Best laugh I've had in years, Murphy lab refinish

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    dindude said:
    Can I ask the real question in the room.

Why is the guy who runs Daniel’s Guitars called Darren? 
    Same as Matt at Monty’s I assume…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    dindude said:

I believe it was named in memory of his son Daniel, who sadly died far too young.
    Oh shit , I had no idea :-(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    edited February 21 tFB Trader
    dindude said:

No, not the same. Daniel was Darren’s son who passed away about 5/6 years ago. 
  • KurasKuras Frets: 77
    edited February 21
    I'm saddened to see some of the comments about Darren. I've bought a few guitars from him and he is a passionate and talented expert in these matters who always puts the customer first. I assume that some of these comments are from people who haven't met the fella, played any of his instruments to know the quality of his craftsmanship and this has blown out of proportion and taken out of context. It is from my perspective that the laughter was Darren's gripe that Gibson wouldn't take the LP back combined with the poor quality of the finish. I see no harm done to the customer who will now have his LP finished properly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    dindude said:

Might be worth removing the LOL from Dindude’s original question post. 
    Apologies - had no idea about the back story and would not have been so glib, had I known. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:

Might be worth removing the LOL from Dindude’s original question post. 
    Apologies - had no idea about the back story and would not have been so glib, had I known. 
    I’ve edited my post accordingly. I wasn’t snapping at you btw, just in case it came across like that. 

Every “trader” on here has a story to tell. I’d love to see some threads from fellow traders telling us all about themselves, how they got started, future plans and why they continue to do what they do. There’s so much we don’t know.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    tFB Trader
    It might be a silly suggestion, but perhaps everyone should take a chill pill ... and go look at cat pictures on Facebook or something? 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    edited February 21
    Snags said:
    If you dish it out, you’ve got to be able to take it…

Does that apply to smug shit-stirring superciliousness too?

Asking for a friend who has form ...
    Absolutely.

Thats the point, it applies to all of us. ;)

I admire people who have the balls to put their heads above the parapet… it’s just a shame when they feel they have to delete their posts. I’m sure Darren never expected this kind of backlash.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    It might be a silly suggestion, but perhaps everyone should take a chill pill ... and go look at cat pictures on Facebook or something? 
    Best I could do... 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited February 21
    I admire people who have the balls to put their heads above the parapet… it’s just a shame when they feel they have to delete their posts. I’m sure Darren never expected this kind of backlash.
    I've not been posting in this thread because it's not doing much to add to the FB's spirit of peace, love and understanding, but if people put their heads above the parapet then surely it's on the understanding that someone may take a shot at them.  And nobody "had to" delete their posts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 773
    What's the general consensus with sticking gaffa tape on a cat?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    TDubs said:

I tried this once with a dog.  It was a Murphy Lab.  It didn't end well.
    shynx.jpg 99.3K
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    tFB Trader
    TDubs said:
    If anyone tried that with any of my three cats they'd be hunting for any remaining scraps of flesh left on their hands ... bad enough giving em anti flea drops! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 778
    Is this a hint as to who the original owner was and why it needs the refinish?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588

my new "only fans"   has just gone live
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 253
    edited February 21
    Kuras said:
    I'm saddened to see some of the comments about Darren. I've bought a few guitars from him and he is a passionate and talented expert in these matters who always puts the customer first. I assume that some of these comments are from people who haven't met the fella, played any of his instruments to know the quality of his craftsmanship and this has blown out of proportion and taken out of context. It is from my perspective that the laughter was Darren's gripe that Gibson wouldn't take the LP back combined with the poor quality of the finish. I see no harm done to the customer who will now have his LP finished properly.
    I'm not sure really.. no one has questioned the quality of his work, or craftsmanship, that's not really got anything to do with it. The attitude in the posts was in my view were out of line, and the post where it was suggested he was 'done with this, so move on' as if it's his thing and no one else can have a view point on it once he's had enough. There was no need for it, and there were several posts where he could have took what people were saying on board.

If the gripe was at Gibson for not taking the guitar back, surely it would have made more sense to reply to my post asking for context by giving information about what had happened rather than a simple 'I don't care what you think, or if you like your one' (I don't have one, currently don't own a single Gibson)

As has been said many times, there's no need for pitchforks etc, however if Gibson have finish issues and are out of line, we point it out, so if someone posts / does something I feel is out of line, I'll point it out. Does it mean the guy makes bad guitars, no, does it mean he doesn't do good re-fins / repair work, certainly not. Just think on this one the way he dealt with the situation and his posts aimed at me were out of line.

Anyway enough from me... talking about cats, has anyone got £3698 I can borrow? I've been eyeing up the Feline 25th Anniversary Lion they've got on sale for a good couple years, it's a looker 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    edited February 21
    Some people have spent their time mastering a craft rather than how to be internet savvy. 
    I wouldn't send my luthier friend within a mile of this place, there's a reason barely any of the vendors stick around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1738
    DefaultM said:
    Some people have spent their time mastering a craft rather than their internet persona. 
    I wouldn't send my luthier friend within a mile of this place, there's a reason barely any of the vendors stick around.
    If you'd described it as 'internet savvy' I'd agree completely.

Kinda obvious from the outset how it was going to go surely when somebody in the trade started running down somebody else's handiwork - even if it was the Big G - no ?
    AK99 said:
    DefaultM said:
    Some people have spent their time mastering a craft rather than their internet persona. 
    If you'd described it as 'internet savvy' I'd agree completely.

Kinda obvious from the outset how it was going to go surely when somebody in the trade started running down somebody else's handiwork - even if it was the Big G - no ?
    Yes that's more what I meant so I've edited it thanks.
    And no, every time I go see my friend for something doing I spend minimum 60 minutes being shown expensive guitars he's got in that were 'a bag of shit' and how he's improved them. He talks like that to everyone because he's angry they've paid so much for what he sees as not up to the price. 
    It took me back a bit 20 years ago when I first met him, but he's backed it up time and again.
    A good luthier is usually a bit of a nutcase, and if you want to learn from them or even just continue receiving their work you need to learn to nod along.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.