Why do people get so upset about pricing?

What's Hot

Comments

• But it hasn’t sold with the 100% mark up so if it sticks, it’ll presumably get discounted. The problem for a buyer is finding a similar one to compare the price to and that is why the current seller feels he can add that mark up for effectively a one-off in the market. 
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1451
    Id say more fool the person paying the money for inflated prices. Dont want to pay that much? Go elsewhere that has them for the price.
    Its free and easy to advertise stuff these days so of course, ad price does not equate to sold price. E bay is a good check for that.
    I do get the point re flippers/bedroom dealer on here though, aka its not allowed. That said, over half the classifieds seem to be from people with low fret counts and their discussions are all FS or WTB. Perhaps a minimum fret count could be in order.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • elstoof said:
    When a car dealer buys a car at x and sells at y, they generally add value by servicing, offering a warranty etc. so a higher price is often worth it.

A bedroom flipper adds fuck all, just takes something off the market and increases the price the very next day. Often before they’ve even received it themselves 
    But it's their own property ... they can do what they like with it. Sell it for exactly what they want to. 
    I think the point is that they only bought it with the express intention of gouging another musician for it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    elstoof said:
    When a car dealer buys a car at x and sells at y, they generally add value by servicing, offering a warranty etc. so a higher price is often worth it.

A bedroom flipper adds fuck all, just takes something off the market and increases the price the very next day. Often before they’ve even received it themselves 
    But it's their own property ... they can do what they like with it. Sell it for exactly what they want to. 
    I think the point is that they only bought it with the express intention of gouging another musician for it. 
    So what? We have never been in an era when so many fantastic guitars are available for well under £500. 

When a guitar is expensive and relatively rare, you're going to have to pay over the odds for it. Same with cars, faberge eggs, Banksies, etc.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Just popped on to (the other) FB and saw this:

ISTM that the problem isn't the sellers' pricing, it's buyers' insatiable thirst.
    Untitled.jpg 357.3K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10399
    edited February 25
    goldtop said:

ISTM that the problem isn't the sellers' pricing, it's buyers' who can't control their spending or impulsive behaviour. 
    FTFY. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28079
    goldtop said:

ISTM that the problem isn't the sellers' pricing, it's buyers' insatiable thirst.

And they’re still looking for a good one …

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3691
    TTony said:
    goldtop said:

And they’re still looking for a good one …

:D
    Oh look, a guitar, just like my other guitars, I best buy it because I have no life otherwise.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • I unknowingly sold to Bognor Regis and only realised when he tried to squeeze a £75 discount after the guitar had been delivered.  The selector switch had been broken during shipping. He accused me of breaking it between the point of sale and packing then told me that he would order a switch from the US for $100. 
    I sold at £1400 and he listed for £2700 but the description was very much in the grey area between misrepresentation and dishonest.  The person who bought it found my sale listing and contacted me. They were new to buying guitars and wanted to buy something special after a major life event.  They were distressed to hear that the guitar had had a number of owners and that I had played it every day for 2 years.  The buyer eventually got a full refund via eBay. Bognor listed it again at the same price and probably sold to someone else who does not track market prices the way Fretboard members do.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    I spent a happy afternoon learning and practising Brian Setzer licks and solos on my number 1 Telecaster.
    Pretty much every time I don't pick up that guitar for a few weeks I fall in love with it again when I do pick it up.

The neck was from a Vintage Vibe Squier with P90s ... which was a meh guitar with a stunning neck. So I junked the rest of the guitar and added an ash body finished in Tru-Oil, all slotted screw heads on all the hardware, a bakelite pickguard, four way selector CTS pots and CRL switch ... and of course a tapped Wapping Wharf bridge and a HonkyTonk Angel alnico 3 neck pickup. I doubt if I broke up the guitar I'd get more than a couple of hundred quid for the parts.

But it's not about the money ... that guitar was born out of all the stuff I love and brought together in one instrument. I'll go out feet first with that guitar ... but it's worth virtually nothing compared to the stuff folks here are getting their sphincters in a pucker about. 
    If I went bust tomorrow and had to sell every guitar I own ... I could justify keeping that Tele as pretty much nobody else would want it ...
     so what I really don't get from this thread is that everyone seems to be in love with guitars as 'trading stamps and wall candy' So why do you need you need to keep buying new guitars all the time? It won't make you a better guitarist ... practise will.
    Buy something good ... or buy something so so and make it good  - then go be a guitarist not a stamp collector. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23760
    elstoof said:

They bought it with the express intention of selling it, at a profit, to someone who willingly buys it.  How is that "gouging another musician"?  There's no victim here.  Why is the seller Dick Dastardly?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23760
    goldtop said:

It's a bloody ugly room.  Sell a couple of guitars and get a decorator in.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12536
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:

Can anyone see they aren't all Harley Bentons?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5011
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:

There's hardly a bent one there!
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2254
    I unknowingly sold to Bognor Regis and only realised when he tried to squeeze a £75 discount after the guitar had been delivered.  The selector switch had been broken during shipping. He accused me of breaking it between the point of sale and packing then told me that he would order a switch from the US for $100. 
    I sold at £1400 and he listed for £2700 but the description was very much in the grey area between misrepresentation and dishonest.  The person who bought it found my sale listing and contacted me. They were new to buying guitars and wanted to buy something special after a major life event.  They were distressed to hear that the guitar had had a number of owners and that I had played it every day for 2 years.  The buyer eventually got a full refund via eBay. Bognor listed it again at the same price and probably sold to someone else who does not track market prices the way Fretboard members do.

What an utter douche bag that guy is. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12536
    prowla said:
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:

There's hardly a bent one there!
    Ba doom tsh!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1563
    I’m generally OK with dealers’ prices. If they have something I like and I happen to have the money, I’ll pay up. End of the story. 

What boils my piss is dealers who are not OK with folks’ prices. 

Like when they’ll use a sob story to increase their margins. Or when they’ll aggressively lowball people because they’re pricing stuff above their idea of ‘market price’. Nothing illegal, it just boils my piss.  
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• TTony said:
    Do people really get upset about pricing?

You owe me a new keyboard, because I snorted coffee all over mine when I read this. 

People here get unbelievably angry about pricing. "look at this chancer on ebay" is one of the forum's favourite thread types and the "don't comment on pricing" classifieds rule must be a) one of the most frequently broken ones and b) source of many, many a modmin involvement. 

The Amateur Pricing Police are all over gear forums. They really do need to get out more. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    Offset said: I get it - but it doesn't mean said chancer is going to sell it for that dumb-arsed amount :-)
    Yes true, but what happens is ebay, reverb etc are full of uneducated chancers who just invent a ludicrous price which in turn then attracts other sellers who see these and think they'll do likewise and next minute we have dozens of overpriced guitars. Many dealers are happy to do likewise, there were several other guitars belonging to my friend, Essex G has one on ebay and the Dubai dealer Art of Guitar bought a couple of his Cunetto era Custom Shops too. The Red Cunetto Tele went for £2500 and is still on sale there at £7k. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 29208
    Philly_Q said:

Why is the seller Dick Dastardly?
    Because of the hat and moustache.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom