Why do people get so upset about pricing?

What's Hot
Hi,

Why do some folk on here get so upset about pricing?

Shops buy at x and sell at y.
Guitar shops buy at x and sell at y.
Bedroom dealers buy at x and sell at y.

I get the vibe there are plenty of people on here who own houses, cars and some lovely guitars  :)

If you bought your house 10 years ago for X and it is worth y in the current market, no one sells it at X our of moral principal. No one. 

Every car dealer ever buys a car at X and sells it a y. Main dealer, second hand dealer, small dealer. Cars generally depreciate. No one is going to be surprised by buying a car new for x and it being worth a lot less 100,000 miles later. 

If you don't want it don't buy it?

I would love to buy some (super amazing thing guitar, house, collectors item guitar)  for what it was worth before I was born, but that's not possible. They don't cost that now.

An acquaintance had to sell a V12 E type car (because he had been very bad and the courts gave home a whopping fine). He was tracing the price of them 40 years later. He has missed the only way to still have that car instead of a pile of rust was a) don't use it b) have had 2 nut and bolt restorations at          £££££ each+ tax+ insurance. Add that all together and that's why those cars cost that now.

I don't get the upset when someone buys a guitar for x and sells it for y.

Why do folk get so upset about it?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Because making money is bad when other people do it. :)
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    edited February 25
    I guess it’s all down to market value. When an individual doesn’t listen to it even after researching etc and inflates its price way over the price of recent sales of it. It’s then that others get upset I suppose. But end off the day one would know that as it won’t get sold. Happens to me all the time. I’ve never made money on selling pedals or guitars tbh 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2280
    Use the search function with the words bedroom dealers and lies. Then use the search function with Essex and recording and studios, make your own mind up. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 332
    I agree in principle. One needs to be educated and patient to find the right guitar for the right price. 

My annoyance bubbles up when those with funds or connection leverage that to their advantage. Early access, buying up amounts to drive the market, etc…

Still though, I’m not guaranteed anything in this life, certainly not a particular guitar at a particular price I choose. 

Best not to stress about factors out of one’s control. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11146
    tFB Trader
    Because making money is bad when other people do it. :)
    This 100% 

If it's your hobby - then it's just that. Golf, skiing, collecting antiques ... are all expensive hobbies.  Collecting guitars is expensive too.
    You can own just one and create music you know.   

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2586
    When a car dealer buys a car at x and sells at y, they generally add value by servicing, offering a warranty etc. so a higher price is often worth it.

A bedroom flipper adds fuck all, just takes something off the market and increases the price the very next day. Often before they’ve even received it themselves 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    When a car dealer buys a car at x and sells at y, they generally add value by servicing, offering a warranty etc. so a higher price is often worth it.

A bedroom flipper adds fuck all, just takes something off the market and increases the price the very next day. Often before they’ve even received it themselves 
    But it's their own property ... they can do what they like with it. Sell it for exactly what they want to. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2520
    I guess it’s all down to market value. When an individual doesn’t listen to it even after researching etc and inflates its price way over the price of recent sales of it. It’s then that others get upset I suppose. But end off the day one would know that as it won’t get sold. Happens to me all the time. I’ve never made money on selling pedals or guitars tbh 
    Equally, why not just let the market decide. If someone has a guitar listed for months, it's either because it's a very niche guitar or it's been priced too high.
    On the other side, if you've listed a guitar for a price and it's not sold in weeks then don't be offended when someone suggests lowering the price.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    elstoof said:

But it's their own property ... they can do what they like with it. Sell it for exactly what they want to. 
    Yes they can, but I don’t have to like it. There’s plenty more things that are correct which I don’t agree with
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    strtdv said:
    Equally, why not just let the market decide. If someone has a guitar listed for months, it's either because it's a very niche guitar or it's been priced too high.
    On the other side, if you've listed a guitar for a price and it's not sold in weeks then don't be offended when someone suggests lowering the price.
    The market always does decide ... a load of whinging from a bunch of aging blokes isn't going to change that ;-) 
    (I'm an aging bloke too ... of course). 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    Do people really get upset about pricing?

Does anyone here not accept that general inflation and supply/demand (particularly of collectibles) means that someone could buy a guitar for £1000 5 years ago, and sell it for £2000 today?  (Granted, for most of us, that equation works the other way around).

What I've seen people getting upset about is the situation where someone - typically the bedroom dealer - has tried to con a seller into accepting a lower price in order to flip it themselves for profit.  And, an extension of that, where a disguised trader (those bedroom flippers again) abuses the good nature of the Classifieds here to siphon out mates-rates stuff to sell-on elsewhere.

And ERS - well, not sure anyone gets upset about him, he's just comedy gold ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    You do see a fair bit of “a grand for an epiphone?” On here tbf
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    You do see a fair bit of “a grand for an epiphone?” On here tbf
    But isn't that more about the company trying to elivate the brand's market position (a bloody difficult thing) rather than the actual price. £1200 for a good single cut being acceptable, but if it say Epiphone ... not so much? 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    Because making money is bad when other people do it. :)
    This 100% 

that.   

TTony said:
    Do people really get upset about pricing?

a lot appear to get really upset about "bedroom shifters/dealers"    which has always amazed me. No-one is forced to buy anything from a specific source.  Don't like it - dont buy it.  Its only a fucking guitar not a dialysis machine
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10398
    Why do some folk on here get so upset about pricing?
    Because want to buy things but we can't because people are selling used stuff at new prices when a few years ago they were priced reasonably. There has been a definitive shift with all this stuff, and this isn't the same as the expected rise with investor/collectors pieces.

Everything is being bought up by a select few, put away and then later sold at high prices. Guitars, tickets Lego, Synths. You can say 'it's the market, don't buy it if you can't afford it blah blah' but this ignores the wider issue, that normal people are being priced out of EVERYTHING because of greed and opportunist behaviour that only serves the individual. It's not an insignificant issue. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    Guitar instrument pricing is all a bit speculative at the moment and there are a lot of chancers about asking daft prices for things, trying to convince others that the Squire (sic) Affinity they have for sale is worth the same at the one really good JV (or whatever it was) which someone may have paid £1k for.
    It's happening with the companies junior brands like Squier, Epiphone and so-on; Warwick were the first I noticed who hiked the prices of the RockBass range.
    And the result is a step increase in the asking prices in the used market.
    I'm seeing things where people are just plain asking too much and I feel sorry for folks who are taken in and hand over their hard-earned.
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2885
    edited February 25
    Also think you get the really disingenuous buyers who are actually dealers.

We had one guy on here that turned out to be a dealer. Whenever I sold something on ebay or here he would message me within five minutes of listing to tell me I didn't have a hope of selling it for my price and I should sell it to him for a grand less.

After telling him where to go you'd get a second message from his other accounts saying the same thing.

Obviously these muppets can be ignored - but they're now vat registered dealers. 

And absolutely if I go to a shop and ask for a px I expect to be taking it firmly up the bottom. 

I also think people have got miffed seeing anything decent on a private sale being accumulated by the likes of Jordan etc, then immediately being inflated by a grand plus.
    So there almost becomes nothing used to buy unless you go to one of the small (now vat paying but previously not) dealers. 
    Gone are the days when you had hit pay day and thought, I wonder what nice things are for sale atm - now it's, I wonder what the small dealer bought off ebay last week and has inflated my thirty percent to achieve his required margin. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1999
    edited February 25
    I don't mind high guitar prices because it stops me buying more guitars I don't need. I'm in the process of trying to sell some of my guitars but that's proving difficult. Not because the market is tough but because I can't bear to part with any and keep finding excuses to keep whichever guitar is up for consideration. I've managed to sell 3 in 6 months and cried for days each time 

My only problem with pricing is I cannot understand why some wood, plastic and a few bits of cheap monkey metal can possibly be worth the new asking price of £12k and that there are people daft enough to pay it (especially if it's going to sit in its case most of its life). The custom market is another case of diminishing returns. I don't go for the super cheap but don't go for the super expensive either. Depends on your disposable income I suppose but everyone will have a limit on what they would shell out on a guitar unless they're a flipper.  

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Jono111Jono111 Frets: 257
    Houses increase over time and people who sell to car dealerships/ shops generally don't make the goods available to all via eBay etc first so you never get the chance to buy the item cheaper.
    Bedroom flippers can double the price of a item in a few seconds and have removed the opportunity for anyone   who actually wanted to use the item to buy at the cheaper price.
    But yes it's just business

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    It doesn’t help when ppl expect  top line  when it’s most definitely a buyers market