Why do people get so upset about pricing?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2457
    robgilmo said:
    I don't see an issue with it, I  bought a gibbo LP standard at a garage sale last week for 150 quid, I should easily get 500 for it on ebay.
    Don't try that too often now ebay are passing on your details to HMRC and they can also go back over your last seven years of transactions.
    'If you're selling 30 or more items a year OR have total earnings over the equivalent of £1,770. eBay will automatically share this information with HMRC by 31 January 2025 – the first lot of data-sharing will cover the current 2023/24 tax year'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Silly me...JG put the ebay Black 56 Relic FCS Strat up a £100 overnight lol...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3685
    Strat54 said:
    robgilmo said:
    I don't see an issue with it, I  bought a gibbo LP standard at a garage sale last week for 150 quid, I should easily get 500 for it on ebay.
    Don't try that too often now ebay are passing on your details to HMRC and they can also go back over your last seven years of transactions.
    'If you're selling 30 or more items a year OR have total earnings over the equivalent of £1,770. eBay will automatically share this information with HMRC by 31 January 2025 – the first lot of data-sharing will cover the current 2023/24 tax year'
    I think the last thing I sold on EBay was around 5 years ago, surely HMRC have to proove you are doing it as a business and not just clearing out your loft, if you buy something for personal use then sell it again you shouldnt be taxed.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 924
    I have more or less stopped trying to sell privately and just trade in. Currently I am considering a sale of a FCS telecaster to a dealer.
    The last four guitars I have listed here were listed close to what I was getting in trade in but there was no interest.

I think selling on the fretboard is a good option if you are on the mainland but it is definitely easier for me to part exchange or sell to a retailer/dealer**.

**there are a couple of dealers that I won't sell to.

• bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2885
    edited March 9
    @bacchanalian - I recently spoke to a bricks and mortar retailer about a guitar for sale. Was after it for cash but I mentioned part exchange, more out of interest. 
    I then sold the guitar privately and the dealer had offered me 33% of what I got privately.
    Where are you trading your guitars to get decent values?

Albeit I know dealers that will buy off ebay if they want stock and offer the same as private buyers if the item goes cheapish. 

@bgmartinsbridge Old school bricks and mortar guy still living in  the past regarding p/x. The new breed are happy to buy at £2500 and sell for £3250/£3500. Different business models. Some don't want huge mark ups and have the thing for sale for 12 months. 
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 924
    Coda mostly and Max Guitar in the Netherlands but I think BREXIT has closed that avenue.
    Of course you may get a bit of discount if you are not trading.

I don't want to go into details but I have offers for the FCS telecaster that I believe are better than anything I would realise here.

There is also an element where I just can't be bothered anymore. 

Recently I thought I had agreed a deal and gave the potential buyer a week to try one out in a shop. I was not inundated with offers but there was one other interested party. After trying out the guitar in a shop the buyer offered £50 less. Jordan Guitars had already offered within £100 of the offer. 
    Of course the happy ending is I have decided to keep it.