Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6908
    I also think it is a case of music journalists thinking they are important.
    Agreed. Price has aligned himself so closely to the Manics that I am not 100% sure he realises he has never been in the band…

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In non-Simon Price news, I haven’t even had an email telling me my interest has been registered or whatever the first stage is. Mrs has, but hasn’t had the ballot email so is really gutted - they mean a hell of a lot to her.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4691
    They were certainly influential back in the Melody Maker/NME/Kerrang/Mixmag days, it's easy to forget how important it was for bands to court them in order to get a bit of press.

I think the days of Mick Wall getting his name into a song on an album by possibly the biggest band around are long gone, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24949
    I think that article is pretty accurate for an opinion piece. They’re awful human beings who revelled in their own reputations. can’t complain if others are up in arms about it.
    I don't have strong enough opinions on - or knowledge of - the Gallaghers to get worked up about what he said, but I thought it was quite a good read.  It was almost like the stuff rock journalists used to write back in the '80s when it was OK to express strong opinions and nobody gave a shit if it upset anyone.

(And for the avoidance of doubt, that's not an "anti-woke" sentiment, it's right that we're more considerate of people's feelings now, but things were different then and I did enjoy that kind of opinionated music journalism.)

Having said all that, Simon Price has been in the business a long time and he must have encountered a lot of boorish rock star behaviour, yet he writes as if Oasis were somehow uniquely terrible people.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1510
    randella said:
    They were certainly influential back in the Melody Maker/NME/Kerrang/Mixmag days, it's easy to forget how important it was for bands to court them in order to get a bit of press.

I think the days of Mick Wall getting his name into a song on an album by possibly the biggest band around are long gone, though.
    It's all a load of bollox if you think about it though. Bread and circus. Investigative journalists are important, music journalists, not so much, as much as they like to think they are/were.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 736
    As a teenager in the late 90s I got fed up very quickly of the relentless negativity and condescension in the NME as it came across as highly pseudo intellectual and trying to be a social science journal and anyone who wanted to have a little fun with music was pilloried. Oh and only a narrow section of Indie allowed. Anything else was called "middle class" or discounted completely like metal etc.

No surprise it folded eventually.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    In non-Simon Price news, I haven’t even had an email telling me my interest has been registered or whatever the first stage is. Mrs has, but hasn’t had the ballot email so is really gutted - they mean a hell of a lot to her.

Yes, let's do other news...

No sign of ballot wins for me or Mrs Ed yet either.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5165
    Pre sale code just received.... Looks pretty locked down as well, linked to your Ticketmaster account and 4 tix only

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Boromedic said:
    Pre sale code just received.... Looks pretty locked down as well, linked to your Ticketmaster account and 4 tix only
    BASTARD!!!!!!
    Congratulations mate :grimace: 

• randellarandella Frets: 4691
    If this ballot thing is doing anything at all, it's making me very pessimistic about my shot at getting anything for Heaton Park tomorrow a.m. having not entered beforehand.

We'll have to see...
    Just got an email... got excited... marketing shite from Andertons!! :angry: 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9058
    Boromedic said:
    Have I ever told you that you're not only ruggedly handsome, but manage to carry off the difficult masculinity of being both strong, yet sensitive..? :kissing_wink: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Other half now has a confirmed ballot entry. This of course is not an offer of sale
    @Boromedic has just started a misc for sale thread...

"Spare Oasis tickets, one million quid or your first born son..."
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    Danny1969 said:
    Noels a little older than me and Liam a little younger. You start off young and act accordingly to your environment. Building sites in the eighties were about the most homophobic, racist and sexist places you could work. Back then In your teens you wouldn't  know a whole lot about the world in general, your education comes from your family and your workplace. Kids started working with men early in those environments. I started as a labourer at 15, you just want to fit in at that age so you laugh at the jokes and go with the flow. 
    Later in life with more information and wisdom you can change, I certainly did and I think the Gallaghers have.  So pulling them up on laddish boorish behaviour from 25 years ago is a bit pointless. 

I agree,  generally. I've worked some those kind of environments. 

It's interesting to hear how their accents have changed over the years too.

Liams seems to be stronger than ever.
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    edited August 30
    darthed1981 said:

Does it make the sun sessions less iconic, knowing that Elvis married Priscilla when she was 14?
    Does it make Kashmir a less-cool riff that Jimmy Page disappeared off around the world with a 14yr old girl he was shagging?
    Does it make NMTB a less important album that the bassist quite possibly murdered his girlfriend?
    Is 80s hair-metal less fun because of the casual misogyny?
    Is Bowie a less stunning musical innovator because of his rumoured taste for the younger groupie?
    Does it make Eric Clapton less of an oldywonk blues-bore-wanker?
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
    edited August 30
    Boromedic said:
    BASTARD!!!!!!
    Congratulations mate grimace 

Sorry man, and thank you also, was hoping it would lead to a spate of similar posts! Fingers crossed for you

JerkMoans said:
    Boromedic said:
    Have I ever told you that you're not only ruggedly handsome, but manage to carry off the difficult masculinity of being both strong, yet sensitive..? :kissing_wink: 
    How many do you want?! Hahaha

Boromedic said:
    Boromedic said:
    BASTARD!!!!!!
    Congratulations mate :grimace: 

Sorry man, and thank you also, was hoping it would lead to a spare of similar posts! Fingers crossed for you :)
    Thanks mate - glad you got in there!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7351
    Boromedic said:
    That’s good to hear, I think 4 tickets is quite generous - I’d only allow 1 for pre sale. It should be for fans not touts.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1