Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20452
    JerkMoans said:
    Whoa: I was at V Festival in 2009, waiting to see them the evening it was announced they'd broken up...

...just had the email confirming I have a place in the ballot.  Regrettably, I doubt this has any cosmic meaning.
    I would have thought that Noel Gallagher would have been just the chap that would be up for rehoming a certain Gibson Custom Shop John Lennon Les Paul Junior?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23061
    Offset said:
    Marr is right. After the false start of the Healers, he seems to be on a solid run with his solo band. He gets decent coverage on the BBC - festival sets etc get included on the iPlayer - his books did well and he seems to be enjoying the freedom that he left the Smiths to find. 
      He also plays the Smiths songs with considerably more authenticity than Morrissey’s solo band. 
      Morrissey is also tainted goods these days, so avoiding guilt by association is a shrewd move.

Also, with scant hope of Joyce being included and Rourke dead…how exactly would it be The Smiths?

"The latest statement from Morrissey, who rarely speaks to the media, said the live music promoter "made a lucrative offer to both Morrissey and Marr to tour worldwide as 'The Smiths' throughout 2025".

"Morrissey said Yes to the offer; Marr ignored the offer," it said, beneath a picture of the pair during their time together in The Smiths.

"Morrissey undertakes a largely sold out tour of the USA in November.

"Marr continues to tour as a special guest to New Order."

One of these men remains true to the spirit of the Smiths. The other one is now living a musical life he caricatured in Paint a Vulgar Picture. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4890
    Pinch of salt maybe but I’ve seen on Reddit today a Twitter exchange with Liam where he’s asked when they are in the studio to record new material. ‘November’ is the one word answer.
    I fear the plagiarism lawyers would rip shit out of a new ‘classic’ Oasis album in this day and age, and the world would rip the shit out of anything approaching a Beady Eye or Gallagher / Squire level of a quality album.

I think there could be a few classics residing in them however.  I feel the country / world could really do with them to get a few anthems out right now.   Fingers crossed from a non Oasis fanboy.  If they pulled that together I think it would be massive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7655
    edited August 30
    Jetsam1 said:
    The Guardian view:

Comments are true holier than thou. You would think Noel and Liam had been boiling babies.

The author of the piece looks like exactly the sort of humourless twat who’s unable to derive any pleasure from music unless it’s arty and socially incisive, and will have a good sneer at anyone who has the temerity to enjoy straightforward rock music.

I notice he got to the very last paragraph before apparently realising that it was meant to be a music article and dashing off a few lines about how he didn’t like their songs, having spent the rest of the article holding forth about their beastly laddish behaviour.

Peak Guardian, indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 839
    edited August 30
    I think that article is pretty accurate for an opinion piece. They’re awful human beings who revelled in their own reputations. can’t complain if others are up in arms about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7351
    Anyone got a pre-sale code yet?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10922
    Noels a little older than me and Liam a little younger. You start off young and act accordingly to your environment. Building sites in the eighties were about the most homophobic, racist and sexist places you could work. Back then In your teens you wouldn't  know a whole lot about the world in general, your education comes from your family and your workplace. Kids started working with men early in those environments. I started as a labourer at 15, you just want to fit in at that age so you laugh at the jokes and go with the flow. 
    Later in life with more information and wisdom you can change, I certainly did and I think the Gallaghers have.  So pulling them up on laddish boorish behaviour from 25 years ago is a bit pointless. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7655
    I think that article is pretty accurate for an opinion piece. They’re awful human beings who revelled in their own reputations. can’t complain if others are up in arms about it.
    They’re badly behaved.

How is that relevant to the music?
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1836
    Danny1969 said:
    Noels a little older than me and Liam a little younger. You start off young and act accordingly to your environment. Building sites in the eighties were about the most homophobic, racist and sexist places you could work. Back then In your teens you wouldn't  know a whole lot about the world in general, your education comes from your family and your workplace. Kids started working with men early in those environments. I started as a labourer at 15, you just want to fit in at that age so you laugh at the jokes and go with the flow. 
    Later in life with more information and wisdom you can change, I certainly did and I think the Gallaghers have.  So pulling them up on laddish boorish behaviour from 25 years ago is a bit pointless. 
    Nailed it @Danny1969 ;
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    Pretty accurate for an opinion piece?  You mean the guy managed to write his own opinion down?

Oasis aren't even close to awful human beings, they have been badly behaved drunks a fair bit, they have said some bad things over the years... they've never DONE anything bad, I'm aware of...

There is a very strong argument that with rock music, if you want to love it, you really need to divide the music from the public press-derived perceptions of the people involved... let us not forget in the annals of rock icons...

Does it make the sun sessions less iconic, knowing that Elvis married Priscilla when she was 14?
    Does it make Kashmir a less-cool riff that Jimmy Page disappeared off around the world with a 14yr old girl he was shagging?
    Does it make NMTB a less important album that the bassist quite possibly murdered his girlfriend?
    Is 80s hair-metal less fun because of the casual misogyny?
    Is Bowie a less stunning musical innovator because of his rumoured taste for the younger groupie?

I've said on here before - the mystique and worship of rock music can go to silly extremes.  These are people, with some great songs and some musical talent, put on a massive world stage with unlimited supplies of drink and drugs and many, if not most, of them deal with it very badly.

I'm not saying we should put on lostprophets and Gary Glitter and rock out - there is a line in the fucking sand where I just don't want to hear anything from someone - but calling someone an "awful person" for being a bit of a lout?  Naah.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    mrkb said:
    Anyone got a pre-sale code yet?
    Nope - no sign of them coming out yet,

Thanks for the return to topic...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1836
    Shouldn't this be in the Friday humour thread? 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5165
    Same, no code :(

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9058
    Get in!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4691
    The wall-to-wall media coverage is getting really daft now. BBC Breakfast just had on a mildly condescending guy from Which? magazine talking through the ticket buying process.

He said it might be daunting for a lot of people who haven't seen QR codes when buying online.

What does he think that everyone went to Knebworth and all said to themselves afterwards "yeah fuck that, done with gigs now" :lol:
  • randellarandella Frets: 4691
    edited August 30
    @JerkMoans - swap the cider for two-thirds of a pint of Tuborg froth in a plastic beaker and I'm in.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1200
    Cols said:
    Jetsam1 said:
    The Guardian view:

Comments are true holier than thou. You would think Noel and Liam had been boiling babies.

The author of the piece looks like exactly the sort of humourless twat who’s unable to derive any pleasure from music unless it’s arty and socially incisive, and will have a good sneer at anyone who has the temerity to enjoy straightforward rock music.

I notice he got to the very last paragraph before apparently realising that it was meant to be a music article and dashing off a few lines about how he didn’t like their songs, having spent the rest of the article holding forth about their beastly laddish behaviour.

Peak Guardian, indeed.
    Ironically (or not) you have just confirmed all his points.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1510
    Danny1969 said:
    Not just building sites. I would say society from top to bottom in general was like that in the 80s. Just look at who the star comedians were in the UK. Jim Davidson and Roy Chubby Brown. And Jimmy Saville.
    I remember reading James Fearnley's book "Here Comes Everybody" and his only interaction with many Irish in the 70s and 80s was with fellas who came over from rural Ireland, probably had little education, and were horsing shite on building sites all day. You wouldn't know why half of them emigrated, money, work opportunities, running from something else (demons in the head etc). I'd say a lot of the conversation on building sites back then might not have been the most enlightening. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6908
    edited August 30
    Simon Price is a Manics obssessive; he wrote a book about them, appears as a talking head in various documentaries etc etc.
    There’s a time and place for lyrics that challenge, confront, educate and antagonise. There’s also a time and place for mostly meaningless fun. Is fun ever meaningless, though?

It’s the old ‘Sometimes you want steak, sometimes you want a burger’ argument.

The criticisms of the Gallaghers’ previous comments are valid. I won’t seek to defend them.  It’s not unfair to note how old many of the quoted events in the article are, however. As @Danny1969 says, who of us HASN’T revised, updated and improved our moral outlook since 30 years ago? Or ‘grown up’ as it’s also called. 

I don’t believe Oasis caused lots of young men to turn into louts. *Oasis just appealed to young men who were already louts. The people who weren’t that way inclined either listened to something else or ….listened to Oasis without suddenly being corrupted into homophobic misogynists. 

TL:DR version: I get why Simon Price doesn’t like Oasis, but music journalists like to draw cause/ effect conclusions that aren’t really there.

*EDIT: tone clear here, I don’t mean ALL Oasis fans were louts, just that they seemed to appeal to - amongst others - a demographic of louty lads.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1510
    I also think it is a case of music journalists thinking they are important.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom