Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7351

Hope of The States are back together and TV On The Radio are regrouping too. That's good news for me!
    And don’t forget “Niche and the Cool Kids” ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28601
    Danny1969 said:
    The sad thing is that kinda shared experience is unlikely to be repeated unless a very special band comes around again. There's so many ways to listen to music now that the joy of finally getting something great in the mainstream wouldn't really occur now. It's too fragmented. 
    As humans we like to see our choices verified and repeated by others. So the experience of thousands of people enjoying your favorite artist is so much more powerful than listening to the same song on your own.  
    This definitely still happens but you're right it probably won't be on the same scale again.

For me in the last year or so - The National singing Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks genuinely acoustically at the end of a show, completely drowned out by the crowd, War on Drugs playing Under the Pressure, and the Foo Fighters playing Everlong.

I have a feeling Sam Fender is the best hope of something similar from the next generation. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    chris78 said:
    Jetsam1 said:
    The Guardian view:

Comments are true holier than thou. You would think Noel and Liam had been boiling babies.

Pearl clutching bullshit from a knob who’d rather cancel everything. 
    While I agree the piece was rubbish, it's interesting how some people are quick to defend their bigotry.
    Especially considering some of the comments on other parts of the forum.
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1510
    mo6020 said:
    randella said:
    Jetsam1 said:
    The Guardian view:

Comments are true holier than thou. You would think Noel and Liam had been boiling babies.

I'm coming round to the idea that the Guardian comments section is written by a north London-based AI that doesn't own a television, has never eaten at McDonald's, and either hates anything popular or otherwise has mysteriously not heard of it.

It also likes coffee, but not the povvo stuff that *you* drink.
    This bit was certainly beyond parody.. Is "the butcher's apron" another term for the Union flag?

It’s no coincidence that Oasis are the band of choice for flag-shaggers and Reform voters – it’s remarkable how often their fans have the butcher’s apron on their Twitter bios, just as Noel had it painted on his guitar.
    You've never heard the expression "butcher's apron"?
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 514
    Creed_Clicks said:

Genuinely not, I had to Google it.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    mo6020 said:
    Creed_Clicks said:

Genuinely not, I had to Google it.
    It was quite popular in Ireland for a while!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    edited August 29
    Britpop pulled the Union Jack back from it's dubious associations for a while - nobody using it back then was particularly thinking "I'm going to make a statement about our colonial history"... it wasn't really Oasis, or Geri Halliwell's, thing...

Edit: except possibly earlier this year, when Geri may have told Cristian Horner he isn't going near her "territory" again. hehehe..

Kurtis said:
    While I agree the piece was rubbish, it's interesting how some people are quick to defend their bigotry.
    Especially considering some of the comments on other parts of the forum.
    Nobody has defended it - making homophobic comments isn't nice - especially as Oasis no doubt have thousands of gay fans who deserve better from Noel and Liam.

Remember two things, in the context of the article though...

1.  The guy has pulled some bad things, out of context, and used them to support his tedious "I'm too good for Oasis" narrative.  Everywhere Noel and Liam went for years there was some journalist waiting for a drunken comment for their next front page - journalists are dicks sometimes.

2.  He is bigging up the Manics by point of comparison... now I love the Manics as much as or even more than Oasis... they are IMHO one of the greatest bands of all time... but we all know Nicky Wire once said some terrible stuff I won't repeat... he has apologised as a grown up for saying it, said he profoundly regrets it and that he was a dickhead to say it - so I forgive him personally, Stipe might not mind you... but throwing them out as paragons on that basis because of their superior lefty credentials?  Price can do one.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Anyhow - back on topic - three new dates already added!!
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 514
    Mad fer it.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1200
    Yeah I guess that was the point of the pre-sale email gimmick - get numbers on how many might be interested.
  • Heard £149 a ticket. Might be ‘f*** that’ territory for me if true.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28601
    Heard £149 a ticket. Might be ‘f*** that’ territory for me if true.
    And no doubt half will be on stubhub for £1,499 by the end of Sunday :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited August 29
    I also don't think the Gallaghers were flag shaggers back when Noel had the union jack guitar. (Them being kids of immigrants and all, though that doesn't stop Morrissey). Well, maybe they would be inclined to vote more to the right as they got richer! Whether they are clued in to what is going on in general in the world, who knows, only them. They're not supposed to be taken seriously in any case.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5165
    Heard £149 a ticket. Might be ‘f*** that’ territory for me if true.
    That's been confirmed, they're mostly £135 plus the bullshit fees they add on for nothing.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Seating at the stadiums is less than £100 though.

Boromedic said:
    Upto £230....!!
    LPManic said:
    Yeah I guess that was the point of the pre-sale email gimmick - get numbers on how many might be interested.
    "A great many" - seems to be the answer.

SeeTickets was taken down by people checking the prices...
    Boromedic said:
    Upto £230....!!
    Yeah saw that for the hospitality packages etc. I mean I figured standing would be over £100 like, at least they're not doing golden circle and all that though. 

• I also don't think the Gallaghers were flag shaggers back when Noel had the union jacks guitar. (Them being kids of immigrants and all, though that doesn't stop Morrissey). Well, maybe they would be inclined to vote more to the right as they got richer! Whether they are clued in to what is going on in general in the world, who knows, only them. They're not supposed to be taken seriously in any case.
    Noel is a bit of a closet Tory now. Don’t think he’s ever really understood politics tbh.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23061
    Jetsam1 said:
    The Guardian view:

Yeah it's so painfully Guardian you worry about the poor chap sitting down for fear of sucking up the chair.

It really isn't. Pricey was writing the very same stuff in Melody Maker years ago. His points about class are quite true. Oasis were pushed as authentically working class folk in a way that Pulp weren't. I'll disagree with him about Oasis being popular with all the flag shaggers as that's ironically the same sort of crass generalization he complains about when it comes to the working class though.