Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4148
    I agree that’s there’s great tracks across the whole catalogue. And still some great B Sides, though perhaps not Masterplan level.

He’s still writing good stuff, Council Skies is a great album.

I reckon Noel will have a stash of songs for ready for Oasis. As stubborn as he has been in public, I am sure he will have been writing stuff over the past 15 years thinking “that’s a Liam song” because he knew this would happen eventually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4691
    edited August 28
    It's funny that while we have had the expected "I was too cool for Oasis because <insert us band> etc etc" posters in... wasn't anyone slightly too old and into rave, ecstasy, the Mondays and Roses?

I was 16 in 1997 when Be Here Now came out, when all life was a flow chart leading to lager, Oasis, Blur and so on... but of course some people a few years older got the pre Britpop wave.

After was a bit weird honestly... my cousin and his mates are a few years younger than me and hit an odd wave of pop punk and rock from the US, think Bloodhound Gang, Blink 182 and RHCP... and of course the kings of us rock, Foo Fighters got to be the big thing for the next lot.

British alt rock didn't half die on its ass after the brief mastery of the Manics and Phonics circa 99.

It's interesting how timelines work.

Four years older than you, so picked up a guitar end of the 80s. Started out copying what I was into - GnR were kings, AC/DC, then into the more shreddy stuff (not that I was ever any good at it).

Then Seattle/alt took over - Nirvana, Pearl Jam (still my favourite band), Soundgarden, Pumpkins, you know the rest.

Oasis - to me at least - turned up a couple of years later. I desperately didn't want to like them solely because of the absolute wanker who'd 'discovered' them before anyone else and was shoving Live Forever down all of our throats at any given opportunity. Despite that, I have a great love for the first couple or three albums. Apart from Live Forever. Through that lot I found the Stone Roses, Mondays, Charlatans, Primal Scream.

Shortly after, I moved to Manchester and got into the club scene. Probably a bit late by the 'cool' metric but I never really cared much about that. I was having fun.

I miss that youth thing of finding something new all the time just from friends at school and college. Nowadays I get the odd recommendation from my mates, but really wouldn't have the first fucking clue what's cool and what isn't :lol:
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4890
    ...but was into classic blues and rock by the time Oasis came out 
    you poor bastard... ;)
    Yeah fuck knows why I listened listen to the original music Oasis ripped off, when I could have listened to their 2nd rate covers.

Ooh look it’s Trex and the Beatles with a nasally whine, what’s not to like.   ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    If they're fans are mainly teenage girls now, they really have made it to the same levels as the beatles! 

;) :3 =)

Seriously, "Brit-pop" really was an interesting phenomenon though. 
    What does it even mean?
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kurtis said:

What does it even mean?
    A catch-all term invented by the media and record company PR to flex anything sounding faintly similar to much bigger acts.

See also: 'grunge'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AornicAornic Frets: 664
    randella said:
    Kurtis said:

What does it even mean?
    A catch-all term invented by the media and record company PR to flex anything sounding faintly similar to much bigger acts.

See also: 'grunge'
    The Smashing Pumpkins were considered a grunge band and held to the same standards by the media, which irked Billy Corgan immensely (hard to do I know) and he had a point because they were very much fans of the stuff Grunge bands thought were "uncool". Plus the guitar solos and production were in no way punk rock.

I was totally unaware of this show. What a mess. Props to Noel for keeping it together.
    ^^ Was that the one where they bough a load of meth without realising?

I've seen a few bits, absolute bin fire :lol:
    randella said:

The one where Liam was left by his wife the night before apparently and is drunk and angry on stage.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 514
    Aornic said:

I was totally unaware of this show. What a mess. Props to Noel for keeping it together.
    Yeh, Liam's having a complete meltdown from the start. Madness. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 514
    randella said:

That at least makes a better story than the Wembley debacle...
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10576
    Boromedic said:
    Watching some of Liams set at Reading I don't know if I can spend that kind of money and ignore the state of the vocals really. 

Probably moot as the touts and their bots will snap all the tickets up. 
    The clips I saw weren't too bad, I was more annoyed at all the phones in shot, stop filming and enjoy the moment!!
    I hear people say this but I just hear such a huge difference in his voice. Listen to the chorus on Live Forever, it's just not the same. 

His voice was never great, but it's shot now and he's just shouting here. He sounds pretty breathless too. Age plays a huge part in this, but his 'technique' hasn't helped, so maybe he should drop a key (some might say, definitely).
    It absolutely was great in the 90's. He sounds awesome in lots of videos. 
  • You can count me as a fan of latter period Oasis. Notably as well for a guitar/musician forum, there is much more inventive guitar playing and instrumentation throughout a lot of it. I think NmE etc decided it was uninventive dadrock at the time and that became the received opinion. As if they were ever anything else!

I also quite like a lot of the LG solo stuff so maybe I’m a poor arbiter of taste. I know it’s written by committee but I find it much more entertaining than big brother’s solo work.

In fact I hope they actually put out a record after this, and that it’s good, and that Noel can still write Oasis. They should definitely consider putting out a vinyl box set with a blu ray bundled. It’d sell gangbusters.
    Ive never really got this written by committee thing. Im lucky enough to be very good friends (went to college with) one of Liams Band who wrote quite a lot of both records, along with 2 others and Liam is as involved as any co-writer out there today.
      I do hope its not the end for eithers solo bands as they are all great lads 
    Fair enough. The impression I had was that the producer and external songwriters had worked on a lot of it. Colour me wrong then. If there’s any decent reading on it, link me up, some great stuff across the 3 albums. I was probably the only person at Knebworth wishing he’d do a few more instead of the same old Oasis songs! The crowd definitely didn’t concur, apart from 2 songs, were not arsed about new material. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    you poor bastard... ;)
    Yeah fuck knows why I listened listen to the original music Oasis ripped off, when I could have listened to their 2nd rate covers.

Ooh look it’s Trex and the Beatles with a nasally whine, what’s not to like.   ;)

I'm honestly not certain your farts smell as good as you think they do bro...

But... I'm willing to bet some of the stuff you love I hate and so on, so it's swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    Aornic said:
    randella said:

The one where Liam was left by his wife the night before apparently and is drunk and angry on stage.
    Ironically, it's also the one they put out as a live album called "Familiar to Millions"... albeit heavily edited as Liam was not in a good place.

That said, I challenge anyone to be on their best form with their marriage falling apart around them.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Aornic said:
    randella said:

Ironically, it's also the one they put out as a live album called "Familiar to Millions"... albeit heavily edited as Liam was not in a good place.

That said, I challenge anyone to be on their best form with their marriage falling apart around them.
    Yeah the video mentions them lifting vocal takes from a concert in Japan to inject into that live album. A bit of the ol' studio trickery.

Gonna take a second to rave about the guitar work in this. First time hearing it isolated and it's great. 

I wish they added more of this into the live outros, especially the part at 2:40
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 435
    I was 17 when Definitely Maybe came out. I really loved it, it was released just after I passed my driving test and I must have nearly worn the tape out in the car. I thought the 2nd album was a massive disappointment though and totally gave up on them after the third.

Glad they’re getting back together though, a bit of nostalgic mid-life reminiscing is good for the soul. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10922
    Liam had an amazing voice IMO in the nineties but he was ol skool and used wedge monitors at an ever increasing volume rather than move to in-ear-monitors like a lot of other performers. So he was fighting volume with volume and that does tend to weaken the voice. You can just imagine the stage volume ... Mark Coyle is on record saying how loud Noel had his amp and wouldn't turn it down. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4890
    you poor bastard... ;)

I'm honestly not certain your farts smell as good as you think they do bro...

But... I'm willing to bet some of the stuff you love I hate and so on, so it's swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.

I like pretty much everything to be fair, including Oasis, in small amounts. I definitely don’t hate them.  I prefer the songs where Noel sings though tbh.

I saw them at Glastonbury in 1995, they were good but I never really clicked with them.  I don’t know why because I was big into the earlier Manchester bands.  I think playing in bands at the time in Manchester and every band we played with seemed to be trying to be like Oasis put me off a bit. 

Some great bands that year at Glasto btw, The Black Crowes, Pulp, Jamiroquai, Jeff Buckley, the Prodigy.