Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 856
    There’s obviously a huge nostalgia factor here but for me this has felt much more significant than I thought it would - it was quite emotional when i saw the announcement!
    Definitely Maybe hit just as I was leaving school and Morning Glory just as I started uni. They remind me of a time and an attitude when I felt anything was possible, before I lost the bravery of youth. That mid 90s time, before 9/11, before global financial meltdowns, before Covid - it just felt like life was better (it probably wasn’t, but it felt that way). 
    In the last couple of years, I’ve tried to rediscover that bravery and be more intentional with my life - to stop being carried along on a conveyor belt of the day to day, prioritising my family and some long held - and long suppressed - screenwriting ambitions (which are actually starting to get somewhere)  
    The band getting back together feels like a massive injection of optimism, and a reminder that having fun is important. 

Sorry - I’ll go and have a lie down now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7867
    edited August 27
    It's funny thinking about Britpop now... back then the yobs liked oasis, the kids that thought they were cool liked Blur or Pulp and the ones who were actually cool still liked Nirvana and RATM.

The whole Britpop scene passed me by, it just felt like a media driven mainstream scene with very dull, lifeless and samey music. 

Surprised they lasted untill 2009!!

I did watch Oasis at Reading in 2000, which at the time was a weird headline act as it was still a proper rock festival at that point, but they drew a huge crowd.

Now, I think I hold the period in higher regard, no doubt it was an important point in British culture and oasis were a major part of it. Play any of their big songs and it's almost guaranteed the room will sing along.

Not sure a reunion will have a lasting impact on guitar popularity, but good they are doing it before they get too old.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 145
    Philly_Q said:
    Bluddy hell - have to say - looking at the logistics for doing Wembley - it's a fucking nightmare!!

Tubes all shut about 10:30 on the weekend so getting a hotel in town or one of my favourite out-of-town car dumps is a non-starter as won't be able to get there.
    No they don't!  Even if they did, I'm sure they'd run late services when there's an event on at Wembley.
    They usually shut nearest tubes and have you walk to one nearby, I guess to stop rushes and overcrowding. Plenty of buses, trains and tubes available after 11pm though.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1116
    If new material is in the pipeline, and Noel can pen a few 90s style belters, and Liam sorts his singing out, this could really give the music industry the kick up the backside it needs. Wishful thinking probably. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    edited August 27
    ... and the ones who were actually cool still liked Nirvana and RATM.

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure they were the ones who were "cool"?

I'm not saying cool is necessarily the best thing to be but they definitely weren't the cool kids.

It's funny thinking back on things but one thing that was universally cool was liking Oasis, generally speaking.

If not, people made a BIG FUSS about NOT liking Oasis.

Was ultimately a bit like the internet, today.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2508
    Saw them at the free Heiniken Music Festival in Preston 1994....my mates band were on the same bill and I was playing roadie. Liam got a bottle chucked at him during the first track which they cut short and threatened to leave if the 'dickheads' continued lol. They were pretty raw back then but the attitude and songs were there even though they weren't my cuppa....I was firmly in the grunge period of life. 
    Good luck to them I say,
    It's funny that while we have had the expected "I was too cool for Oasis because <insert us band> etc etc" posters in... wasn't anyone slightly too old and into rave, ecstasy, the Mondays and Roses?

I was 16 in 1997 when Be Here Now came out, when all life was a flow chart leading to lager, Oasis, Blur and so on... but of course some people a few years older got the pre Britpop wave.

After was a bit weird honestly... my cousin and his mates are a few years younger than me and hit an odd wave of pop punk and rock from the US, think Bloodhound Gang, Blink 182 and RHCP... and of course the kings of us rock, Foo Fighters got to be the big thing for the next lot.

British alt rock didn't half die on its ass after the brief mastery of the Manics and Phonics circa 99.

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    edited August 27
    For me Oasis were a bit too popular to be properly cool.

There were cooler bands coming out of Manchester a few years earlier, imo.

I suppose I was about 20 when Oasis were big so maybe just a little bit more cynical about the whole affair. 

I went to the Loch lomond concert which was great, the weather was great and it was a great summer all in though!
    So can't complain. 
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
    A bunch of middle aged blokes talking about what is and isn't and was and wasn't cool... sad buggers we are :lol: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    Speak for yourself! 
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AornicAornic Frets: 664
    edited August 28
    I noticed there was a kind of hatred towards the Gallagher brothers here (in the UK) among some circles. I couldn't understand it until I asked around and was told it was because of their reputation, tabloids etc. I'm even told they had a falling out with the public in Australia over something someone said - once upon a time. Also Wonderwall was overplayed, people said. I always preferred the Ryan Adams' cover myself, and I think Noel himself did for a while too because he started using its moodier vibe as a template for solo show performances.

A lot of the rest of the world was oblivious to all that drama so we only really heard the catchy tunes and read/watched some funny and confrontational interviews in heavy Mancunian accents on TV or YouTube.

That's why Noel can be moved to tears hearing the crowd singing DLBIA so strongly in South America, and how they can both have sold out shows in Japan and Korea whenever they venture there.

Oasis might not be your thing, but sitting down and analysing the entire package of why they were so huge is indeed a fascinating look into a moment in history that will likely not be repeated in the same manner again. Even if you break it down to the songs themselves, a council estate kid with a guitar knew exactly what to dream up (and what to steal, self admittedly) to propel himself, his brother and his mates to superstardom. 

Welcome back to them I say. I was in America when Noel left and I remember reading the news thinking "Wait but he's done this before though. They'll likely be touring again next year once things have cooled." I hoped to catch them once they did, because I actually enjoyed Don't Believe the Truth and Dig Out Your Soul quite a bit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10058
    I came on here expecting to see a load of musos saying how shit they were because they’re too far up their own arse to like oasis. Quite surprised to see the level of positivity.
    For me, I got offered Knebworth tickets and was away in the states so couldn’t go, I got offered v festival tickets but the missus wouldn’t camp so I never got to see them first time. I did see just about every other Britpop band and oasis were my favourite.
    I saw Noel for the first time last year and have seen Liam with John Squier and on his own doing DM this year and all 3 gigs have been superb. So good that I wasn’t bothered about a reunion, until they said they were getting back together. Now, I’ll pay whatever it takes to go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 589
    edited August 28
    Saw High Flying Birds & Johnny Marr at Warwick Castle (5 minute walk from home) a few weeks ago. Both put on a stunning performance. 
    Would love to see Oasis but not doing the slog to London. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4148
    edited August 28
    I’d love to take my son, he’s 12, which is around the age I was when they came out and I got into them, and he got into them off his own back.

I suspect he will be too young for Heaton Park, but having watched Oasis and The Stone Roses there I don’t think I’d want him in that environment anyway.

Alternatively we could take a trip to Wembley (assuming I could even get tickets) but it looks like the hotels will be taking the absolute piss. A hotel in Manchester has exposed on X for cancelling everyone’s bookings for the Heaton Park dates, claiming a technical issue, then relisting the rooms for 3 x the price.

Then there’s the ticket scalpers… and Ticketmaster accommodates it by letting people resell on their own platform! Why can’t people (c*nts) just let people enjoy things?!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5165
    Anyone else who signed up to the pre sale ballot not received a confirmation email as yet?

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Boromedic said:
    Anyone else who signed up to the pre sale ballot not received a confirmation email as yet?
    Yup it's all over social media...
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 245
    Boromedic said:
    Yes. My sister too.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10576
    Watching some of Liams set at Reading I don't know if I can spend that kind of money and ignore the state of the vocals really. 

Probably moot as the touts and their bots will snap all the tickets up. 
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 172
    drpbier said:
    Boromedic said:
    Yes. My sister too.
    Mine has just come through - I signed up about 8pm last night so they will hopefully all come through eventually. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5165
    Boromedic said:
    Yup it's all over social media...
    Cool, I tend to avoid too much social media, thanks Ed.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...