Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5165
    edited August 28
    WeZ84 said:
    drpbier said:
    Boromedic said:
    Anyone else who signed up to the pre sale ballot not received a confirmation email as yet?
    Yes. My sister too.
    Mine has just come through - I signed up about 8pm last night so they will hopefully all come through eventually. 
    Awesome, will keep waiting!

I enjoyed the really difficult question you need to answer to confirm you're a fan :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5165
    Watching some of Liams set at Reading I don't know if I can spend that kind of money and ignore the state of the vocals really. 

Probably moot as the touts and their bots will snap all the tickets up. 
    The clips I saw weren't too bad, I was more annoyed at all the phones in shot, stop filming and enjoy the moment!!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10576
    Boromedic said:
    Watching some of Liams set at Reading I don't know if I can spend that kind of money and ignore the state of the vocals really. 

The clips I saw weren't too bad, I was more annoyed at all the phones in shot, stop filming and enjoy the moment!!
    I hear people say this but I just hear such a huge difference in his voice. Listen to the chorus on Live Forever, it's just not the same. 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1155
    Boromedic said:

I hear people say this but I just hear such a huge difference in his voice. Listen to the chorus on Live Forever, it's just not the same. 

His voice was never great, but it's shot now and he's just shouting here. He sounds pretty breathless too. Age plays a huge part in this, but his 'technique' hasn't helped, so maybe he should drop a key (some might say, definitely).
  • Liam’s voice was absolutely great at Knebworth a couple of years back but he was exhibiting some of it then, particularly in Slide Away - that truncated shout thing instead of singing and holding a note.

He sang some of the ballads from the solo material wonderfully so he can do it. It’s either:

1. A deliberate attitude/style choice
    2. He’s touring too much and either hasn’t been taught/isn’t employing proper warmup and maintenance tekkers
    3. He’s deliberately avoiding big notes to save his voice.

Add age to this of course and years of a harsh vocal style.

Simon Fowler is currently much worse. I’ve seen him twice in the last month, in person and on the telly - you can see OCS on iPlayer now playing a fest in Scotland - not pretty. He could still sing as soon as December ‘23 when we saw them in Liverpool and was superb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3488
    Aornic said:

Welcome back to them I say. I was in America when Noel left and I remember reading the news thinking "Wait but he's done this before though. They'll likely be touring again next year once things have cooled." I hoped to catch them once they did, because I actually enjoyed Don't Believe the Truth and Dig Out Your Soul quite a bit.

Dont believe the truth and Be here now are my favourite Oasis records and DBTT opening 5 songs is possibly their best, and despite playing in Oasis tributes for years I wont be going as the set Id love wont be what they play. Itll all just be the first two, when I wanna here Mucky Fingers, Falling down, Lyla, Shock of the lightning, Turn up the sun etc and its surprising but these are the songs that go down the best in tributes. I always wanted to put together a band dont none big hits, if their momentum continues, I may.  
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4890

I doubt I’d go if it was free, but my daughter wants to go, I think it’s good that there’s a real hunger for guitar bands in the younger generation.  She had her friends round a while ago and they were all singing I am the resurrection at full volume.

Oasis passed me by really, I was into the Manchester bands as a kid early 90’s but was into classic blues and rock by the time Oasis came out and they always struck
    me as pretty unoriginal and derivative.  They did write some decent tunes but never grooved like the Happy Mondays or Stone Roses.  
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    Controversial opinion - Oasis never made even close to a bad album.

Even their ropier records - and Heathen Chemistry IMO is probably the ropiest - have absolute solid gold classics on them, and even solid gold classics pissed away as B-sides.

Be Here Now is so comically not-bad that it amazes me people's default opinion is that it is.  The production isn't great, but as Liam correctly points out, his voice never sounded better, and it has at least five or six really brilliant songs on it... and nobody can agree which six...

Liam has done great work rehabilitating the scorned bits of Oasis' back catalogue, for example playing "Roll it Over" - the brilliant closer to SOTSOG - at Knebworth.  A song unjustly forgotten because it follows daft fail "I can See a Liar..."

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9058
    Saturday 31 August timeline

09.00.00 Tickets go on sale

09.00.07 Ticketmaster crashes

09.03.00 Ticketmaster comes back online

09.03.03 Ticketmaster announces all tickets sold out

09.03.17 Tickets start to appear on Viagogo, etc sites at 10x their original price
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ...but was into classic blues and rock by the time Oasis came out 
    you poor bastard... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7867
    ... and the ones who were actually cool still liked Nirvana and RATM.

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure they were the ones who were "cool"?

I'm not saying cool is necessarily the best thing to be but they definitely weren't the cool kids.

It's funny thinking back on things but one thing that was universally cool was liking Oasis, generally speaking.

If not, people made a BIG FUSS about NOT liking Oasis.

Was ultimately a bit like the internet, today.
    Yes I was cool damnit!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 514
    Bit late to this, but I was a massive Oasis fan in the 90s and saw them at Wembley Arena in 97 on the Be Here Now tour.

My GF is desperate to go to one of the shows, but honestly I can't think of many things I want to do less than stand in the pit at Wembley Stadium surrounded by pissed up middle aged men throwing pints around...

Fortunately I'll be pissed up in the Cairngorms at a stag party when the tickets go on sale, so the responsibility for buying tickets is solely in her hands...
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Even their ropier records - and Heathen Chemistry IMO is probably the ropiest - have absolute solid gold classics on them, and even solid gold classics pissed away as B-sides.

Be Here Now is so comically not-bad that it amazes me people's default opinion is that it is.  The production isn't great, but as Liam correctly points out, his voice never sounded better, and it has at least five or six really brilliant songs on it... and nobody can agree which six...

Liam has done great work rehabilitating the scorned bits of Oasis' back catalogue, for example playing "Roll it Over" - the brilliant closer to SOTSOG - at Knebworth.  A song unjustly forgotten because it follows daft fail "I can See a Liar..."

Agree with all of this.

Also, Be Here Now is a banger. Everyone's just overcorrected their opinion of it because we were all wanking ourselves senseless about it being the best record ever made before it had even been released...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Altho, I am currently blasting Slide Away in my office and it's giving me goosebumps, so maybe I'll have some sort of religious experience if I do make the trek over to Wembley next summer...

mo6020 said:
    Altho, I am currently blasting Slide Away in my office and it's giving me goosebumps, so maybe I'll have some sort of religious experience if I do make the trek over to Wembley next summer...
    To be honest - I think a lot of us feel that way.

After living through music being THAT IMPORTANT for a period of time, then spending 30 years knowing that while revisionists pretend it wasn't all that great, without any pretension or conforming to some counter-culture, or any negativity or anything but optimism and love... and now the centre of all of that are back...

It's a big deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SoulslingerSoulslinger Frets: 63
    edited August 28
    You can count me as a fan of latter period Oasis. Notably as well for a guitar/musician forum, there is much more inventive guitar playing and instrumentation throughout a lot of it. I think NmE etc decided it was uninventive dadrock at the time and that became the received opinion. As if they were ever anything else!

I also quite like a lot of the LG solo stuff so maybe I’m a poor arbiter of taste. I know it’s written by committee but I find it much more entertaining than big brother’s solo work.

In fact I hope they actually put out a record after this, and that it’s good, and that Noel can still write Oasis. They should definitely consider putting out a vinyl box set with a blu ray bundled. It’d sell gangbusters.
    edited August 28

mo6020 said:
    To be honest - I think a lot of us feel that way.

After living through music being THAT IMPORTANT for a period of time, then spending 30 years knowing that while revisionists pretend it wasn't all that great, without any pretension or conforming to some counter-culture, or any negativity or anything but optimism and love... and now the centre of all of that are back...

It's a big deal.
    Yep, totally. I've spent a fair amount of time in the last couple of days explaining to American colleagues and younger folks how absolutely stratospherically massive Oasis were for that period between '95 and '02ish.

It's hard to wrap your head around now because of how music fandom and subcultures have changed, but it was really something, and they were a huge part of the positivity and cultural shift that was going on around Britain pre-9/11.

• chris78chris78 Frets: 10058

Be Here Now gets slagged by Noel all the time because he wishes he’d kept the tracks from The Masterplan back. Let’s face it, he’s right about that (Acquiesce, The Masterplan, Half The World Away etc), but Be Here Now is a great album.
    Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants has some great tracks, but really isn’t a great album. Heathen Chemistry is exactly the same, but the final 2 albums are belters, but forgotten because people had moved on after Standing On The Shoulder and Heathen Chemistry. They were still huge but not 2.5 million Knebworth tickets huge by then.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3488
    You can count me as a fan of latter period Oasis. Notably as well for a guitar/musician forum, there is much more inventive guitar playing and instrumentation throughout a lot of it. I think NmE etc decided it was uninventive dadrock at the time and that became the received opinion. As if they were ever anything else!

I also quite like a lot of the LG solo stuff so maybe I’m a poor arbiter of taste. I know it’s written by committee but I find it much more entertaining than big brother’s solo work.

In fact I hope they actually put out a record after this, and that it’s good, and that Noel can still write Oasis. They should definitely consider putting out a vinyl box set with a blu ray bundled. It’d sell gangbusters.
    Ive never really got this written by committee thing. Im lucky enough to be very good friends (went to college with) one of Liams Band who wrote quite a lot of both records, along with 2 others and Liam is as involved as any co-writer out there today.
      I do hope its not the end for eithers solo bands as they are all great lads