Oasis Reunion

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10922
    The reach of Oasis to young fans is quite incredible. You can play an 18th birthday party where the oldest person there is about 21 and they go nuts for it. I've played and seen it so many times. 

I get the fact there's a young cool crowd that prefer the real indie / metal / seventies  scene or something cooler but in general Oasis have the biggest crossover through the ages that I've experienced in 40 years of gig'ing. 

I was in Portsmouths best known rock covers band when Oasis broke playing VH, Def Lep, AC DC etc ... within 6 months we were doing about 4 Oasis covers .. massive appeal across different musical genres as well
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1155
    edited August 27
    Greatape said:
    Definitely Maybe came out when I was 14 - it was my entry into music - before that people who were into music liked Nirvana, metal, ripped jeans and being angst ridden and conflicted. But Oasis felt like a band for me and my mates - much more inclusive than the music fans before....... 

I lost interest pretty quickly and went on to explore all sorts of music - but I came back for the last two albums - Dont' believe the truth and Dig out your soul both of which I thought where pretty good. I saw them lots of times both at the start and toward the end..... they could be pretty hit and miss. 

I have a 14 year old daughter now and she largely rejects anything I play in the car - but she (and a lot of her friends) are totally into Oasis so we'll try and get tickets...... with a good line up it should be a good experience.

In this world of media trained, careerist, populist "artists" the truth is we really need Oasis 
    Would reiterate the youth appeal - i can't fucking stand Oasis, but my sixteen year old is really into them. 
    The bar for British rock music was painfully low back then. I would say it's even lower now, but I'm sure plenty will chip to tell me I'm totally wrong ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24949
    Definitely Maybe came out when I was 14 - it was my entry into music - before that people who were into music liked Nirvana, metal, ripped jeans and being angst ridden and conflicted. But Oasis felt like a band for me and my mates - much more inclusive than the music fans before.......  
    Most of my mates kind of dressed like them more or less, as did I, jeans, trainers, rain jacket or fleece jacket, but I didn't have The Beatles haircut, but I preferred listening to metal, I couldn't identify with anyone in heavy metal as I didn't look like any heavy metaller. I suppose instead of listening to shite like Savatage, Van Halen Sammy Hagar era and Megadave, I should have been listening to Pavement, Fugazi, Sonic Youth etc, who looked "normal" but played hard!
    Interesting points these, I'm a metal fan, I've been a metal fan for 45 years, and it's never crossed my mind that it wouldn't be considered "inclusive".  I had the long hair, for a while, but other than that I had very little in common with the guys on the stage... it never made the music feel distant or inaccessible.  And certainly the metal audience is very inclusive and non-threatening.  I feel more intimidated riding on public transport every day than I've ever felt at a metal gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13631
    Philly_Q said:
    Interesting points these, I'm a metal fan, I've been a metal fan for 45 years, and it's never crossed my mind that it wouldn't be considered "inclusive".  I had the long hair, for a while, but other than that I had very little in common with the guys on the stage... it never made the music feel distant or inaccessible.  And certainly the metal audience is very inclusive and non-threatening.  I feel more intimidated riding on public transport every day than I've ever felt at a metal gig.
    Inclusive is probably the wrong word.

Metal is almost deliberately counter-cultural, the long hair and the look are all supposed to be almost "outsider" compared to non-metal people.  That the scene is friendly (generally, except the people who most of the metal scene despise who practise "killing" in most pits and so on) and inclusive isn't so much the point.

The whole Britpop movement was deliberately mainstream -  it's why so many people who were in it hated it because they defined themselves as counter-cultural (Brett Anderson of Suede being a perfect example).

Oasis were literally out there saying they were normal, they just happened to be rock and roll stars, now sing along with us.

I'm not sure I'm explaining it terribly well!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 27
    Philly_Q said:

Metal is almost deliberately counter-cultural, the long hair and the look are all supposed to be almost "outsider" compared to non-metal people.  That the scene is friendly (generally, except the people who most of the metal scene despise who practise "killing" in most pits and so on) and inclusive isn't so much the point.

The whole Britpop movement was deliberately mainstream -  it's why so many people who were in it hated it because they defined themselves as counter-cultural (Brett Anderson of Suede being a perfect example).

Oasis were literally out there saying they were normal, they just happened to be rock and roll stars, now sing along with us.

No, you're explaining it well.  And good point about Brett Anderson - again not really my type of music, but I've read a few comments from Britpop/Britrock artists saying they weren't comfortable being perceived as "one of the lads" (my words not theirs) when that wasn't at all how they felt.

Edit:  and now that I think about it, maybe I was (subconsciously) drawn to metal because I've always felt much more "outsider" than "one of the lads".  But then I still always feel a bit of an outsider, even when I'm attending an event I actually want to be at, with a group of broadly like-minded people.
  • danodano Frets: 1645
    CloudNine said:
    First time I had ever seen or heard of Oasis, was when I was stood there watching them in The Lomax (Liverpool 1994). This below. Mate dragged me there. I recall people chucking stuff on stage and Liam wasn’t best pleased. I am not a fan, but it was a decent gig. Wouldn’t go to these ‘reunion’ gigs if you paid me though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upga-5j5e6U

I was at that one too ! seem to recall it was the Thursday night the week supersonic was released. Epic gig from memory, pre gig beers in Flanagans. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    edited August 27 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

I used to have the full rock/metal look with the hair, metal tshirt and painted leather jacket. I once remember my grandma telling me that if she didnt know me and saw me walking towards her down a street she would have crossed over the road to avoid me.

I also found this odd as usually you dont really get trouble at rock gigs.. Some over boisterous aholes sure (but you get those everywhere), but all out fights, never. I think the issue is that that look, looks quite close to what a lot of people would see a biker gang type look, which is probably where the idea that rockers are trouble comes from. In my eyes we were often more like modern day hippies than anything else. Mostly there for the music and a good night out.

Rabs said:
    Philly_Q said:

I used to have the full rock/metal look with the hair, metal tshirt and painted leather jacket. I once remember my grandma telling me that if she didnt know me and saw me walking towards her down a street she would have crossed over the road to avoid me.

I also found this odd as usually you dont really get trouble at rock gigs.. Some over boisterous aholes sure (but you get those everywhere), but all out fights, never. I think the issue is that that look, looks quite close to what a lot of people would see a biker gang type look, which is probably where the idea that rockers are trouble comes from. In my eyes we were often more like modern day hippies than anything else. Mostly there for the music and a good night out.
    Yeah I definitely didn't mean "rockers are trouble" or anything of that kind!  Many of the nicest people I've ever met like their music metallic!! :)

I really mean, in one sentence, most musical movements sell themselves as counter-cultural, be it metal or ska or grime - in fact some, like grime, are important almost because they are counter-cultural, they are the voice of people who sometimes lack one.

Britpop, and Oasis specifically were just "we're mainstream, we want everyone to like us" and everyone did.  Even when the music-industry's nominated semi-manufactured follow up came along (Robbie Williams) the wave was so big it (and his obvious talent, not knocking the bloke) carried him into Knebworth as well.

That's really not happened with music since the Beatles - it's one of the reasons this Oasis reunion is such a big deal - nobody else, in their prime, even came close.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2975
    I don’t look at the news for a day and the fb goes haywire !

how much are you all selling your tickets for then ?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1048
    I won’t be trying to get tickets. 

I stopped listening to them once their 3rd (disappointing) album Be Here Now was released.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1155
    edited August 27
    I have to say I'm appreciating the analysis on here of the whole Britpop thing. Like other posters on here I was into harder stuff and found the Britpop stuff really lame, but the whole 'optimistic' side of the music argument makes sense. It won't convert me into a fan, but I can certainly see things a bit more clearly now! :-)
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1654
    edited August 27
    Fascinating to follow the story - and I have to feel it was inevitable to happen at some point.

With regard to the ‘why ?’ - obviously there’s a lot of money on the table, but moreso, for any rock stars interested in their ego, accomplishments, being the top of the tree etc - this is immense ??!!

They are literally the most talked about story in the media - back to their peak in the 90s. Seems like a no-brainer for a band fuelled by headlines.

I don’t listen to Oasis, but would love them to think about what they could do with this - speed the songs up a few bpm, take a Ron Ashton masterclass, and blitz the back catalogue with a sonic glass shattering assault.

That would be really memorable, rather than any going through the singalong motions….
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    One of my mates was a big fan, so I got my fair share of listening to them. 

I liked them, but preferred the charlatans at the time.
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
    Kurtis said:
    Tellin' Stories is a fucking epic album.

Not a patch on the bros Gallagher IMHO... but a great band.
    edited August 27
    Bluddy hell - have to say - looking at the logistics for doing Wembley - it's a fucking nightmare!!

Tubes all shut about 10:30 on the weekend so getting a hotel in town or one of my favourite out-of-town car dumps is a non-starter as won't be able to get there.
    I missed all Oasis.  My wife still reminds me that we were offered Knebworth tickets in 1993(?) and she went and had a fab time

pkayed some covers a while back, but Britpop passed me by
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1087
    Kurtis said:
    Tellin' Stories is a fucking epic album.

Not a patch on the bros Gallagher IMHO... but a great band.

For me they peaked at up to our hips and the eponymous next album. 

Yo momma's on the crack rock!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2492
    Epiphone need to gear up for the reboot sales
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bluddy hell - have to say - looking at the logistics for doing Wembley - it's a fucking nightmare!!

Tubes all shut about 10:30 on the weekend so getting a hotel in town or one of my favourite out-of-town car dumps is a non-starter as won't be able to get there.
    No they don't!  Even if they did, I'm sure they'd run late services when there's an event on at Wembley.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    When my wife nd daughter go to Wembley gigs, I pick them up at e.g Rckmnsworth, which means when they get to Wembley Park or whatever station they get on the empty platform heading out of London rather than 90% of them trying to get into London.  Lots of premier inns nd similar out that direction too