Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm so angry right now... People should NOT be bullied because of what they wear...

What's Hot

Comments

• Please try and understand the wider issue.

The important thing here is context. The same shirt, down the pub - not a problem. I might even wear it myself. But totally not appropriate in the professional workplace.

We need to get more women involved in tech, and one important thing that needs to happen to make that possible it to be inclusive and welcoming. There are many aspects to this, and one of those is avoiding casually sexist, borderline misogynist imagery in the professional workplace, especially when you're being broadcast globally to millions of people.

It's not just about media pressure and feminists, and the people who have complained are not all "twisted individuals".

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Drew_fx said:
    fuckwits fucking shitting fucking tosspots fuck 
    Ahh, the eloquence....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

The important thing here is context. The same shirt, down the pub - not a problem. I might even wear it myself. But totally not appropriate in the professional workplace.

We need to get more women involved in tech, and one important thing that needs to happen to make that possible it to be inclusive and welcoming. There are many aspects to this, and one of those is avoiding casually sexist, borderline misogynist imagery in the professional workplace, especially when you're being broadcast globally to millions of people.

It's not just about media pressure and feminists, and the people who have complained are not all "twisted individuals".

R.
    And why is it inappropriate?

The dude in that shirt managed to get something the size of a fridge on a comet after 10 years worth of travel - and his shirt has nothing to do with it. 

It's just a comic book style shirt. 

I know some people are flagging it, but in the greater context, it's so fucking meaningless.  I'd be more inclined to take from it that he's a comic and sci fi enthusiast, not a sexist. 

Especially when *real* sexism is still alive and kicking (in both directions).  There are just so many more important things to focus on, like the fact that he was part of a team that achieved something absolutely incredible - and his poor taste in clothing has nothing to do with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    That self-righteous T-shirt that Clegg and Miliband were showing off their right-on credentials in the other week was more revealing in what it said about the wearer than this one. And more offensive, to me.

That said, he should probably have thought more carefully about wearing it, because he should have known the reaction it was likely to cause - even though it says more about the reaction than the shirt.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    That self-righteous T-shirt that Clegg and Miliband were showing off their right-on credentials in the other week was more revealing in what it said about the wearer than this one. And more offensive, to me.

That said, he should probably have thought more carefully about wearing it, because he should have known the reaction it was likely to cause - even though it says more about the reaction than the shirt.
    Nail on the head, man. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Please try and understand the wider issue.

R.
    Couldn't disagree more. What says people in science don't give a fuck better than a guy in a Hawaiian shirt and tattoos? In STEM all that matters is results, and numerous women get along in it just fine without being made to feel unwelcome.

I'm doing an engineering course, yes it's mostly guys, but the girls there aren't treated any differently by anyone. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Consider the fact that this guy probably has a brain the size of the universe, he may just well have higher functioning ASD (seems to go with the territory). He is unlikely to even think that it may cause offence.
    He's also probably been doing a load of shift work, not getting home and sleeping on a couch in the office (we do the same for a go-live weekend), he probably just through a whole bunch of clothes into a bag and went off to work, maybe never even knowing he was going to be on camera.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

R.
    This is the same as saying that you're "more professional" if you wear a suit & tie.

FUCK OFF!!

You're "more professional" if you do your fucking job properly!!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2952

R.
    I think the idea that women are put off being involved in 'tech' by the clothes people wear is sexist in itself, no?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited November 2014
    You're mistaken. Whatever his day job, at the point he wore the shirt he was in front of millions of people. Whether the probe had landed or not he must have known that he going to be in front of the cameras either explaining how successful or unsuccessful his project had been. He still wore the shirt.

Anyone with any sense whatsoever would have known how sensitive the issue of alleged (note ALLEGED) misogyny is in current affairs. Examples, gamergate, Ched Evans etc. Therefore, in order to ensure that attention was paid to his project rather than his shirt he (or a friendly PR person) should have taken the decision that he would wear a shirt that was neutral and inoffensive to anyone.

People would have just seen his tattoo sleeves and noted the fact that he'd just managed to land a probe on a comet. They would have thought..."Wow...a cool scientist!" rather than paying attention to what he was wearing.

Common sense should have prevailed, and if he didn't have any then his PR people should have made the decison for him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2448

R.
    This is the same as saying that you're "more professional" if you wear a suit & tie.

FUCK OFF!!

You're "more professional" if you do your fucking job properly!!
    Surely there are more layers to being professional than just having the necessary skills and knowledge to do a job properly. And surely doing a job properly incorporates  having good ethics, principles, appropriateness, and a generally high standard of professionalism to be perceived as professional.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I see nothing wrong with that shirt at all.

I doubt any of the women I work with would find it offensive.

The problem is a few who shout as loud as they can, and create as much disturbance until they get their way. Sadly it's indicative of the society which has evolved.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• This is the same as saying that you're "more professional" if you wear a suit & tie.
    No, it isn't.

R.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    edited November 2014
    mike_l said:

I see nothing wrong with that shirt at all.I doubt any of the women I work with would find it offensive.The problem is a few who shout as loud as they can, and create as much disturbance until they get their way. Sadly it's indicative of the society which has evolved.
    That's true, and while I agree with confronting this sort of behaviour when it's useful to, when it risks distracting from something far more important it's not useful. As has unfortunately happened.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    As the great Nigel Tufnel once said "What's wrong with being sexy?"

And, as much as I looked, I couldn't see a single woman on that shirt doing the ironing or cooking the dinner.  In fact, they rather looked like they could kick any man's ass.

Which is a whole different sphere of women being in charge...
  • Quick poll...

Here's a set of quotes from this thread:
    • "harmless imagery of women in racey bondage gear"
    • "idiotic opinions"
    • "not at all offensive unless you have severe issues"
    •  I hope some of the idiots see what they've achieved, and feel ashamed
    • "pox on the twisted individuals who whined"
    • "probably the women who complained are fat munters who are pissed off 'cos they don't look good in "racy bondage gear""
    • "A big deal has been made out of nothing."
    • "annoying that feminazis think they can go around changing things because they think they know better"
    • "These hatchet faced bints"
    How many of the people who have said these things are female?

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    edited November 2014
    It's a fucking awful shirt!

Anyone who chooses to wear such a monstrosity should expect to be ridiculed.

Playing the sexist card is a cheap shot though. It's just a shite shirt.

And for him to then cry about it afterwards...

The whole episode is a sorry mess.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Bidley said:
    I think the idea that women are put off being involved in 'tech' by the clothes people wear is sexist in itself, no?
    It's not specifically the clothes that are the problem here, rather the imagery. Also, he used inappropriate language in interviews.

R.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Anybody with common sense wouldn't give it a second thought. At least it's giving some exposure to how ridiculous people can be when it comes to social (non-)issues.

Personally I would have worn a suit and tie because it looks better, but he's free to wear what he likes.
    My V key is broken
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4305
    edited November 2014

Bidley said:
    It's not specifically the clothes that are the problem here, rather the imagery. Also, he used inappropriate language in interviews.

R.

I reckon the imagery is rather nice really. You telling me you wouldn't land your probe in one of those bondage birds?

Have to admit, it's not the kind of shirt you just throw on without thinking about though. You know what you are doing, and the potential impact, when you stroll out the door in that.