Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm so angry right now... People should NOT be bullied because of what they wear...

What's Hot

Comments

• jd0272 said:
    Married mate, not allowed to bet or 'have fun'  :(
    You misogynist bastard! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW I work in a highly technical field in a huge tech company. The exec on our product is currently a woman, the CEO is currently a woman. I have had a female 2nd line manager, there are 6 women on my immediate team of 20 which while not total parity I think demonstrates fairly adequately that the the days of the glass ceiling are pretty much over. 

I in fact feel that it;s probably slightly easier for women to advance than men now and obviously they have additional employment rights that men do not.

In my opinion the only thing keeping women out of technical fields is women themselves and the sort of person that thinks the most important thing about the Philae lander story is something as inconsequential as a shirt someone is wearing probably has no place in the field, or indeed commenting on it.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Where I work is similar. All lower management is female, middle management is 66.6%-33.3% female-male, SEO level is all female. Above that it gets totally out of our department and is at least still 50-50. CEO is a bloke, but he replaced a retiring woman.

And everyone doing the same job gets the same wage, there is no disparity or glass ceiling. I've yet to see an industry in the UK where there is a demonstrable "gender gap" on wages. I kind of thought we'd legislated about that a while ago? If I'm wrong, I'd love to see the evidence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
     the sort of person that thinks the most important thing about the Philae lander story is something as inconsequential as a shirt someone is wearing probably has no place in the field, or indeed commenting on it.

That's what I said earlier. But apparently it was just drivel.
  • Lixarto;413774" said:
    holnrew said:

Nobody's saying that.

Several people on this thread are saying just that; not very eloquently admittedly, but bigots tend not to be eloquent.
    No, they're not. You're inferring, wrongly.
    Use Your Brian
  • kinkin Frets: 1015

Opinions are like... well you know the old joke.

If you cover your self with colourful artwork and wear something slightly outside of the norm within a mainstream medium don't be surprized if people look at you askance and comment on it.

Equally if you wear a grey work suit, sporting a neat haircut on stage at Download while thrashing through a Slayer number don't be surprized if people look at you askance and comment on it.

Snobbery/inverse snobbery....either way your still a fucking snob.  Feminist/ Misogynist .... your still a.... can't think of a word to make my point :)

Couple of comments on here have been crass beyond belief, childish prattle.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    My two cents .. the shirt's ghastly and the decision to wear it questionable as any sane person should have anticipated the consequences. Where were this guy's coms team and PR people? He will be ridiculed online, in the press and on TV until the day he dies.

However, the social media outcry is deeply worrying. It represents a serious challenge to free speech, thought and democracy and is not just the preserve of a few loony people. Hariet Harman used social media to attack Cameron for not wearing that t-shirt. His crime? He's not a feminist.

The footballer charged with rape has served his time in prison and now wants to return to work .. under our legal system his paid for his crime. Unfortunately there are feminists who think otherwise and are campaigning against him playing football .. women journalists who have defended his right to return to work have themselves been attacked by feminists.

And this woman may sound like a fruitcake but she has a serious number of followers .. her aim? To reduce the male population by 90 per cent ... :-)

It's time we fought back ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    My two cents .. the shirt's ghastly and the decision to wear it questionable as any sane person should have anticipated the consequences. Where were this guy's coms team and PR people? He will be ridiculed online, in the press and on TV until the day he dies.
    Ah, yes...the "He was asking for it because of what he was wearing" argument :P

He won't be ridiculed online and in the media until the day he dies, because every sensible person in the world recognises that his achievements outstrip his dress sense by some margin.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    edited November 2014
    Fretwired;413971" said:
    No he won't. The general public won't remember who he is in three months and the scientific community will remember him as the guy who did the work on the comet lander (and, oh, wasn't there something about a shirt or something?)

Scientists tend not to have PR reps either. Maybe they should (it might help the subject to be better presented) but I'd prefer it if they kept their minds on the job rather than worry about possibly offending the outrage-fetishists. He'll get over it and the team's place in history is assured. We landed on a freaking comet!

Use Your Brian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Spurious outrage perpetrated by hard left feminists who make a profession out of being offended. It's just a slightly questionable shirt ffs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired;413971" said:
    No he won't. The general public won't remember who he is in three months and the scientific community will remember him as the guy who did the work on the comet lander (and, oh, wasn't there something about a shirt or something?)

Scientists tend not to have PR reps either. Maybe they should (it might help the subject to be better presented) but I'd prefer it if they kept their minds on the job rather than worry about possibly offending the outrage-fetishists. He'll get over it and the team's place in history is assured. We landed on a freaking comet!
    Oh please .. the guy will regularly appear on Facebook and those cheap TV shows .. want to know how a geek dresses ... kerpow .. and the European Space Agency has a massive PR team. I'm sorry but it's a major comms fail ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Where were this guy's coms team and PR people?
    The thing is science regardless of gender is trying it's upmost to appear cooler and attract youngsters into growing an interest and become the ground breakers of tomorrow.  People like Brian Cox switch engage young kids and that is a positive thing.  I've absolutely no doubt that the PR guys didn't for one minute think "Dude's wearing an offensive shirt... should we say anything? No".  They were probably more focused on thinking "Here's a guy with tattoos and a slick haircut, responsible for a massive achievement, who helps dispels youngster beliefs that science folks are square geeks with 'dad hair' wearing white coats and practical shoes." .  At the time the shirt probably just seemed part of that whole image.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    At the time the shirt probably just seemed part of that whole image.
    And it is. Rockstar scientist. 
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5071
    edited November 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    And it is. Rockstar scientist. 
    Less dubious shirt, but me mate Mark from the Patent Office @ CERN :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/559614_10203709619433225_1659944924898970240_n.jpg?oh=d736e139cbd1b6fa6b961015ce9e674e&oe=551F8121&__gda__=1423082649_56c8ac9e3e7d0826d458a3a26f52522c

Obviously it was switched off at the time ;)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd do him! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 2 PhD's and gets to play with particle accelerators, who wouldn't? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fucking hell... even Ana from The Young Turks agrees with me!!!

• Drew_fx;414039" said:
    I'd do him! 
    When you said "rockstar scientist" I immediately thought of a coked up, gun toting grand theft auto dude in a lab coat.

Rockstar games, you have warped my mind.
  • Fretwired;414024" said:
    hungrymark said:

Fretwired;413971" said:My two cents .. the shirt's ghastly and the decision to wear it questionable as any sane person should have anticipated the consequences. Where were this guy's coms team and PR people? He will be ridiculed online, in the press and on TV until the day he dies.

Oh please .. the guy will regularly appear on Facebook and those cheap TV shows
    OK, along with 'Argentina won't invade the Falklands by 2020` and, I forget, but it was something like 'Scotland won't vote to become a mandate of the People's Republic of China', I bet you a tenner that there will be more probe-related than shirt-related references to Dr Taylor in the end of year news roundups.
    Use Your Brian
  • Can't really begin to say how much my ghast has been flabbered by this non-story.

Landing on a comet!!!! Nuff' said.