Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

YANBU MF

What's Hot
The funny thing about YANBU is its not "you're being reasonable" and for good reason.

Means you can react to something and be above reproach but still be an arse-hat.

I get Drew upsets some people.

I understand he's got "previous" which makes the decision to ban him all the easier.

Some people with an axe to grind will find any opportunity to exploit and the less direct the better. Means they can be more petty and less answerable for their actions.

so well done guys, give yourself a big hand, you're not being unreasonable.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Urrrr.  Not sure what all this means.

Tried Googling YANBU... and it appears it's a Red Sea Port.

MF appears to be a shortened form for Master of Forestry.

Are you suggesting there are jobs going for lumberjacks in western Saudi Arabia.  Sounds like hot and sweaty work.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I'm confused - has Drew been banned or something?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    YANBU = "you are not being unreasonable". It a mumsnet thing - someone asks "am I being unreasonable", e.g. at objecting to their husband dunking his penis in a glass of water after sex, and they all reply with yanbu.

I'll admit I'm puzzled about Drew - he doesn't seem to be banned, but "on a break". 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited December 2014
    mart said:
    YANBU = "you are not being unreasonable". It a mumsnet thing - someone asks "am I being unreasonable", e.g. at objecting to their husband dunking his penis in a glass of water after sex, and they all reply with yanbu.

Thanks... that's cleared things up for me.

So I won't be needing a visa or a chainsaw... but I will need to up my game when it comes to personal hygiene.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What for this time? OK I know he comes on a bit strong from time to time but I think he's mellowed since that time when we were in That Other Place. In those days I thought he was an obnoxious git but these days I'd be up for having a pint with him. I'm certainly not aware of him being horribly offensive recently.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    let's just clear one thing up right now, so there's no more ambiguity. It's only unreasonable if it's someone else's glass of water. If it's yours you are well within your rights to dunk your dongle right upto the nut case if you wish.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521

What's happened then @frankus?

Drew has wound me up sometimes but he's got a lot of redeeming qualities.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    My PCs knackered at the moment so I can't do a long reply, but suffice to say drew isn't banned and is more than welcome to return in a couple of weeks if he so chooses.

I'm also fairly sure that there aren't any axes being ground at least amongst the admins.

For my own part I like drew and I think he is one of our best contributors.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    YANBU?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    As usual I have no idea what's going on. I like a lot of what Drew says, but then he gets a million wisdoms and lols and it all goes to his head and he starts exploding randomly at people. I hope he doesn't take this place too much to heart. Merry Christmas one and all :)
    All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My PCs knackered at the moment so I can't do a long reply, but suffice to say drew isn't banned and is more than welcome to return in a couple of weeks if he so chooses.
    Is he more than welcome to return in one week if he so chooses? Or is he sort-of-banned?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TBH the world sometimes needs someone to be unreasonable. Everyone is too scared to take a stand on anything these days and most people are happy to see all points of view even if it means they remain ineffectual. I'd rather be unreasonable from time to time and actually have some kind of vision about things.

Conflict isn't necessarily bad in and of itself.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    TBH the world sometimes needs someone to be unreasonable.
    Is Drew even being unreasonable a lot of the time? I don't see how so many people can get so wound up over what he says, some folks just need to take a fucking chill pill. 
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I do question what it means if people really get that upset about what they read on an internet forum. I suspect that some people actually enjoy playing the victim.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • He's a prick

End of
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

frankus said:
    The funny thing about YANBU is its not "you're being reasonable" and for good reason.

Means you can react to something and be above reproach but still be an arse-hat.

I get Drew upsets some people.

I understand he's got "previous" which makes the decision to ban him all the easier.

Some people with an axe to grind will find any opportunity to exploit and the less direct the better. Means they can be more petty and less answerable for their actions.

so well done guys, give yourself a big hand, you're not being unreasonable.

Eh?

• So what happened then? 

Is he sent to the cooler, on the naughty step, self imposed exile?

(didn't we already do this on here, or was that on MR.....or both, turned in to a sort of obituary thread, that was fun)

Lots of questions eh?

Why is it always him? (maybe it is him?) is that the point?

(I've had too many biscuits and sweets today I'm feeling a bit peculiar).

• He's a prick

End of
    ...and that's precisely the kind of thing which everybody seems to think should get him banned.

How about we all act like adults instead?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you asked him that?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you asked him that?
    OK, I'll rephrase, with some explanation:

Drew's in the cooler because of a comment he made insulting another member, and wasn't the first time. I would advise everybody else who's thinking of chucking insults at other members to smarten up their act.

Is that clearer?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom