Paris shootings

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12392

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30710883

Horrible stuff. Frankly I wouldn't want to be working in Central London these days, we must be overdue something in the UK.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited January 2015
    It's a hot topic - some of those French satirical papers don't hold back.... but some radical types are just looking for an excuse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    This world isn't a nice place sometimes :( I feel that sometimes is becoming more often.

But don't lose sight of the right in the world, and the good in the world.  If we lose that positive spirit, then they really have won.

May all those affected find their peace, best they can.  Condolences :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    A seriously awful story....
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I've just watched the video and read the reports. To me, this looks like a very organised assault, carried out with military precision. Is this really the work of extremists, or something more sinister? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    There was talk of there being a rocket launcher involved. WTF? 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12392
    mellowsun said:
    I've just watched the video and read the reports. To me, this looks like a very organised assault, carried out with military precision. Is this really the work of extremists, or something more sinister? 
    Well I guess there's nothing to say that extremists can't be ex-military types? But yeah, that did cross my mind too, especially the way the shooter went over to put a bullet through the cop's head to finish him off. Professional almost, but shockingly brutal. :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15594
    mellowsun said:
    I've not seen any of the footage, but if what you say is correct then let's not forget, Islamic radicals have been fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan etc. for some 10 years now, they'll be very good at the military precision.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24415

Solidarité avec Charlie Hebdo
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Emp_Fab said:

Couldn't disagree with that cartoon more. Religion and religious figures are no different to fairies and phantom paedophiles. They SHOULD be mocked in the media, in order to enlighten society and elevate us to a new level.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    I've not seen any of the footage, but if what you say is correct then let's not forget, Islamic radicals have been fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan etc. for some 10 years now, they'll be very good at the military precision.
    True, but this does not look like any of the other mainland attacks by extremists that we have seen so far. The weapons used, the organisation, that they got away, didn't try to blow themselves up. This looks different to me. Who's to say an outside power is not involved, deliberately trying to stir things up? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    mellowsun said:
    VimFuego said:
    True, but this does not look like any of the other mainland attacks by extremists that we have seen so far. The weapons used, the organisation, that they got away, didn't try to blow themselves up. This looks different to me. Who's to say an outside power is not involved, deliberately trying to stir things up? 
    There is no evidence for any outside power. They've just announce a Caliphate last year, and extremists have been flocking to Syria since. No surprise they've got more resources and more training.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24415
    Drew_fx said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Couldn't disagree with that cartoon more. Religion and religious figures are no different to fairies and phantom paedophiles. They SHOULD be mocked in the media, in order to enlighten society and elevate us to a new level.
    Absolutely.  Which is what I was doing.  The cartoon is taking the piss, not making a straight point.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Absolutely.  Which is what I was doing.  The cartoon is taking the piss, not making a straight point.
    Nah I think the cartoon is trying to hard to find some middle ground.
    Drew_fx said:

There is no evidence for any outside power. They've just announce a Caliphate last year, and extremists have been flocking to Syria since. No surprise they've got more resources and more training.
    For you to make this connection without any evidence that this attack is linked to ISIS or Islamic extremists in general suggests that the attack has had the desired effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15594
    mellowsun said:
    VimFuego said:

oh, I have no doubt there's an outside power involved. Possibly I misunderstood when you said something more sinister (I took that to mean you were implying a false flag event).

We've had the government warning of a "Mumbai style" attack for a while now, so clearly they are aware that there are circulating a number of individuals who are skilled at armed close quarters combat.  

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

edited January 2015
    mellowsun said:
    Drew_fx said:

For you to make this connection without any evidence that this attack is linked to ISIS or Islamic extremists in general suggests that the attack has had the desired effect.
    That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Every bit of news on the matter indicates Islamic extremism is at hand. It's no stretch to connect that with the Caliphate. Y'know... if you care about history, and context, and y'know... trying to understand things.
    VimFuego said:
    (I took that to mean you were implying a false flag event).
    I thought he was saying the same thing.
    Drew_fx said:
    Every bit of news on the matter indiciates Islamic extremism is at hand. It's no stretch to connect that with the Caliphate. 
    Seriously?
    edited January 2015
    mellowsun said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Every bit of news on the matter indiciates Islamic extremism is at hand. It's no stretch to connect that with the Caliphate. 
    Seriously?
    What point are you actually trying to make here? Be direct. Stop being passive aggressive and snide. Make your point.

You said that I'd drawn a link without any evidence. A link to the Caliphate... you might have a point there. But a link to Islamic extremism "in general" (your words) ... there most definitely IS evidence.