Paris shootings

What's Hot

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Sambostar said:

...as far as I am concerned my world, is just the little world around me, Paris, France could be Bagdad, Iraq to for all I know.  Like I said, I never read the comic's, I have no idea who they are, in fact, if I was to start worrying about the wider world around me and watch the news religiously, I would probably be more brainwashed into feeling for the freezing children of Syria, babies who need clean water and malnourished dogs.  It's only real when it affects you personally and when it does there is nothing you can do about it anyway, that is the truth.

'Brainwashed' into feeling empathy for the suffering of other beings? That's some borderline sociopath stuff right there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Wolfetone said:
    What I'm saying is that you should have the right to offend but don't be surprised if you get twatted as a consequence. 

If you stick your hand in the tigers cage you can expect it to be bitten off. That's how the world works. 
    Unfortunately tigers dont understand the law, they work by their own law. Under our law which is the basis for the freedoms we enjoy, just because I call you a c**t ( I dont by the way!!) does not give your the right to nut me. Indeed I can call you anything and everything but if you lay a finger on me you are guilty of assault. I might only be guilty of libel or slander but you cannot be the judge of that, so there is no defence of provocation.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Sambostar said:

I don't believe in God myself, but what grates me about the affirmed faith haters and atheists is that, whilst they berate god lovers, when they themselves don't actually know why we are here, nor do they know the reason why this tiny planet is doing revolving around the sun.

Actually we do. Physics and Chance. Nothing more nothing less.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4725
    edited January 2015

Was it really necessary for MI5 to come out and say it could happen here? Of course it could, it's obvious, nutters with guns could strike anywhere and this type of attack is very difficult to stop.  But why come out now and state the obvious.  I don't believe in the any conspiracy here but I do believe he want's A) recognition that they "stopped three UK terrorist plots" recently B) some more budget please My Cameron and C)  Make sure the general public know they should really live in fear over this even though the chances of being shot by a terrorist are probably lower than being killed by a stray golf ball.  

I applaud MI5 for the good work they do, but please stay in the shadows and don't advertise your faces on TV for polital reasons.  You are supposed to be secret;-).

There's also option D) BTW, it was Cameron's idea to show what a bloody good anti terror job he's doing during pre election time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    If these two dudes are happy to die as martyrs then why are they wearing bullet-proof vests?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited January 2015
    hywelg said:Under our law which is the basis for the freedoms we enjoy, just because I call you a c**t ( I dont by the way!!) does not give your the right to nut me. Indeed I can call you anything and everything but if you lay a finger on me you are guilty of assault. I might only be guilty of libel or slander but you cannot be the judge of that, so there is no defence of provocation. 
    Yeah, and there are those that get so mad, they punch first and think about it later. 

Nobody has a right to protection, merely an expectation of it. It's something that you learn after getting twatted a few times. You then realise that the best thing to do is to alter your own behaviour to accommodate those that no law can contain. (Either that or get the first punch in yourself).  
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Wolfetone said:
    hywelg said:Under our law which is the basis for the freedoms we enjoy, just because I call you a c**t ( I dont by the way!!) does not give your the right to nut me. Indeed I can call you anything and everything but if you lay a finger on me you are guilty of assault. I might only be guilty of libel or slander but you cannot be the judge of that, so there is no defence of provocation. 
    Yeah, and there are those that get so mad, they punch first and think about it later. 

Nobody has a right to protection, merely an expectation of it. It's something that you learn after getting twatted a few times. You then realise that the best thing to do is to alter your own behaviour to accommodate those that no law can contain. (Either that or get the first punch in yourself).  
    awwww.. u so ubermensch...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24524
    edited January 2015
    Wolfetone said:

Alter your own lawful behaviour to accommodate the illegal acts of others.

You are Neville Chamberlain and he was a coward
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Wolfetone said:

Fortunately, most civilised people work out from an early age that punching people who say things you don't like gets you nowhere.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    People have a right to their person, possessions and liberty. Words and images are just that, and a fundamental part of not being a medieval barbarian is understanding that mere words do not give people a right to commit acts of violence against their speaker. Using fear, violence and intimidation to silence dissent has consequences that the billion or so who died last century as a result of twisted ideologies found out to their considerable chagrin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4725

'it matters little if something is true or not till someone says you must live a certain way becuase they believe something is true or not'

I got that quote from Labi Siffre's website http://www.intothelight.info/ozz/

I think it's pretty apt considering the discussion and hints at how dangerous things can be that have no basis in logic and common sense.  If beliefs are rediculous, they can be dangerous and this should be pointed out.  I'm fed up of being told to respect rediculous beliefs.  I don't.

This is a good website btw, some pearls of wisdom on there:-

"Belief v Religious Belief

Belief seeks and embraces evidence;
    Religious Belief fears, retreats, rejects and runs from it. "

ISIS, Al-Qaeda, & their "wrong" interpretation of the Qur'an

There can be no wrong interpretation of
    "The Word of God" because
    There Is no evidence
    Of God

There is no right or wrong interpretation
    Of an absurdity

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited January 2015
    Wolfetone said:

I do feel sorry for Neville Chamberlain. Here was a guy who went thru the horror and aftermath of WW1 only to find himself as the spokes person for freedom against Hitler. So he did everything he could (some argue too much) to prevent open war until it was unavoidable, then he declares war. And for that history brands him as a coward. Where were the other world leaders? Did they go head to head with Hitler, or did they sit back behind NC to see what happened?

He gets a bum rap imo.

/anyhoo tangent over

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

I do feel sorry for Hitler. He gets a bum rap imo.

Damnit... that's what I get for skimming.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    IanSavage said:
    Sambostar said:

...as far as I am concerned my world, is just the little world around me, Paris, France could be Bagdad, Iraq to for all I know.  Like I said, I never read the comic's, I have no idea who they are, in fact, if I was to start worrying about the wider world around me and watch the news religiously, I would probably be more brainwashed into feeling for the freezing children of Syria, babies who need clean water and malnourished dogs.  It's only real when it affects you personally and when it does there is nothing you can do about it anyway, that is the truth.

'Brainwashed' into feeling empathy for the suffering of other beings? That's some borderline sociopath stuff right there.
    No, I'm just being honest, who the fuck are you to judge me and what solidarity and philanthropy I actually do in life anyway?  Jesus, who are you?  The Pope?  I'II wait because obviously the land sat connection will take a while given you are out in Liberia helping Ebola victims and I know your time is precious.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sambostar said:
    Jesus, who are you?  The Pope? 
    All other arguments aside I reckon that's unlikely.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2015

Sorry for that little outburst.  This is the problem.  There are a couple of posts on here from the righteous police. 

What is with everything these days with the with us or against attitude?  Just because I don't display the egotistical, self mourning, exposed to way too much information for their own good fuelled, so called empathetic traits of a bipolar on a downer who thinks that by thinking how bad everyone's situation is, they are actually helping them in some small way, I am now the enemy? 

Just because I don't indoctrinate myself with 24 hours newscasts and don't conform to a mass consensus of so called emotional solidarity?  Fucking hell.  I don't need to send funds that I haven't got to Syrian children to know I am doing good by myself, I am rest assured that I do enough to help in the world around me, with people I come into contact with and that is all you can do.  If everyone did that the world might be a better place, rather than the righteous police throwing judgemental attitudes around.

Well you can wallow and swim around all you like in your judgemental, self pitying empathy, I'd rather just get on and help people into the boat in my little world around me.  Life goes on.  You do what you can to help but you can only do so much and you certainly don't judge others on their moral intent.

I never trust a white feather sender, ever.

Yeah, sorry, that post was a little out of order also, mind it's probably ok as the land sat connection probably still hasn't made contact yet.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72520
    For what it's worth the thing that makes my blood boil most about modern news reporting is the hand-wringing "emotional" style of the current BBC, ITV etc news channels.

That and the constant walking slowly towards the camera.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I haven't watched the news but I've read that Clegg, Cameron and Milliband have all come out to say what an evil, intolerant, cheap trick of a man Farage is by taking the opportunity to announce that a fifth column is growing in Europe.  Failing to see the irony of the fact that they have taken the political point scoring opportunity at the very same time to denigrate Farage.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479

No, it's an excellent way of staying alive. You have to accept that there will always be places where you can legally go but it's better not to.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24524
    Wolfetone said:

No, it's an excellent way of staying alive. You have to accept that there will always be places where you can legally go but it's better not to.

Until there are no places left.