Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Post here if you love Simply Red

What's Hot

Comments

• WE ARE NOT SOULLESS AUTOMATONS. WE DON'T EVER DEFER TO A FLAG LIMIT.

I'm actualy glad, and although it was obviously clear to you, it was';t to me until now. The way that the flag limit has only recently become common knowledge and the use of lines like "deleted due to flag limit" etc didn't really convey that.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm actualy glad, and although it was obviously clear to you, it was';t to me until now. The way that the flag limit has only recently become common knowledge and the use of lines like "deleted due to flag limit" etc didn't really convey that.
    Yup - we're still relative amateurs at this, given that we don't have drama on the scale and frequency of places like TGP. Incidents like this happen comparitively rarely, so it's inevitable that our approach may change a little between them, and sometimes our phrasing when we're in a rush trying to keep up with a rapidly unfolding situation (combined with the fact that us modmins aren't all sat huddled round a computer discussing things) might leave a little to be desired.
    <space for hire>
  • I take it back. I guess the flag limit isn't bullshit after all then.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I believe that's against the Rules of the Internet (which, obviously, take precedence over ours). You're simply not allowed to change your mind or accept somebody else's point of view.

Courage of your convictions, man.
    <space for hire>
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I believe that's against the Rules of the Internet (which, obviously, take precedence over ours). You're simply not allowed to change your mind or accept somebody else's point of view.

TO THE DEATH!!!
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    I believe that's against the Rules of the Internet (which, obviously, take precedence over ours). You're simply not allowed to change your mind or accept somebody else's point of view.

pfff what you gonna do? ban me?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3057
    I take it back. I guess the flag limit isn't bullshit after all then.

pfff what you gonna do? ban me?
    Flagged. ;)

R.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, by the fact Polarity Man hasn't been publically executed, Robin has just proved the flag limit must be more than 1.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30973
    edited January 2015
    LookIng at the upside, why can't we trade Drew for some of the ISIS hostages?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15644
    we had an issue with flagging in the village a few weeks back. We have a couple who are, erm, antagonistic to all and sundry. They enjoy creating drama etc. They have a flag pole outside their house and like to fly various flags. The flag in question I never saw, but a lot of people complained saying it was offensive and disrespectful. There were shouting matches in the street and everything. In the end the police got called and they asked the couple to take it down. We have less than 100 houses in the village, you wouldn't have thought there were enough of us to start a fight, but there you go. Moral of this story, flagging is a serious business and not to be taken lightly.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Given the amount of times I accidentally give Wisdoms,etc, I suspect there must be the odd accidental Flag so 1 wouldn't be an ideal limit.
    Indeed, maybe the whole thing was an accident - Drew was making footnotes in his Arch Enemy folder and accidentally copied them into a TheFB post. Several times. Accidentally.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • OK, by the fact Polarity Man hasn't been publically executed, Robin has just proved the flag limit must be more than 1.
    Reverse-engineering the rules is, itself, against the rules.

You have been warned.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    VimFuego said:
    we had an issue with flagging in the village a few weeks back. We have a couple who are, erm, antagonistic to all and sundry. They enjoy creating drama etc. They have a flag pole outside their house and like to fly various flags. The flag in question I never saw, but a lot of people complained saying it was offensive and disrespectful. There were shouting matches in the street and everything. In the end the police got called and they asked the couple to take it down. We have less than 100 houses in the village, you wouldn't have thought there were enough of us to start a fight, but there you go. Moral of this story, flagging is a serious business and not to be taken lightly.
    You need to be careful .. in small country villages up and down the land flagging is one step removed from flogging which is one step removed from the village pond ducking stool and the wicker man ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    lloyd said:
    Lix plays his part in this-He knows what he's doing....I get that they don't get on, I don't get why they don't just put each other on ignore and leave it at that?

This would seem like a sensible solution.  The problem being that despite having Drew on ignore, I assume that even if someone is on your ignore list you can still see discussions started by them and as a result it did not stop Lix posting abuse or baiting in threads by Drew that he could have just ignored as they were of no consequence to him.  Drew's reasoning for not simply putting Lix on ignore is that it means such digs can be made 'behind his back' so to speak and let's be honest most of Drew's issues start because he does everything out in the open.

The ignore button also doesn't solve the issue completely either as let's be honest Drew & Lix are not the only member to be on the end of their behaviour.  My single biggest issue with that relationship in particular is that I believe if you can't just ignore then move on.  I thought it's what grown-ups do.  I commented before that there are times when Drew and Emp have fought and said some pretty nasty things about each other but both have ultimately been big enough to move on.  Drew's behaviour and responses (especially like us all when under stress in the real world) range from unnecessary to completely out of line.  I have absolutely no doubt that he himself is fully aware of this.

On the night in question Drew was heading for a ban from his first post and I had told him such.  His only options was to rescind and apologise, not to Lix but to those who run the site (particularly Monq, Tony & Emp) on that night.  Unfortunately he had been goaded to a point where that was never going to happen.  I will say, and it follows on from the point above, That Emp particularly (despite their history) did his best to try and calm both Drew and the situation.  The problem with Drew's state of mind at that point is that like anyone who has ever complete seen red towards someone in the real world, he did not see those in the middle as friends of peacemakers but merely as obstacles in the way of what he felt needed settling.

Drew is under a lot of stress in the real world at the moment.  I don't put that out there as an excuse because it isn't, I put it as a point of reference. 

What inevitably lead to Saturday nights erm....'drama' shall we say was that a series of snipey comments or abuse had been building up over the last few weeks.  The straw crowbar that broke the camel's back was when yet again Lix raised his claim that Drew is solely responsible for one of the Fretboard founders Sporky leaving.  Personally I do not believe it is true and with complete credit to the admin team every time Lix has raised this they have actively quashed that claim.  To top trump this Lix claimed that the reason Bertie left was also due solely to Drew.  I have said before that people's reason for leaving is their own business and shouldn't be speculated or rumoured about.  As I used to interact a lot with Bertie I remember distinctly the events around the time he last posted and it had less the nothing to do with Drew.

Bertie was having a difficult time at that point in the real world to which we all offered our sympathies.  On one particular day he made a jibe at what he would have fully been aware was a tender spot for Frankus.   It may have been a joke gone wrong, it may have been a deliberate dig, who knows?  Frank then returned fire (so to speak).  TBH it was all pretty lightweight but something that day made Bertie feel "I don't need this now".  So in short Bertie's reason for leaving (or hopefully being on extended leave) was solely down to Bertie and solely his own business IMO.  I actually think for Lix to claim to have insider info on both and then flaunt it about the forum just to bait Drew is incredibly disrespectful to both Sporky and Bertie.  Dont' get me wrong Lix probably believes it as if he does speak to them his obsession seems to be bitching about Drew so he probably believes they share the same views.

Over the last few weeks Lix has also made several attempts to bait me for a reaction but to be honest after having my outburst about him I am bored with it so despite not having on my ignore list I choose not to acknowledge him as I can't be bothered a.) giving him a pedestal to preach from and b.) derailing every thread because he can't grow up.  This doesn't make me any better than Drew, just a bit older, more settled and a bit more road worn.  A few years ago I probably would have bitten fiercely on everything and have worked hard on that.  My brief stint on MR ended because Lix displayed exactly the same behaviour as here and when I questioned the appropriateness of it I was resoundingly informed that Lix was a mod.  His next stint of behaviour involved reading posts which I had chosen to retract or cancel (being younger, angrier and not particularly mentally well at the time.) and mocking them publically despite the content being quite serious.  Due to that I stepped away for a long time.  When this place opened I approached it as a fresh start.  With a completely different user name I restarted forum life and treated Lix with exactly the same respect as everyone else - as can be verified easily.  However that wasn't accounting for nothing changing the other side of the gulf. 

One (both preferably) of them needs to rise above it and not only put the other on ignore but to actively ignore the first slight or whatever. Easier said than done obviously but there we go, without under-valuing this place-it's just the internet.....people need to take a bit of responsibility and take it to PM, or it's going to end up in threads becoming shit storms of abuse. If neither of them lets it go then this will just repeat and continue-as it seems to have done since the MR days (which I lurked on very very occasionally towards the end of it's life) or one or both of them needs to be banned permanently, but I don't know how effective that would be due to multiple logins or whatever. That would be a shame as Drew contributes a lot to all sections of this forum and Lix has done in the past, but seems a bit quieter these days for whatever reason.

Another way of doing it would be to straight out call the other one on bad behaviour and run to the Mod's to intervene straight away, such as locking the thread or telling them both to shut up/take to PM which I think would be shit as it would take this place to a place where I personally wouldn't want it to go....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Given the amount of times I accidentally give Wisdoms
    Now I know where my wisdoms came from.

Cheers Eric.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    mike_l said:

Cheers Eric.

it's the only reasonable explanation.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

Cheers Eric.

it's the only reasonable explanation.

Oh yes.

Unless the discussion is about dirt pedals.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

I like both Drew and Lix, they are funny and clever and write well. The two of them bickering is one of the best things about this place for me, I just hope they don't take each other too seriously.

The modmins do a superb job and this place is awesome.

All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Gassage said:
    LookIng at the upside, why can't we trade Drew for some of the ISIS hostages?

What a splendid idea!

Here's what I'm thinking: ISIS release the hostages they've got, in exchange for Drew. Shortly afterwards, once they realise what a fucking great pain in the arse he is, they'd free him as well, and we can all get back to normal on here.

Simples!

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

I haven't logged in over the weekend, and I haven't read through this thread properly, but to sum up is it about a couple of grown men getting their knickers in a twist over something that is of no importance to anyone?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom