Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8503
    It seems to me that the left-wing view is always judged morally 'right' - and certainly on things like discrimination it clearly is, while a right-wing view is always deemed as morally 'wrong'. This seems fundamental in the the vilification of Clarkson.

I think that's a really good insight, I've noticed that too. Over the last few years I've noticed that a common attack on a government policy is that it's "Ideological", as if that's inherently a bad thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    Perhaps one of the reasons that politics has become very bland is because hard left/right politics no longer exists in significant form. Both sides of the spectrum have been shown to fail. What we have now are 600 odd idiots, mostly, arguing the toss about stuff they more or less all agree on, jus tso they can increase their chance of holding the top jobs. I see very few politicians who genuinely appear to mean it.

They are either form highly privilieged backgrounds (labour and tory, and lib dem)or have low enough scruples to end their sibling's political careers in order to further their own (milliband).

I woul;dn't want to spend anytime with any of them.

Rhodes BOwson and Deniis Skinner, they would have been good company.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Cirrus said:
    It seems to me that the left-wing view is always judged morally 'right' - and certainly on things like discrimination it clearly is, while a right-wing view is always deemed as morally 'wrong'. This seems fundamental in the the vilification of Clarkson.

I think that's a really good insight, I've noticed that too. Over the last few years I've noticed that a common attack on a government policy is that it's "Ideological", as if that's inherently a bad thing.
    Agreed. The fact that i really dont like that ideology is neither here nor there! 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4712
    I come from a traditionally left family, both ex communists in the 70s then went labour, my dad however when over to the tories (he was head of Wiltshire county council for both labour and conservative)
    What has gotten lost in the political message is what is at the core of the parties politics.

Labour generally believes in a big state and fights for those on lower incomes and believes they should be looked after
    Conservatives believe is a small state and believes that people need a leg up and fend for themselves, i.e. Job creation
    by promoting business

Nobody actually looks after those in the middle who have jobs and are the cash cow of the nation.
    So the perceived smugness of the left comes from the fact that they believe "We will look after you"
    The perceived evil of the right comes from the fact that they believe "Stand on your own two feet"

If we did not have any form of government, those who do not stand on their own feet would die, it's called evolution!
    My personal belief is that we should go back to the core principles of what was the original purpose of the social state.
    A safety net to tie you over until you can find employment again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    Sounds about right Axe.

Some of the most comical statements I've heard are coming out of the mouth of the leader of The Greens. away with the fairies, is that one.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I come from a traditionally left family, both ex communists in the 70s then went labour, my dad however when over to the tories (he was head of Wiltshire county council for both labour and conservative)
    What has gotten lost in the political message is what is at the core of the parties politics.

Labour generally believes in a big state and fights for those on lower incomes and believes they should be looked after
    Conservatives believe is a small state and believes that people need a leg up and fend for themselves, i.e. Job creation
    by promoting business

Nobody actually looks after those in the middle who have jobs and are the cash cow of the nation.
    So the perceived smugness of the left comes from the fact that they believe "We will look after you"
    The perceived evil of the right comes from the fact that they believe "Stand on your own two feet"

If we did not have any form of government, those who do not stand on their own feet would die, it's called evolution!
    My personal belief is that we should go back to the core principles of what was the original purpose of the social state.
    But Labour tends to do bugger all for people on low incomes. Poverty got worse under Blair and wasn't reduced under Wilson or Callahan before him. Labour needs poverty like the police need crime. People forget that the bedroom tax was a Labour idea dreamt up by Balls and voted for by Miliband.

The state is so big that nothing can get done .. too much bureaucracy .. it takes over ten years to get through consultation on building a power plant. We need more homes but planning restrictions and nimbyism blocks house building.

And as for our politicians they are a shower .. Osborne seems to have morphed into Blackadder ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    A BBC Exec giving off-the-record briefings comparing Clarkson to Saville is an own goal of epic proportions - gives the moral high ground straight back to Clarkson.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

Clarkson's popular elsewhere .. :-)

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11448
    I'm sure the massed ranks of Guardianistas in the upper echelons of the Beeb will happily chuck away their biggest overseas money-spinner if it means that thay can look approvingly at each other over their cockachinos in their trendy Islington cafes.

Meanwhile, in the real world, where you can't earn a quarter of a million quid for a non-job, the overwhelming majority of people couldn't give a toss and are more annoyed that a good telly programme has disappeared from the screens and may nebver come back.

Really, the Beeb may be a wonderful institution at times but its management sometimes need to get a slap on the bonce and a guide to how things are done in the real world.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316

by promoting business

Wisdom awarded.

Unfortunately the safety net has become a choice of lifestyle for some, and those who police the safety net funding have often lacked the insight that its got to be paid for by those who choose to work. I'm afraid I am old enough to remember two long term Labour governments, both of whom left the country in a mess, because they always see it as their duty to provide, no matter that it has to be paid for by those not being provided for.

I also remember a long term conservative government, and whilst there were some downsides (and the Miners/union power was not one of them) it left the country in a profoundly healthier state than any labour government ever did.

I do believe that governments do some things very badly, and thats usually trying to run businesses. I think the interference with the BBC, via the interrogatory parliamentary committees and the perpetual threats of license fee reductions/removal, leads the BBC to be far too PC, hence why they dont 'get' Top Gear.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't know how these people manage to make benefits a lifestyle. It's really an unpleasant existence, especially for the under 25s. My feeling is that those who work the system, always will, while the people who need the support are teetering closer to homelessness.
    My V key is broken
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    holnrew said:
    I don't know how these people manage to make benefits a lifestyle. It's really an unpleasant existence, especially for the under 25s. My feeling is that those who work the system, always will, while the people who need the support are teetering closer to homelessness.
    Cash in hand jobs, and theft.

DOWN WITH SCUM!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited March 2015
    What we need to do is....

Ask him to

review ...

Gear...

I mean, that nice chap who found god and bothering isn't doing youtube demos...

I always though Chappers was aiming for the 2 fat bikers cookery audience...

accountants have jags... accountants have prs...

they can be loud... he can bellow over the top...

he can smirk at the stupid americans

and root for the plucky British underdog.

captain slow can play a Strat...

hamster can ... play a ukelele..

Mexican Fenders can be called lazy...

the opportunities are just less than endless.

It's a good thing that the £100 pound, 1 month, 1 guitar challenge got renamed ...

we could issue a new Clarksonesque challenge. :D
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • That's the Norway live shows pulled then.

The plot thickens
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Suspect constructive dismissal and large payout followed by Sky contract.
    That's the Norway live shows pulled then.

The plot thickens
    The BBC is currently making a pilot for a new motoring show. Ill-informed gossip suggest the BBC will sell the Top Gear franchise.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    ....sell it back to Clarkson? ;)

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    We need to open a book on this. What price on outright sacking? Public apology and a return to TG live in Autumn and TG on screen next year? Public apology, spell in rehab, hip operations done, drying out, occasional TG appearances but Beeb finds new TV 'vehicle' for him, and a confessional autobiography in time for Xmas?
    ....sell it back to Clarkson? ;)
    It could get the BBC out of the shite .. Clarkson wouldn't be a BBC employee and yet the BBC could still show Top Gear. Win, win.

The BBC could still share the profits from worldwide sales.