Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7835

scrumhalf said:
    I'm sure the massed ranks of Guardianistas in the upper echelons of the Beeb will happily chuck away their biggest overseas money-spinner if it means that thay can look approvingly at each other over their cockachinos in their trendy Islington cafes.

Meanwhile, in the real world, where you can't earn a quarter of a million quid for a non-job, the overwhelming majority of people couldn't give a toss and are more annoyed that a good telly programme has disappeared from the screens and may nebver come back.

Really, the Beeb may be a wonderful institution at times but its management sometimes need to get a slap on the bonce and a guide to how things are done in the real world.
    Except of course that TV is not the real world and subject to all sorts of pressure groups and watchdogs etc... If JC did what he is alleged to have done he should go, as all of the rest of us would have to if we did that in our jobs.. it's not the Beebs fault he is a bit of a twit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    Assuming that most of this is true - it's a piece by Piers Morgan in The Mail after all - it sounds like JC is not 'in a good place' as people seem to insist on saying these days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-3002568/PIERS-MORGAN-Jeremy-Clarkson-like-50-angst-ridden-damaged-relationships-grieving-loved-ones-irritated-work-related-issues-battling-inner-demons.html

Boozing and cars are probably not an ideal combination....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Aren't Clarkson & Morgan sworn enemies? Something to do with Morgan publishing photos of Clarkson with someone other than his wife? (I could be wrong). They had a fight in a plane once....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    It's common knowledge that Piers Morgan and Clarkson are mortal enemies. Pinch of salt required?

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Beat ya!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Bastard!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    chillidoggy;568603" said:
    It's common knowledge that Piers Morgan and Clarkson are mortal enemies. Pinch of salt required?
    Possibly - though the article suggests that relations have thawed.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    In every place I've worked rainmakers got away with a lot. Clarkson created the most syndicated show in BBC history, watched by millions globally. Only seriously bad management kills the goose laying the golden egg, and only the mindset of a detached from reality Guardianista would think this a good thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    Evilmags said:
    In every place I've worked rainmakers got away with a lot. Clarkson created the most syndicated show in BBC history, watched by millions globally. Only seriously bad management kills the goose laying the golden egg, and only the mindset of a detached from reality Guardianista would think this a good thing.
    Ok, switch it round. Clarkson being his "normal" self, producer has enough and lashes out - thumping JC - without question producer is out of a job, no one is going to care, no one is going to make a petition for him, simply because he is a nobody..

Problem for BBC is that JC is top gear these days, people like him regardless of what he says or does (see petition), but that shouldn't make him untouchable. If society allows 1 rule for the "famous" and 1 rule for the rest, then we should give up on life. JC should not be protected because of his fame or earning potential. Sure - I get this happens, but the BBC should be applauded for taking a stand (if true). All companies should take this stand..  it's sad that profit is more desirable than decency.

Of course if this incident really is nothing then he shouldn't be treated this way and the BBC have lots of questions to answer..

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    I find it sad that over 1m people believe it's acceptable for someone to keep their job after they have punched a colleague. I find it unlikely they would think the same way if they had been on the receiving end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I find it sad that over 1m people believe it's acceptable for someone to keep their job after they have punched a colleague. I find it unlikely they would think the same way if they had been on the receiving end.
    It's a protest. Against PC wankers who want the world sanitized.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    What the fuck does that even mean? Oh no, can't even punch a coworker and get away with it, political correctness gone mad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    hugbot said:
    What the fuck does that even mean? Oh no, can't even punch a coworker and get away with it, political correctness gone mad.
    Have all the facts been made public yet? Trial by media doesn't count, especially when rags like the Daily Mail pay witnesses for their stories then run stories about how Clarkson is guilty.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited March 2015
    No, The daily mail is also doing the "clarkson stick it to the PC brigade" angle, of course they would, they're the daily mail. www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3001758/STEPHEN-GLOVER-Clarkson-s-real-crime-represents-Left-hates-HUGELY-successful.html
    hugbot said:
    I'd rather live in a world where people get punched at work than live in a world where opinions are silenced, dissent is quashed, and feelings are used as a pretext for the nullification of individual spirit.

OH BUT WHAT THE FUCK DOES THART MEAN LOLOLOLOLO!?!!
    edited March 2015
    The thing about arseholes is, arseholes always act like they're the victim and the whole world is a conspiracy against them. Now, You see a lot of this on the left (the archetypal "Fucking nancies always acting like they're being "oppressed") but the fact is the right does it too and it's every bit as irritating. And now we're at the point where it's somehow "oppressive" or "silencing" to take reasonable measures when someone is like a knob in a professional capacity. Absurd. No, not everything is part of a vast conspiracy against you- "The nullification of the human spirit" - dark forces in jackboots coming for your freedom. Sometimes youre just being a knob.
    hugbot said:
    The thing about arseholes is, arseholes always act like they're the victim and the whole world is a conspiracy against them. Now, You see a lot of this on the left (the archetypal "Fucking nancies always acting like they're being "oppressed") but the fact is the right does it too.

I don't disagree.

And now we're at the point where it's somehow "oppressive" or "silencing" to take reasonable measures when someone is like a knob in a professional capacity. Absurd.

But we don't know all of the facts. Sometimes mothers are given lenient sentences when they kill their children, because of the extenuating circumstances. Why shouldn't Clarkson be given the same benefit of doubt for the time being?

No. not everything is part of a vast conspiracy against you
    Never said it was. I don't think like that, at all. I don't believe in conspiracy theories, and I don't believe in black and white interpretations of such things.

"The nullification of the human spirit" sometimes it's just called being a knob.
    I do agree with this - nullifying the human spirit *is* an act of the knob. Unless you meant to say something else... in which case, you might want to rephrase.
    Drew_fx said:
    hugbot said:
    I'd rather live in a world where people get punched at work than live in a world where opinions are silenced, dissent is quashed, and feelings are used as a pretext for the nullification of individual spirit.

OH BUT WHAT THE FUCK DOES THART MEAN LOLOLOLOLO!?!!
    I never want to live in a world where it's acceptable to get punched at work.

There is a big story at the moment here where teenage boys are sexually abusing/harassing girls at school - to the point where boys are selling sex of their GF etc,  the suicide rate of teenage girls has climbed dramatically - is that ok too? 

I guess my point is that a line does need to be drawn somewhere. clearly girls should be able to go to school without getting sexual abuse from boys and adults should be able to go to work without fear of being hit...

I agree with you that PC gone mad is not the answer but actual, real, witnessed physical /verbal abuse should not be tolerated. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    hugbot said:
    The thing about arseholes is, arseholes always act like they're the victim and the whole world is a conspiracy against them. Now, You see a lot of this on the left (the archetypal "Fucking nancies always acting like they're being "oppressed") but the fact is the right does it too and it's every bit as irritating.

And now we're at the point where it's somehow "oppressive" or "silencing" to take reasonable measures when someone is like a knob in a professional capacity. Absurd.

No, not everything is part of a vast conspiracy against you- "The nullification of the human spirit" - dark forces in jackboots coming for your freedom. Sometimes youre just being a knob.
    Hey, being a knob doesn't make him wrong you know !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Look, to lay my cards on the table I'm being short with you because I had a bad argument last night with a friend who was behaving in a very boorish fashion at an important event. So apologies but I'm of a short temper today.