Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    hugbot said:
    No, The daily mail is also doing the "clarkson stick it to the PC brigade" angle, of course they would, they're the daily mail.
    www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3001758/STEPHEN-GLOVER-Clarkson-s-real-crime-represents-Left-hates-HUGELY-successful.html
    The Daily Mail exists to sell newspapers and drive traffic to its website for advertising revenue. If you look at all the reporting they are not taking sides. They paid some guests to break the story about Clarkson splittling the lip of the producer and then going round to the producers house to patch things up but Clarkson was left on the doorstep. They also ran a story from a previous Stig about how Clarkson was an arsehole who should be sacked. I can't see the BBC has any alternative but to sack him ... rags like the Daily Mail have managed to ruin the careers of loads of people in the pursuit of a large sack of cash.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I never want to live in a world where it's acceptable to get punched at work.
    I never said it should be acceptable. I was making a comparison and choosing the lesser of two evils.

There is a big story at the moment here where teenage boys are sexually abusing/harassing girls at school - to the point where boys are selling sex of their GF etc,  the suicide rate of teenage girls has climbed dramatically - is that ok too?
    I don't know what selling sex of their GF etc actually means. I don't care about the suicide rate of teenage girls, quite frankly.

I guess my point is that a line does need to be drawn somewhere. clearly girls should be able to go to school without getting sexual abuse from boys and adults should be able to go to work without fear of being hit...
    These are two completely different situations, each with their own contextual and surrounding factors. You can't just lump them together and go MMMM BAD!! ...life doesn't work that way. Where is the nuance in this argument?

I agree with you that PC gone mad is not the answer but actual, real, witnessed physical /verbal abuse should not be tolerated. 
    Btw... you're both (you and Hugbot) are just assuming that I agree with what I said previously. I don't necessarily agree, just pondered the thought out loud. I do think people signed that petition as a kind of protest against mainly white-middle-class wankers who want to control what we say and think and are allowed to see in the media. That doesn't necessarily mean I agree with them.

What I do think is that this issue is so fucking small fry that it really didn't need weeks of reporting and a 14 page thread about it on here. Bigger fish to fry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    hugbot said:
    No, not everything is part of a vast conspiracy against you- "The nullification of the human spirit" - dark forces in jackboots coming for your freedom. Sometimes youre just being a knob.
    Ah. I see you edited. Three times I might add - why don't you think through things before typing?

See my previous comment before you go frothing at the mouth, and bear this in mind:

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    See my previous post.
    hugbot said:
    Look, to lay my cards on the table I'm being short with you because I had a bad argument last night with a friend who was behaving in a very boorish fashion at an important event. So apologies but I'm of a short temper today.
    I didn't really think you were being short with me. It just seemed you were calling me a right-wing Nazi sympathizer who thinks the whole world wants to rape him in the bot-bot and that all foreigners are eeeevvvvvvilll...

... because what... ? Because I said people were using it as a platform for protest?

Sheesh...

But as you said... you had a bad argument last night, and it's still bruising today. I've been there before, and had similar outbursts coz of it. We're only human!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited March 2015
    He's still a dick. I believe he has the right to be as racist, sexist and boorish as possible and I have the right to turn off the TV. However, he doesn't have the right to punch people and expect there to be no repurcussions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The BBC senior management have been at him for a long time. Sky or ITV would take the top gear team in seconds. Mismanagement of your most profitable talent is not how to run a TV station. You can switch a channel to top gear right now anywhere in the world. That franchise is largely down to Clarkson.

BBC senior management, often anonymously and through the press, have been at him for a few years, largely because he's a successful Tory. The Saville comparison was utterly odious and thankfully backfired.

I'm afraid if I was responsible for a franchise of that global significant paying off a few producers would just be a minor cost.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    ICBM said:
    All the really valuable BBC TV is on BBC4 and occasionally BBC2. It shocked me when I discovered that BBC1 takes more than half the entire BBC TV budget and not far off half the total of all expenditure. BBC4 accounts for not much more than *two* percent.

(Yes, I know it's the Graudiad but the figures will be accurate.)

What do they do with all that money on BBC1?
    Big name presenters wages?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think it's utterly out of order for Jeremy Clarkson to stab a teenage girl in the eye with a producer just because her boyfriend wouldn't let her live in a world where Piers Morgans on A Plane wasn't a Blockbuster movie starring Jeremy Clarkson

"I've had it with these muthaf****ing Piers Morgans on a Plane"

I don't know if that even happened but the fact that Jeremy Clarkson is old and opinionated and so was Ayn Rand is a good reason to say no to the sort of stuff I imagine he got up to in an event that seems so vague that the police don't seem interested in it... which probably means the Producer was a homeless person who ate at foodbanks.. which given the BBC salaries and the horrible amount of our money they give to demagogues like Clarkson probably means i'm routing for the underdog....

They never did show the Top Gear Ethiopea special, which given the propensity to offend means I'll ghet angry even before I know the details or if it was really a thing... the thought of what that man with his imagination and persona can do ... ooh it makes my blood boil ...

Not really.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sambostar said:

Turned on the BBC tonight on the non Eastenders channel, whilst wiring up some Cat 5 sockets .  University challenge followed by some quiz show with that comedian's wife who has big tits but I now think is a right PITA.  Then what?  Some reality gardening show.  Who cares.  Talk about cheap TV.  Fuck me, I could play trivial pursuit and do some gardening myself for free.  Their news and news shows are merely left wing or liberal propaganda and staged to hell.  The lion's share goes to crap comedians or talk show hosts and their cheap shows.  The only thing they had going for them was Attenborough's wildlife shows and Clarkson.

Why do I have to pay a licence by law again? Oh yeah, because of I don't they'll put me in jail.

Two things piss me off, Royal Mail still being called Royal Mail, BT still being call British Telecom and the BBC still being called the British Broadcasting Corporation.

BBC is worse than a Thought police Dave channel.  Sooner they get nuked the better.

Really? I find it very right wing, pro establishment..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    It's an anachronism. If it was sold off after a year now one would care.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    usedtobe said:
    Sambostar said:

Turned on the BBC tonight on the non Eastenders channel, whilst wiring up some Cat 5 sockets .  University challenge followed by some quiz show with that comedian's wife who has big tits but I now think is a right PITA.  Then what?  Some reality gardening show.  Who cares.  Talk about cheap TV.  Fuck me, I could play trivial pursuit and do some gardening myself for free.  Their news and news shows are merely left wing or liberal propaganda and staged to hell.  The lion's share goes to crap comedians or talk show hosts and their cheap shows.  The only thing they had going for them was Attenborough's wildlife shows and Clarkson.

Why do I have to pay a licence by law again? Oh yeah, because of I don't they'll put me in jail.

Two things piss me off, Royal Mail still being called Royal Mail, BT still being call British Telecom and the BBC still being called the British Broadcasting Corporation.

BBC is worse than a Thought police Dave channel.  Sooner they get nuked the better.

Really? I find it very right wing, pro establishment..
    I recently read an article which the Beeb had conducted a poll on their current affairs coverage which said that left wingers found it right wing and vice versa. Which probably means theyre impartial. Or something. Personally i think this absolute turd of a government have had an armchair ride off them but as a lefty, what do i know?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11537
    I think it depends on the issues being discussed.

On economics the seem to follow the New Liebour / Tory orthodoxy and are probably reasonably neutral.

On social issues I'd say they are definitely on the liberal side.

They also seem to be pro-Europe, pro-immigration hence their dislike of UKIP.

From what I've seen they seem to be pro-Palestinian, anti-Israel as well.
    Samgb said:
    usedtobe said:
    I recently read an article which the Beeb had conducted a poll on their current affairs coverage which said that left wingers found it right wing and vice versa. Which probably means theyre impartial. Or something. Personally i think this absolute turd of a government have had an armchair ride off them but as a lefty, what do i know?
    I think this government hasn't been too bad given the shit it inherited from Labour and the Euro meltdown. Millions of people taken out of paying tax, the wealthy paying more, tax loopholes closed with more to come, bank tax, stamp duty tax on expensive properties .. even Ed Balls says the coalition has risen taxes more than Labour.

People bang on about bedroom tax (actually Labour) and privatisation of the NHS (Whipps Cross is in special needs as it's run out of cash due to Brown's naff PFI schemes and the health service in Wales under Labour's been poor).

Living standards would have fallen under Labour as in reality the feel good factor was fuelled by debt. And the coalition brought in the OBR which makes it hard for politicians to lie about the economy (as Osborne has found out when he's been called out for peddling the old fib).

The problem with BBC News and much of the BBC are the people. They are all from the same class of Guardian reading metropolitan liberal elite - pro-Labour anti-Tory. I listen to R4 in the morning and Tory politicians get a rougher ride than Labour ones with the exception of Ed Balls who John Humphries dislikes.

The BBC claims to allow free speech but try denying climate change (the view is actually banned) or trying to talk about the negative effects of immigration. The BBC is staunchly anti-Israel and the US, pro-EU ... it's what happens when you recruit a type of left of centre liberal.

And the TV debate fiasco is another example - the BBC trying to blackmail the PM into a pointless TV debate. They didn't do it to Blair when he was PM - he rejected a debate with Haugue and Kennedy.

http://biasedbbc.org/

And the Guardian's view .. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/17/bbc-leftwing-bias-non-existent-myth

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Did Clarkson punch the producer? We've yet to see any hard evidence, but here we are again, frantically waving pitchforks around. Me, I'd prefer to wait until the BBC investigation produces its report, and takes whatever action it feels is necessary. That's the normal course of action in any such disciplinary matter whereby an employee is involved in any 'fracas'.

As for 'one rule for the rich and famous', well, suck it up bitches, cos that's how it is, and that's how it's always been. It's all about money: It's always all about money. And if you've got money, things are different.

Will Clarkson come out unscathed? Who knows? I can only begin to imagine the turmoil within the minds of those on the BBC disciplinary panel. It kind of reminds me of the cartoon in the dating agency, where the woman is torn between choosing the skinny character with a huge tool, and the gorgeous-looking Mr. Handsome character with a dick the size of a maggot.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    BBC gives Farage loads of positive coverage. I can't call the anti-UKIP. C4 news definitely is though.
    My V key is broken
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11448
    BBC news is Guardian FM, it is institutionally biased and about as fair-minded in its approach as a fox in a chicken coop. Compare their approached to Thatcher (unbridled, naked hatred) and Blair (so far up his arse all you could see were their heels).

I few years back I was asked by a friend to consider taking a shot-term role in the BBCs property strategy department. Unfortunately, having worked in commercial porperty where you were expected to justify costs and bring in returns on investment, I was not the man for the job.

There is a lot that's good about the BBC. But we need to make it more British and less Islington. Let's start by preventing them from using the Grauniad as their sole source of job advertising.

Did Clarkson punch the producer? We've yet to see any hard evidence, but here we are again, frantically waving pitchforks around. Me, I'd prefer to wait until the BBC investigation produces its report, and takes whatever action it feels is necessary. That's the normal course of action in any such disciplinary matter whereby an employee is involved in any 'fracas'.

As for 'one rule for the rich and famous', well, suck it up bitches, cos that's how it is, and that's how it's always been. It's all about money: It's always all about money. And if you've got money, things are different.

Will Clarkson come out unscathed? Who knows? I can only begin to imagine the turmoil within the minds of those on the BBC disciplinary panel. It kind of reminds me of the cartoon in the dating agency, where the woman is torn between choosing the skinny character with a huge tool, and the gorgeous-looking Mr. Handsome character with a dick the size of a maggot.

The Daily Mail paid a someone to spill the beans .. Clarkson is alleged to have hit a producer and split his lip requiring a visit to a local A&E. The person who made the claim was stying at the hotel and witnessed what happened. Obviously this hasn't been corroborated by the BBC so we must assume innocence until the real facts are presented.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited March 2015
    /\ My point entirely. Wait until the decision has been made.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Option 1, he gets the sack... public outcry because BBC aren't listening to 1 mil people, and getting rid of their best show
    Option 2, they keep him....    public outcry because if anyone else hit someone at work they would go

BBC will not look good either way I don't think, damage limitations... Personally, I feel any one person who can split a company is a big big problem...especially when he is such a racist,sexist etc.... (loljks)