Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    joeyowen said:
    Option 1, he gets the sack... public outcry because BBC aren't listening to 1 mil people, and getting rid of their best show
    Option 2, they keep him....    public outcry because if anyone else hit someone at work they would go

BBC will not look good either way I don't think, damage limitations... Personally, I feel any one person who can split a company is a big big problem...especially when he is such a racist,sexist etc.... (loljks) 
    If he hit the producer then the BBC can and should sack him. There may be a public outcry, but the BBC will simply point out that the same thing would happen to any licence fee payer were they to punch a colleague at work.

However knowing the weak-willed BBC management I bet they'll take a leaf out of their beloved EU Commission book 'How to always get what you want without the tax payer realising they have been shafted' and formulate a third way in which they have their cake and eat it. Something along the lines of "we know what Jeremy did was wrong but the BBC accepts some responsibility for the pressure that everyone was working under (due to Tory cuts and climate change) which was the direct cause of the incident. As a responsible employer we feel the right thing to do is stand by the Top Gear staff who make a much loved, award winning (cash cow).. blah blah blah".

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Fretwired said:
    joeyowen said:
    Option 1, he gets the sack... public outcry because BBC aren't listening to 1 mil people, and getting rid of their best show
    Option 2, they keep him....    public outcry because if anyone else hit someone at work they would go

BBC will not look good either way I don't think, damage limitations... Personally, I feel any one person who can split a company is a big big problem...especially when he is such a racist,sexist etc.... (loljks) 
    If he hit the producer then the BBC can and should sack him. There may be a public outcry, but the BBC will simply point out that the same thing would happen to any licence fee payer were they to punch a colleague at work.

However knowing the weak-willed BBC management I bet they'll take a leaf out of their beloved EU Commission book 'How to always get what you want without the tax payer realising they have been shafted' and formulate a third way in which they have their cake and eat it. Something along the lines of "we know what Jeremy did was wrong but the BBC accepts some responsibility for the pressure that everyone was working under (due to Tory cuts and climate change) which was the direct cause of the incident. As a responsible employer we feel the right thing to do is stand by the Top Gear staff who make a much loved, award winning (cash cow).. blah blah blah".

So you're telling me it was one of the terrorists? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 790
    Are the Top Gear team just getting too old?
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    GuyBoden said:
    Are the Top Gear team just getting too old?
    Probably but the same goes for the audience .. that's the problem for the BBC and politicians. It's the older generation that pays the licence fee and votes. Neither of my sons watch the BBC - it's Sky all the way for the sport, movies and excellent US made TV shows. I was forced to watch Poldark on Sunday .. it could have been made in the 1970s. It was aweful.

edited March 2015

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Good - violence in the workplace cannot be tolerated.
    But now let TG die - it was way past it's sell by date.
    Evans as presenter? How? His radio show would have to go due to filming commitments... would he really give up his dream gig to take over a show that is a tired formula? Evans is a lot if things but he is a very shrewd businessman underneath it all and he'll know that being the presenter of TG is a poisoned chalice.
    Oh well, as ever with a 'news' story it's just speculation containing no genuine facts (as yet) so we'll just have to wait to see what *actually* happens.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    ^ Evans also has a lot of ego. Being begged to take over from Clarkson might just appeal to that side of him.

I say this in a well intentioned way - I actually quite like the guy.

I agree that anyone taking over TG is on a hiding to nothing.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1630
    impmann said:
    But now let TG die - it was way past it's sell by date..

? You might be tired of it. Five million people still watched it on BBC2 and hundreds of millions worldwide. The BBC doesn't have enough quality stuff to just let this show die, but they will.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16463
    On the way into work Evans on his show saying he will never, ever present TG. So, that theory gone.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    So apparently Top Gear will continue despite Clarkson being gone.

Good luck with that guys. It'd be like Nirvana continuing without Kurt Cobain.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    JohnPerry said:
    impmann said:

? You might be tired of it. Five million people still watched it on BBC2 and hundreds of millions worldwide. The BBC doesn't have enough quality stuff to just let this show die, but they will.
    Millions read the Sun every day, it doesn't mean it's any good. :-)

If they try it with another presenter it will fail. Especially if, as we all suspect, JC ends up on another channel being JC for someone else...

Really glad to hear Chris Evans confirm categorically that he isn't in the running for the job. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Top Gear will live on ..... Netflix are interested in Clarkson and co as no doubt will Sky and ITV. I don't think the BBC had any choice to be honest as it seems Clarkson did punch a work colleague. It will be interesting to see if all the repeats on Dave get pulled.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Something that pulls in 300 million annually past its sell by date? That show is worth over a billion pounds to taxpayers. Fuck me some people really don't get business. Without Clarkson it will bomb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10634
    So an Eastenders actor can kill a taxi driver and be on the beeb but a TG presenter can't punch a producer ;)

My sons who have no interest in cars watch TG because of the presenters. I think that alleged punch will Clarkson a very rich man, funny old world isn't it !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    So an Eastenders actor can kill a taxi driver and be on the beeb but a TG presenter can't punch a producer ;)
    I think you'll find he served time in a German jail for his crime.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    If they scrap TG, my concern would be finding another source of practical, rounded and well presented information and news about the motoring industry.....  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Basically you need a big loud bloke, a scruffy bloke and a little bloke and some chemistry between them. I give you the new Top Gear team ....

Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath, and Griff Rhys-Jones ..

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1630
    impmann said:
    JohnPerry said:
    impmann said:

Millions read the Sun every day, it doesn't mean it's any good. :-)

but it is precisely because it is good at what it does that millions buy it. Others who don't read it not liking it is another matter

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    One thing I don't get: if as alleged he gave the producer 20 minutes of verbals and then takes a swing at him as the coup de grace, why the hell didn't the Producer just hit back and put him on his arse?

New TG team? Give me Suzi Perry, someone young, gifted and black, and chuck Evans a bundle to head it up.

Get Jay Leno on board in some capacity too.

Maybe Henry Cole of world's greatest bike rides. Spread the remit to two wheels as well as four.

Special reports by Bradley Wiggins and Chris Boardman on cycling issues.

Fuck it, let's call it The Road Show and have a weekly 90 min extravaganza of freedom and travel.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Clarkson HAD to go. You just can't get pissed, insult and punch a colleague for any reason...let alone hot food. BBC are only trying to retain the Top Gear name to salvage as much of the 50 millions revenue the show is bringing them and their plan is destined to fail. Why? Because Clarkson and his crew will be on another channel before you know it and the 5m audience will have switched over rather that suffer the view of a dying show with below par hosts.