Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Johnny Marr - is it just me ?

What's Hot

Comments

• gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Bit of man love for the smiths from Noel here, got to say I genuinely lol'd watching this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Anybody who refers to guitar playing as guitar work, won't get it.
    My V key is broken
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4154
    Paulo;69417" said:
    [quote="Deadman;68766"][quote="Paulo;68743"]I used to jam with Johnny Marr on occasion or just listen to him noodling on guitar. He was a tremendously inventive and original player albeit as someone who was a melting pot of his influences. He had an intuitive understanding of altered tunings and would come up with ideas and voicings you wouldn't expect. I rated him as a musician though I've not heard much that innovation in more recent recordings.
    Really? I'm impressed. What years?[/quote]

Mid 80s. Nothing to be impressed about though :-)

[/quote]

You're kidding me! Well I am impressed!
    Deadman said:
    hywelg said:
    ToneControl said:

I have wondered whether starting this thread has been quite as jolly an idea as I'd hoped, and I don't think I'm wrong in detecting hackles raised. Is it really such heresy to ask such a question?

It appears so.

I too asked to be educated about JM, so I asked for some clips of his best work. So far, not much has been forthcoming. Is that because you have to like the Smiths to 'get'  him? I don't like the Smiths, clarification I don't like Morriseys voice, a lot like Leonard Cohen with a band, music to cut your wrists to, but take away or substitute the singer and the songs would be very different, maybe. But...... give me a song with a good guitar part no matter what style or genre and I'll have a listen.

I can't give you technical (obviously), but I can give you a guitar that is the most befitting tribute and one that fits the concept of the inevitably sad lyrics perfectly.
    JM isn't going out to be flash Harry here. He's just doing what a lot of us have been telling you about, that is providing a perfect (and to most, unique) accompaniment. You'll more than likely hate it, which I can understand, but for those of us who dig the old Manchester scene and Indie in general, it's musical heaven. Perhaps we're just musically challenged compared to your good self? If that's what the naysayers believe then I'm cool with that.

Im sorry but the guitar in that video was terrible, you could take it out and replace it with say keys and the song wouldn't be overly affected in any way. Serves no functional part in the composition for me.
    You're entitled to your opinion. You're wrong though
    [-(
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    hywelg said: 'He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles'.
    You know that was a joke (at McCartney's expense), yes?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Deadman said:

[-(
    Really? Imagine the song without the bass? Fundamentally different right? Same thing with the vocals. Imagine the song without the guitar and its pretty much the identical. Putting aside whether I like it or not I dont think the guitar is important to that track at all.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ewalewal Frets: 2817
    holnrew said:
    Anybody who refers to guitar playing as guitar work, won't get it.
    Not sure what is I'm not getting, but I'm sure you're right.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12249

I'm not sure Suffer little children is a very good example, I found more impressive pieces in my search, but it's useful to know that Smiths fans consider this a good example of what's specific to JM, since I think it's one of the weaker ones for guitar - The guitar on Suffer little children is pretty basic and repetitive. I imagine that it was intended as an anti-rock simple bit of rhythm guitar, intentionally avoiding any ornamentation or distraction from the lyrics, it does work if this is the point, the self-restraint would have been refreshing to people sick of Led Zep, I recall the huge hate there was floating around for prog rock and bands like Led Zep at the time. The only other reason than desired style would be that there was no other option apparent to the player on the day.

Personally, I would (in the 80s even) have felt compelled to put more variation into this after the demo track stage. I have no problems with simple, but like some variation

Barbarism Begins At Home  was a  lot more interesting, nice and busy, it's perfect for a pop song, again I hear some chord fragments that remind me of Nigerian high-life. Anyway, I can find plenty of nice bits of rhythm guitar craft in tracks on the albums I have revisited. I still like what difference does it make.

I'd like to agree on some kind of consensus, which for me would be that he plays good, often interesting jangly rhythm work with some nice textures in it, rather than that there's some secret in there that I am unable to understand because I'm not part of the fan base.

It's a fact that most people like music that's a little more complex than their personal current understanding (since it's a challenge), I've seen documentaries demonstrating this. We can all expect to like a different amount of complexity in what we listen to. Personally I can happily listen to quite a bit of Jazz, African stuff and classical, and stuff like King Crimson, Jah Wobble and Bill Laswell, so basic chord arpeggios sound a bit dull to me. I love Matt Schofield, but when I took my blues fan mate to see him, he didn't like it at all, since he does a few Jazzy things in there, which pushed my mate a bit too far.

Checking my old copy of Guitarist today, it starts Jonny Marr's interview with "Britain's greatest pop guitarist since the 60s", and this is the sort of thing I am talking about. He's a tasteful guitarist, who knows his craft, but no one from the 70s onwards can touch him? Really?

•  

Checking my old copy of Guitarist today, it starts Jonny Marr's interview with "Britain's greatest pop guitarist since the 60s", and this is the sort of thing I am talking about. He's a tasteful guitarist, who knows his craft, but no one from the 70s onwards can touch him? Really?

Yeah, but nobody is saying that apart from the dick who wrote the article for Guitarist.  He wouldn't be the first sensationalistic journalist to stretch a claim to push the importance of his interview would he?  Of course he's not the best pop guitarist since the 60s and I doubt he personally would make that claim.

It's a fact that most people like music that's a little more complex than their personal current understanding (since it's a challenge), I've seen documentaries demonstrating this. We can all expect to like a different amount of complexity in what we listen to. Personally I can happily listen to quite a bit of Jazz, African stuff and classical, and stuff like King Crimson, Jah Wobble and Bill Laswell, so basic chord arpeggios sound a bit dull to me.

What a silly cork-sniffing statement which kind of sums up why this irked you in the first place.  Only idiots would listen to 'basic chord based arpeggios and intelligent people listen to jazz, classical and African music'?  What utter nonsense.  It's not a fact it's just some ridiculous interpretation someone made in a documentary which makes people who believe they are 'being challenged' by listening to some uninterpretable art piece feel superior . 

Most rock music is made up of simple repetitive riffs.  It's widespread appreciation amongst musicians who try to imitate it must be down to the good fortune that most musicians are simple creatures who don't want to be challenged due to their poor understanding.

I love Matt Schofield, but when I took my blues fan mate to see him, he didn't like it at all, since he does a few Jazzy things in there, which pushed my mate a bit too far.

This is absolute factual proof that you have a greater understanding of music that your mate.  Well done. :D
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I agree with pretty much everything you say.. Describing anyone as the "greatest" at something which is as subjective and personal as music is pointless hyperbole.
    If it helps, I think Led Zep are shit. Really, really shit.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."

RHC, you are trying to paint a picture of me as some kind of snob who insists on trying to be clever with what he listens to. I rejected that option 30 years ago, and still enjoy lots and lots of simple music as well as complex.

Anyway, I get the message, there's some kind of Emperor's new clothes thing going on, and no one really wants to talk about it, and those who do get insults lobbed at them

I'm not just saying that, you know - I think Jimmy Page plays like a gimp and I know Robert Planet is a twat :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lixarto said:

I just realised it's helped me, Zep were my favourite band for years, and I simply chuckled reading this

I think I had assumed that musos would all be non-partisan

• vizviz Frets: 11026
    Led Zap are great!!! What are you talking about!!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.

Lixarto said:
    Amen to that. I would rather chew tin foil than listen to Robert Plant (the rest of them are slightly more bearable).
  • Anyone who claims not to understand why Johnny Marr ends up in these lists is either lying or doesn't know anything about popular guitar based music.

I mean why on earth would the guitarist from one of the most influential bands of all time end up getting credit? Especially when he has a unique style. Mental, eh?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    Anyone who claims not to understand why Johnny Marr ends up in these lists is either lying or doesn't know anything about popular guitar based music.
    Totally agree.  If you look at it without any personal feelings I do think this is as complex as it gets.

RHC, you are trying to paint a picture of me as some kind of snob who insists on trying to be clever with what he listens to. I rejected that option 30 years ago, and still enjoy lots and lots of simple music as well as complex.

Anyway, I get the message, there's some kind of Emperor's new clothes thing going on, and no one really wants to talk about it, and those who do get insults lobbed at them

What insults?  Inferring that the bogus fact you stated about people liking music above their understanding hence you would find arpeggiated chords dull suggests that your musical understanding is greater than others, hence giving you the ability to ignore their 'blinded fanboy' responses?  To suggest I'm trying to paint you as a music snob is nonsense, your previous post did that.

As I said earlier I do find amusing that despite the reasoned responses (again to the question you posed) you keep making reference to people getting agitated when the only person displaying that is you in your belief that people don't think you are entitled to air your opinions. 

You're whole repetitive response is that you don't get it so there must be nothing there.  "Emperors new clothes"?  So not only those who have commented here, but a large section of the music world, Guitarist magazine, every artist that has worked with Johnny Marr and every band that have tried to imitate The Smiths have all been conned by something that fortunately you were shrewd enough to spot?  Again, I'm not inferring that you are a music snob or that you feel your understanding of music is greater than the rest of us, you are.

No-one has said to you 'You must like Johnny Marr.'.  No-one has tried to suggest Marr is a virtuoso.  They just gave their responses to your original question.  More so no-one has done as you do and suggested that a lack of musical understanding may be why you don't.  Quite bluntly though and regardless of whether you like or dislike Marr (don't worry we know), if you cannot understand why a large section of people rate him or why he is significant as a guitarist then your understanding of popular British music since 1980 is woeful. 

There are some fanatical Smiths fans who worship Marr & Morrissey as gods,  I am far, far from one of them.  They are not my 'scene' whatsoever but I'm not naïve enough to ignore their importance regardless of personal taste.  I am not a fan of Nu-Metal at all yet every time I pick up any Top Guitarist 100 list (which any sane person realises is nonsense) Mick Thompson and Jim Root will feature and I fully appreciate why.

As I asked earlier, would you consider it's right for Pete Townshend to be thought of as a guitar legend?  If not then fair enough but it would explain why in you opinion the likes of Johnny Marr or Peter Buck do not deserve recognition as guitarist in their own right.

Lixarto said:

I just realised it's helped me, Zep were my favourite band for years, and I simply chuckled reading this

I think I had assumed that musos would all be non-partisan

Earlier you said you thought Johnny Marr's playing was derivative of Jimmy Page's.  If Led Zeppelin were your favourite band for years and you genuinely listened to Marr I am curious at how you made this connection?  It's just most musical commentators of the time would describe the way Marr approached his playing as as disparate from Page's as you could get within that British rock scene. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4154
    PolarityMan;70194" said:
    Deadman said:

[-(

Really? Imagine the song without the bass? Fundamentally different right? Same thing with the vocals. Imagine the song without the guitar and its pretty much the identical. Putting aside whether I like it or not I dont think the guitar is important to that track at all.
    I'm just messing with you bud. I'll put myself forward as the most obsessive Smiths/Johnny Marr fan on this site (quite possibly!) So everything I'm saying is completely biased anyway. Don't take me seriously.
    The thread is becoming quite serious and emotions are high. I'm surprised.
    The emperor's new clothes comment made me laugh. Perhaps you're right TC.
    Perhaps it's because I love the basics and don't do flash at all. I'm a Tele man afterall!

I've reread my posts before posting in this thread to make sure I am not getting personal. I've received a few insulting responses, which I am a bit disappointed with

I don't dislike Johnny Marr, and I have stated repeatedly that he's a good guitarist. I've asked "am I missing something extra", the response has been people who share my view, assertions that it's just that I "don't get it" (which is why I asked, I know that already), and example tracks that feature nothing unusual to my ears

The Emperor's new clothes reference is because the response to me not seeing something special there, which people say there is, has repeatedly been "there's something wrong with your perception", rather than any kind of rational discussion about technique or style.

Variation of taste with the complexity people are comfortable with in music is not some bogus theory I dreamt up, it was demonstrated by a classical music school on the interesting programme I watched, they showed various individuals to illustrate this. People like different amounts of complexity. Since I've been told several times that some people "don't get it", I'm trying to find a reason why I don't. This does not make me a "cork-sniffer", which is a pretty confrontational term.

To suggest that JM is derivative of Jimmy Page would be nuts, it's very misleading to say that I thought that, I said:

"Jimmy Page played a lot of styles, my point being that he was as mainstream a rock player as you can get, but jangley chords were part of his repertoire & there was quite a bit of it about with plenty of players: "The song remains the same" is the example I have in mind "

meaning that evening Page, the kind of player Marr is widely known to be so different from, used jangley arpeggios, therefore they were not something new.

I know the "best of" lists are not some league table to be taken too seriously - "my player won/lost", it's the opinions tacked onto these that puzzle me, and occasional conversations, in which sometimes I am expected to nod and agree that Marr has some special powers. Like most big-name musos, he's a competent musician who was the lucky one who hit the big time. Any of us here will know dozens of people with outstanding albums and playing at many levels who never got anywhere. As influential as any big name guitarist is, including all my favourites, they were always in the right place at the right time, and they only as gifted as dozens of their contemporaries who now hold down normal jobs in normal lives, does anyone here truly think otherwise, I know punters do, but musos should know better. I think that uncritical hero worship amongst musos constrains creativity. Players should be able to recognise weaknesses in their own and their heros' playing, how else can we learn and improve anything?  would have liked to hear more about his influences and techniques, but this thread has probably gone too far off course now

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom