Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Johnny Marr - is it just me ?

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Not wanting to bash JM particularly as he always seems a normal decent bloke on tv interviews, but Andy Summers was the pop master of arpeggios ahead of JM  and I can't put them in the same league as guitar players. I do respect that he was different in his approach and kudos for that. I might have said that I never 'got' the Smiths and Sainsbury or whatever his name is always struck me as a wanker.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto said:
    hywelg said: 'He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles'.
    You know that was a joke (at McCartney's expense), yes?
    He probably never even said it.
    Use Your Brian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • found this when looking for other stuff, I hope this is a treat for some of you

He was 19 when he recorded that. Listen to the bit at 1.05 and tell me Andy Summers - or whoever - was doing anything like that at a similar age? Or at all?

A lot of Marr's best bits were sacrificed in the studio, he chose to replace the arpeggios played here (@45secs) with keyboards: this is not easy to work out, never mind play:

This riff is really tough to work out and hard to play, on the record you can't hear it properly but this crappy live version gives you an idea: if you know anything about fingerstyle guitar you will understand what's going on, if not, you might not 'get it'.

Care to show me one of these 'complex Andy Summers' riffs where he picks out chords at this kind of speed?

I happen to love his music, but the technique he displayed and breadth of styles - at such a young age - makes him top ten material. 

• The lovely layers of guitar on this mask a pretty nifty main riff.

Here's the main part (more or less). Not so easy to pick clean and just lovely. 

• found this when looking for other stuff, I hope this is a treat for some of you

Cheers. That's fantastic playing.

I'm far from a Smiths fan but that track in particular is the one that makes me like Marr. I can imagine how he'd have come up with it, as it's similar to the mindset I had playing with an old band, but to be the first to do so when everyone around you is playing floyds and spending every penny on hairspray and spandex is phenomenal

To suggest it's not impressive because it's not technically difficult in the Vai/EVH/Satch way is ridiculous. That's like saying Beethoven's 9th is rubbish because the bassoons aren't pushing themselves.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    stickyfiddle said: To suggest it's not impressive because it's not technically difficult in the Vai/EVH/Satch way is ridiculous. That's like saying Beethoven's 9th is rubbish because the bassoons aren't pushing themselves.
    Well put :)

Mr Marr is a lot more musical than the shred boys :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    edited December 2013
    Lixarto said:

Portsmouth Sinfonietta are more musical than the shred boys   ;)    
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Well, yes :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Lixarto said:
    stickyfiddle said: To suggest it's not impressive because it's not technically difficult in the Vai/EVH/Satch way is ridiculous. That's like saying Beethoven's 9th is rubbish because the bassoons aren't pushing themselves.

Ezzackerly :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    edited December 2013

Lixarto said:

Ezzackerly :)

What do you mean by 'musical'? I'm no shred-head (I think I could listen to Marr for longer if I could filter out Morrissey's godforsaken drone, although I like a bit of widdling in small doses) but there's no doubting the musicality of the likes of Satch and Vai, surely? Do you mean 'you can hum along', or 'I like it better', or something?
    Use Your Brian