The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31262
    edited October 2023
    So- one of the most amazing moments of my life- got to ask Siya Kolisi the first Q of the presser at the biggest rugby event in history.

2.03 in.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    @gassage - So much time for Kolisli - I'd be amazed if he did not go into politics - He is so humble - talks so much sense and speaks for his people 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @gassage - So much time for Kolisli - I'd be amazed if he did not go into politics - He is so humble - talks so much sense and speaks for his people 
    In which case is he badly suited ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1414
    Wayne Barnes announced his retirement from refereeing
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    edited November 2023
    Warmed to Barnes over the years. 

I remember Leinster v Clermont ERC group game  from about 10 years ago with some genuinely baffling decisions, but he's certainly one of the best refs around. I think he was the first one I heard using players names in play, like "use it now Conor!" "No Peter, NO!". It annoyed me at first but I got to quite like it.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2667
    I didn't like the way he used player's names, because clearly he didn't/couldn't know everyone's names, only the 'big' or players he'd ref'ed a few times. As such, he had a different relationship with some players than he did with others. Which is wrong basically.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32043
    And it's cringey. 
  • Well done Red Roses, beating NZ 33-12.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24906
    ewal said:
    I didn't like the way he used player's names, because clearly he didn't/couldn't know everyone's names, only the 'big' or players he'd ref'ed a few times. As such, he had a different relationship with some players than he did with others. Which is wrong basically.
    Or he learned them for the match.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2055
    The English women's rugby league team savaged the Welsh 60 - 0 :3
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1414
    Interesting that many players from the RWC played yesterday. Some were rested. Not that anything nefarious is going on because they were everywhere so it must have been permitted under the guidelines but isn’t this another example of piss poor player welfare?

Mnay of the players went straight from the end of the domestic season into training camp. Those that didn’t were still playing in the prem final iirc. So they had the summer in training camp, then went to France. While my thoughts are obviously around England players, I am not so sure the Welsh or Irish players had a break. Under normal circumstances I think players have a mandated rest period of 6 weeks over the summer.

Am I right in this or over thinking it. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1989
    edited November 2023
    Schnozz said:
    The English women's rugby league team savaged the Welsh 60 - 0 3
    Hardly a surprise, a bit like commenting on Man City thumping a non- league team. Womens Pro Rugby League in Wales is less developed even  than RU (and that only became Pro in the last couple of years). England Women have played in a RL WC as "England" since 2008. Welsh Women's RL only became a thing in 2019 according to Wikipedia?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2869
    So Wales have apparently now run out of fit fly halves

What happened to Sheedy - he looked a very good prospect?

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2869
    Sunday night wacky idea

Team reduced to 11 players

6 forwards , by “removing” the two wing forwards

5 backs - whether remove 1 half back and 1 centre, or 2 wingers, or whatever you want

integrity of game maintained, scrums backs and forwards, but create space on the pitch 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11548
    sev112 said:
    Sunday night wacky idea

Team reduced to 11 players

6 forwards , by “removing” the two wing forwards

5 backs - whether remove 1 half back and 1 centre, or 2 wingers, or whatever you want

integrity of game maintained, scrums backs and forwards, but create space on the pitch 

Not so good at lower levels.   The players aren't fit enough to cover that amount of ground.  There is a reason a sevens match is only 14 minutes long.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1989
    sev112 said:
    So Wales have apparently now run out of fit fly halves

What happened to Sheedy - he looked a very good prospect?

He doesn’t play in Wales and doesn’t have enough caps to qualify. I can’t remember what the cap rule was reduced to but pretty sure he’s under it. That said, if there’s no one else in Wales that is suitable, I suspect he’ll be given another call up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2055
    exocet said:
    Schnozz said:
    The English women's rugby league team savaged the Welsh 60 - 0 3
    Hardly a surprise, a bit like commenting on Man City thumping a non- league team. Womens Pro Rugby League in Wales is less developed even  than RU (and that only became Pro in the last couple of years). England Women have played in a RL WC as "England" since 2008. Welsh Women's RL only became a thing in 2019 according to Wikipedia?
    Excuses, excuses... The game has been around since the 1800s, so more than enough time for them to sort their shit out.

Savaged 'em :3
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24906
    PSA:

ITV are showing Saints -v- Chiefs today for free.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3938
    PSA:

ITV are showing Saints -v- Chiefs today for free.
    Thanks
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31262
    Just had an amazing hour interviewing Mike Tadjer, the incredible Portugal hooker- one of the characters of the Rugby World Cup- on his retirement. What an inspirational man. He plays classical guitar and has a beautiful Alvarez.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom