The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    I fell asleep at half time in the England game. Did I miss anything? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    scrumhalf said:
    I fell asleep at half time in the England game. Did I miss anything? 

I switched off at 1/2 time on the Ireland game, after the red card  I knew it wouldnt be worth watching
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited February 3
    fucking network  - causing double posts  - why cant you delete them   !!!!! meh meh meh
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    bertie said:
    Pretty dull game.

No fire from Ford. Dingwall largely anonymous. Freeman was very good, as was Steward   and Root was superb

FTFY

As its at Twickers................... I wonder of Finn will start next week................  also Barrington-Smythe or what ever his name is
    Maybe.

I'm properly disappointed in Dingwall. He's been ace in the Prem but he never seemed to go looking for work today.
    White shirt nerves seem to affect him badly.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15879
    edited February 3
    hywelg said:
    Here's the table so far based on the opening match national anthems

1.  Wales
    2.  France
    3.  Italy
    4. Scotland
    5.  England
    6,  Ireland
    I think the championship will be decided by who has the most home games. Both Wales and Scotland anthems are very strong at home, I would say Flower of Scotland at murrayfield is the best, whereas Land of my Fathers is probably better on the road. Both very strong and it could come down to who holds their nerve the longest. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    hywelg said:

1.  Wales
    2.  France
    3.  Italy
    4. Scotland
    5.  England
    6,  Ireland

Well the actual table will be 1 and 6 reversed at the very least. Wales are going to have a very difficult season.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5030
    bertie said:
    Pretty dull game.

No fire from Ford. Dingwall largely anonymous. Freeman was very good, as was Steward   and Root was superb

FTFY

As its at Twickers................... I wonder of Finn will start next week................  also Barrington-Smythe or what ever his name is
    Maybe.

I'm properly disappointed in Dingwall. He's been ace in the Prem but he never seemed to go looking for work today.
    Do you really expect to parachute some guy into the National team, and that this guy will flick all the right switches and transform the team into serial winners?  That simply doesn’t happen. You have to plan for the upcoming games and plan for promoting players to replace the older existing players. This takes time. And continuity. And patience. Success does not happen overnight. So give the lad a chance. Of course he will make mistakes. Accept that and he will learn from making those mistakes. Just be patient. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    edited February 3
    hywelg said:

1.  Wales
    2.  France
    3.  Italy
    4. Scotland
    5.  England
    6,  Ireland
    I’ll grant you, Irelands Call is shiiiiiite - and Amhran Na Bhfiann isn’t much better - but of all 6 I’d submit that it’s the most important, given what it facilitates. 

I’d swap Italy and Scotland in that rundown. I really like Flower of Scotland. Otherwise that’s a solid list.  Land of My Fathers is a banger. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1404
    bertie said:
    Pretty dull game.

FTFY

I’ll message his mum and let you know. Ford wasn’t good. The Italians physically dominated him. But the Welsh are mounting a strong comeback so they may be a different proposition next week. The game was a snooze fest in the second half
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Well, that was a second half to savour. Don't get many like that...

And to think I nearly turned off at 0-27..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    Rocker said:
    bertie said:
    Pretty dull game.

FTFY

Maybe.

Do you really expect to parachute some guy into the National team, and that this guy will flick all the right switches and transform the team into serial winners?  That simply doesn’t happen. You have to plan for the upcoming games and plan for promoting players to replace the older existing players. This takes time. And continuity. And patience. Success does not happen overnight. So give the lad a chance. Of course he will make mistakes. Accept that and he will learn from making those mistakes. Just be patient. 
    Where did I say I expected him to be a transformative winner? To be world class at his first attempt?

I didn’t in the slightest. I don’t expect anyone to have the composure of a 50 cap man on the first try…. And I didn’t say that.

He didn’t play as well as he plays for his club. Saints would have subbed him after 30 mins with that performance.

That’s what’s disappointing. He played well below his day job capability.

As for more chances, I’d like that for him. But this is elite level and I think he’ll get dropped, at least to the bench.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• ewalewal Frets: 2657
    That was a difficult watch. George Horne always seems to have an impact when comes on. So it was today.

Lots to work on....
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    ewal said:
    That was a difficult watch. George Horne always seems to have an impact when comes on. So it was today.

Lots to work on....
    I think if I was GT I’d be concentrating on getting rid of all the crappy obstructions and off-the-ball cynicism and concentrate on playing actual rugby, because Scotland are quite good at that and refs get tired of the niggly cynical stuff quite quickly. 14 consecutive penalties, and there should have been more. And head contact with a shoulder has been a yellow at least for several seasons now - I’m not sure why Scotland are exempt.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2657
    I thought the commentary team explained that decision quite well. Nigel Owens also agreed too - sensible referreeing IMO.

As for Scotland being exempt - you obviously don't watch too many Scotland games  ;)

Agree with you otherwise, as did Finn in his post-match interview. The penalty count was disgraceful. We didn't play any rugby for 30 minutes until Horne came on.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5030
    hywelg said:
    Let's hope results are based on the quality of the anthems then Wales will walk it. Ireland's is dire , it really is, it even has that classic indicator of a poor song , a key change. 

My father passed away a fortnight ago and this is the first time.in decades when I won't be able to commiserate with him after another loss by Wales or rejoice a win.
    My deepest sympathy @hywelg on your sad loss.

I agree with you that the Irish anthem is dire.  It is a compromise as the Ireland team is an all Ireland team representing a country that has two separate jurisdictions.   If/when Ireland is united again, a decent anthem that represents all backgrounds and beliefs can be agreed.  I am curious why you think a key change is an indicator of a poor song.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited February 4
    just watched the Wales/Scotland game.................. wow if ever the "game of two halves" cliche was apt....................great comeback,  but when Scotland were back to 15 players,  they still looked the better team at the end.  
    The trip to Murryfield is going to be tough

just a shame that there isnt a "jonathan davies filter"  on the broadcast
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3329
    Gregor Townsend has a 'golden' generation of Scotland players akin to Gatland's 2011-13 squad. He really cant hope to ever have such a good selection of players, several of whom are world class, ever again.  I'm not saying they should win the world cup but to be unable to win anything is pretty poor. Yes France and Ireland are excellent but one year Scotland should be able to string 5  performances together or at least 4 and top the table if not the Grand Slam.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 4
    He played well below his day job capability.

As for more chances, I’d like that for him. But this is elite level and I think he’ll get dropped, at least to the bench.

especially as he had the luxury of so many Saints colleagues around him.   Shame,  I wanted him to play with Lawrence, and he could have been the partner we're looking for

After a quite wobbly start,  I think Slade showed some composure, and his kicking from hand, was reminiscent of the infamous Saracens match at Sandy Park

Personally -  once we sort out  properly 10 12 13  I think we have some very good building blocks with that squad
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    bertie said:
    Jiffy always sounds so miserable, even if he isn't. He could make a lottery win sound like a trip to the dentist. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 4
    scrumhalf said:
    bertie said:
    Jiffy always sounds so miserable, even if he isn't. He could make a lottery win sound like a trip to the dentist. 

its his blatant refusal to recognise anything good done by the opposition,  Andy Nicol was the same.  Yes they're there to be a partisan,  but not blinkardly so.

oh and some more shouting at clouds,   the fucking TV camera work in Italy............ do they not have zoom lenses over there...........it was either wide angle from the top of the stand,  or up the refs nose close,    and no smooth transition from one to the other.................