The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    bertie said:
    scrumhalf said:
    bertie said:
    just a shame that there isnt a "jonathan davies filter"  on the broadcast
    Jiffy always sounds so miserable, even if he isn't. He could make a lottery win sound like a trip to the dentist. 

its his blatant refusal to recognise anything good done by the opposition,  Andy Nicol was the same.  Yes they're there to be a partisan,  but not blinkardly so.

oh and some more shouting at clouds,   the fucking TV camera work in Italy............ do they not have zoom lenses over there...........it was either wide angle from the top of the stand,  or up the refs nose close,    and no smooth transition from one to the other.................
    they obviously studied at the “Eddie Butler (RIP) School of Commentating”.  Lovely bloke and beautiful wordsmith, but he could see the positive in a Welsh Red Card and it being the fault of the opposition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    As Wales were coming back yesterday I really thought they’d win it. And it would have largely been down to Scotland. Over the years they’ve been finding really good players for different positions, but the mental side of things seems to be something that lets them down.  They’re a better team than Wales. There should never have been a point in it. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    Gregor Townsend has a 'golden' generation of Scotland players akin to Gatland's 2011-13 squad. He really cant hope to ever have such a good selection of players, several of whom are world class, ever again.  I'm not saying they should win the world cup but to be unable to win anything is pretty poor. Yes France and Ireland are excellent but one year Scotland should be able to string 5  performances together or at least 4 and top the table if not the Grand Slam.  

I agree to a point but they lack a couple of serious big gainline units.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

bertie said:

Jiffy yesterday: "You can't measure momentum..."

Me: "Errr...well actually it's mass x velocity...."

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Breaking: Barry John passes aged 79.
    Arguably the greatest fly half of all time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2043
    scrumhalf said:
    bertie said:
    Jiffy always sounds so miserable, even if he isn't. He could make a lottery win sound like a trip to the dentist. 
    I love the guy - Thankfully rugby has primarily rugby players presenting and not Laura Woods, Alex Scott, Dan Walker and other useless pricks.

I dont mind Gabby, but would prefer Sarah Hunter or someone.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14808
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Breaking: Barry John passes aged 79.
    Arguably the greatest fly half of all time.
    Agree

just posted within tributes
    Schnozz said:
    scrumhalf said:
    bertie said:
    I love the guy - Thankfully rugby has primarily rugby players presenting and not Laura Woods, Alex Scott, Dan Walker and other useless pricks.

I agree but it must be his age which is turning him into a parade of himself.  

Did they have Nigel Owens sitting next to him too - now THAT is confusing.
    now he’s another fabulous guy who hasn’t quite got commentating yet …
    ”Nigel, can you tell the viewers why in that maul the defending side got the ball when it stalled? “
    Nigel : “yes because that’s the rule”
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    Lewis Ludlam has confirmed he's leaving Saints at the end of the season.

No confirmation as to where he's going, but he's been seen at Toulon a lot lately.
    Shame for Saints, but as England have an embarrassment of riches for the back row at the moment he might as well try to fill up the pension while he can. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• PjonPjon Frets: 313
    sev112 said:
    Schnozz said:
    scrumhalf said:
    bertie said:

I agree but it must be his age which is turning him into a parade of himself.  

Don't forget that he stopped playing 27 years ago, and is now in his 60s. He only played for two years into rugby union's professional era, and it's such a different sport now, ball shape aside, that he's about as much use as the professional presenters mentioned above.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    I do like Flats, and Ben K,   Lol is a bit too serious,  I dont even mind Oz  when he's "on form"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 643
    Pjon said:
    Don't forget that he stopped playing 27 years ago, and is now in his 60s. He only played for two years into rugby union's professional era, and it's such a different sport now, ball shape aside, that he's about as much use as the professional presenters mentioned above.
    Steady on! Would have been a handful in any era, and knows the game better than most even if his contribution from the commentary box is sometimes just a string of anguished noises when Wales are playing. 

I enjoy having him around, and I wish we still got the Jiffy & Brian Moore double act every now and then. You know who else needs to be brought back? Keith Wood.

Was glad that John Barclay got a go in the box at the weekend – think he's very good.
    bertie said:
    I do like Flats, and Ben K,   Lol is a bit too serious,  I dont even mind Oz  when he's "on form"
    I like Flatman but I hate how he refers to players by their nicknames - all too pally for me that sort of thin
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    barnstorm said:
    Pjon said:
    Steady on! Would have been a handful in any era, and knows the game better than most even if his contribution from the commentary box is sometimes just a string of anguished noises when Wales are playing. 

Tbh, he irritated me when he played (as much as he was a great player) and have had some professional contact with him which may colour my comments. :D

I would prefer more recent players as commentators. There are plenty of them, and quite a lot have won a damn sight more than Jiffy ever did in union. (oh there I go again.. :D
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5030
    Do you want to be informed or entertained?  If it is the former, Shane Horgan.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11522
    Pjon said:

I would prefer more recent players as commentators. There are plenty of them, and quite a lot have won a damn sight more than Jiffy ever did in union. (oh there I go again.. :D

Be careful what you wish for.  Having to put up with Pietersen on the cricket makes me miss Michael Holding even more.

I don't really care how old they are as long as they are good.
    The commentators rate Pietersen.  
    @Pjon I will admit to being partial to some of the old heads! The other one I'm always pleased to hear from is Fitzpatrick.
    crunchman said:
    Pjon said:

Be careful what you wish for.  Having to put up with Pietersen on the cricket makes me miss Michael Holding even more.

Yes – I still tune in wanting to hear Holding and Benaud! Amazing how indelible an impression the great commentators make.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    crunchman said:
    Pjon said:

OK its way OT,for this thread but re the above.........can i throw Phil Neville into the mix
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.