The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1984
    Pjon said:
    barnstorm said:
    Pjon said:
    Don't forget that he stopped playing 27 years ago, and is now in his 60s. He only played for two years into rugby union's professional era, and it's such a different sport now, ball shape aside, that he's about as much use as the professional presenters mentioned above.
    Steady on! Would have been a handful in any era, and knows the game better than most even if his contribution from the commentary box is sometimes just a string of anguished noises when Wales are playing. 

Tbh, he irritated me when he played (as much as he was a great player) and have had some professional contact with him which may colour my comments. :D

I would prefer more recent players as commentators. There are plenty of them, and quite a lot have won a damn sight more than Jiffy ever did in union. (oh there I go again.. :D
    My view of players is heavily biased by "Magic Moments" on the pitch. I really don't warm to Matt Dawson but for me he was a great player if only for that audacious try he scored for B&I Lions against SA.
    For me Jiffy was one of the greats - the try v Scotland will forever be etched in my mind - speed of thought and execution was sublime (the one where he took a ballooned reverse pass from Robert Jones - kicked for the line, ran and scored.
    Also against NZ on that tour in the late 80's, Wales were absolutely shocking and were hammered and yet towards the end of one of those hammerings, he was still giving it 100% and managed to run a try in from a fair way out. He would've achieved far more in Union if Wales been any good. By the time he returned  he was getting on a bit and the Welsh side still weren't up to much. His RL days were far more impressive and managing to hold his own in ARL was no mean feat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    exocet said:
    My view of players is heavily biased by "Magic Moments" on the pitch. I really don't warm to Matt Dawson but for me he was a great player if only for that audacious try he scored for B&I Lions against SA.
    For me Jiffy was one of the greats - the try v Scotland will forever be etched in my mind - speed of thought and execution was sublime (the one where he took a ballooned reverse pass from Robert Jones - kicked for the line, ran and scored.
    Also against NZ on that tour in the late 80's, Wales were absolutely shocking and were hammered and yet towards the end of one of those hammerings, he was still giving it 100% and managed to run a try in from a fair way out. He would've achieved far more in Union if Wales been any good. By the time he returned  he was getting on a bit and the Welsh side still weren't up to much. His RL days were far more impressive and managing to hold his own in ARL was no mean feat.
    That's a good point. I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to rugby before he left for league, but was very much into it by the time he returned. And his return was less than glorious, especially when he played his last few games for Wales.  "It's the first time I've been cold for seven years. I was never cold playing rugby league.", he said.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3053
    edited February 7
    Jonathan Davies was my sporting hero when I was a boy in the late 80’s. I actually have more memories of him playing Rugby League- the  S4C programme’Sgorio’ showed highlights of Widnes matches.

I’ve just finished watching’Slammed’, the BBC documentary on the state of Welsh rugby in the 80’s- brilliant viewing for rugby fans of any nation. Another reminder of how bloody good he was, won the Triple Crown, that 88 team was excellent with him, Deveraux, Hadley…, and yes that second test against the All Blacks, they thrashed Wales yet JD got man of the match for his brilliant performance. 

The last truly world class Welsh no 10? 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313

I’ve just finished watching’Slammed’, the BBC documentary on the state of Welsh rugby in the 80’s- brilliant viewing for rugby fans of any nation. Another reminder of how bloody good he was, won the Triple Crown, that 88 team was excellent with him, Deveraux, Hadley…, and yes that second test against the All Blacks, they thrashed Wales yet JD got man of the match for his brilliant performance. 

Yes, a decent documentary. My wife and girls were watching the first one with me and we all went 'Oooof!!' when they showed they Terry Holmes head stamp. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    see North's back in the centre for Saturday
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    Enjoyed a catch up with England's finest, the great Richard Hill yesterday at Penny Hill Park

We discussed the young back rowers, mentoring & development role & his potential come back not happening

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    No changes to England for the weekend.

Should have started Fin Smith next to his clubmates.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15859
    hopefully Cunningham south and feyi waboso can get a bit more game time this time.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:
    hopefully Cunningham south and feyi waboso can get a bit more game time this time.

this

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    Try for me - Scotland win.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3327
    Scotland should have carried on playing and not pissed about with kick tennis when 6 points up.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Schnozz said:
    Try for me - Scotland win.
    Unfortunately not for the TMO. 
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 190
    Halftime at Twickenham. Wales taking their chances. Eng looked hungry but just not clicking so far. 

Unfortunately the game has gone a bit flat. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1424

Dont worry, be silly.
    England are missing Lawes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    “New Courtney” as my youngest calls him (Cunningham-South) needs to start. 

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 190
    Agree. He adds spark which was sorely missing. 
    edited February 10
    at least we won. that's the good bit.

Can't believe there'd be a worse ref than Dickson - there is

apologies on behalf of the RFU for everyone that had to pay for a ticket
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    If Ethan Roots played as he did last week then it wouldn’t have been the case, he didn’t have an obviously good game against much better opponents this week.  Always seems that people want the subs to come on from the start,  it at that point they are playing against not tired opposition