EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    edited June 2016
    hugbot said:
    Bidley said:
    Well the EU sounds like an organisation that has our best interests at heart, we should definitely stay part of it.

/s
    Dealings between nations can't really be thought off as a personal thing.
    So why is that the particular yarn being spun?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • karltonekarltone Frets: 61
    You don't need a trade deal, just free trade. If a country imposes tariffs they are only hurting their own consumers and making their own economies less productive.
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    ICBM said:
    Mkjackary said:
    Why would they do that for canada and then not do that with someone who buys 10 times more...
    Because Canada hasn't gone out of its way to piss them off.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbot_War
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2016
    Bidley said:
    hugbot said:
    Bidley said:
    Well the EU sounds like an organisation that has our best interests at heart, we should definitely stay part of it.

/s

Make no mistake you can definitely antagonise other nations. But I'm saying specifically the notion that the EU is being meanies by not wanting us to go easy isn't really persuading me that obviously shows what good idea it is to leave.

Its like, thats an argument that would be valid if you were talking about your girlfriend -  "if you really loved me you would let me go, the fact that you're so clingy just shows you don't REALLY love me", but it doesen't really hold water on a global politics level. 

I don't really expect the EU to have us "close to their heart", or be our best friends, its made up a of a bunch of places that used to war with each other constantly until we begrudgingly decided to trade instead. I just expect them to scratch our back so long as we scratch theirs. When our backscratching stops I don't expect theirs to continue unabated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73097
    we're all doomed.... I get the message
    No, just making it harder for ourselves than we need to. You can be sure that if we do leave, the EU won't make it any easier than they have to for us to go back in, and it's almost certain we would not get the sort of concessions we do now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116
    ICBM said:
    No, just making it harder for ourselves than we need to. You can be sure that if we do leave, the EU won't make it any easier than they have to for us to go back in, and it's almost certain we would not get the sort of concessions we do now.
    who would want to rejoin? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73097
    Possibly the UK, when we find out that life outside the EU is not quite the land of milk, honey and greener grass promised by Boris and co.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ICBM said:
    Possibly the UK, when we find out that life outside the EU is not quite the land of milk, honey and greener grass promised by Boris and co.
    I don't think there's going to be any of that inside or out. The people who promise it (in either direction) are bribing or scaremongering.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    purely hypothetically thinking…
    it'd be interesting to see what'd happen to the EU if the UK voted out, and then after it's initial wobble went on to thrive in a big way..
    play every note as if it were your first
    hugbot said:
    Bidley said:
    hugbot said:
    Bidley said:

/s

Make no mistake you can definitely antagonise other nations. But I'm saying specifically the notion that the EU is being meanies by not wanting us to go easy isn't really persuading me that obviously shows what good idea it is to leave.
    I don't see it as much of a reason to stay, either.

The threats (and that's exactly what they are) don't endear those parties to anyone. Nobody is expecting the EU to bend over for us, but then the idea that we should kneel and kiss the ring, else we feel the full wrath of the Empire EU is hardly a wonderful proposition.
    edited June 2016
    ICBM said:
    I thought what would happen outside the EU was a complete mystery? Or are there stone cold facts on what the future holds now?

I don't think many are under the illusion that leaving the EU would present any kind of utopia. This referendum is mostly about which pile of shit you like more, and which party you'd rather be sodomised by.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Bidley said:
    which party you'd rather be sodomised by.
    If I can't avoid it, then hopefully the one with the smallest willy
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @ICBM - Surely you see that you argument has fallen to us leaving will "piss them off". So you're advocating staying with people who make foreign policy based on emotion?!

You sincerely believe the Germans will sacrifice their exports to us because we "piss them off"? They would put their economy into recession to do the same to us?!

You are giving perfect reasons to leave...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Hell hath no fury like a French farmer or wine producer who is told he can't sell to the UK or if he does he faces a large tariff. Herman the German also hasn't explained how he'd fill the EU budget hole left by the UK's exit.

We still have Commonwealth which will sell us wine and food - stuff the EU.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5037
    @tonecontrol the link was to the RTE Aeriel site
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    @tonecontrol the link was to the RTE Aeriel site
    the page that came up had no news content though, and then today it's a different front page
    was it about the border? I'd assumed you meant the people of NI
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ICBM said:
    Mkjackary said:
    Why would they do that for canada and then not do that with someone who buys 10 times more...
    Because Canada hasn't gone out of its way to piss them off.
    Businesses that run on the basis of emotions don't tend to last very long.
    ICBM said:
    who would want to rejoin? 

OK - so you are suggesting we should not leave the EU, which will otherwise be taking over our political and legal system, 
    because it is possible that they might retaliate by taxing their imports from us at 1.5%

I return to my theme "look at what other countries gave up, or fought against to gain independence"
    USA - It took a war
    Ireland - limited battles, then 70 years of poverty
    Caribbean countries - poverty
    Greece - wars
    African countries - wars, often followed by poverty
    etc
    etc

so we'd pay 1.5% more for our BMWs, that cash going to the UK govt to spend in the UK
    This is not a big sacrifice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    If we do leave, the EU will start to implode, it won't be in any position to dictate, because there'll be an orderly queue for the exit door.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    chillidoggy;1105193" said:
    If we do leave, the EU will start to implode, it won't be in any position to dictate, because there'll be an orderly queue for the exit door.
    We'll still be blamed for it. No doubt there will be concspiracy theories too....