EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22613
    edited June 2016

the scientists (i.e. people working in Unis) are just worried about their "EU grants", that are paid from "EU money"
    Few of them seem to wonder where the "EU money" comes from

Dyson is right in all the comments he's made
    But, what does he know about running a business and exporting?

In 1998 Dyson wanted to join the Eurozone. He was a Europhile for years. Was he right then? 

When he shifted production to Malaysia from the UK, Britain not being in the Eurozone was a very small factor. It was about money and he now wants to make it easier to employ folk from the Far East. Sounds pretty self-interested to me.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Now we've got some former commissioner warning about a domino effect if we leave. Like what I predicted will happen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dyson is right in all the comments he's made
    That you have to offshore in order to be successful?
    sometimes, yes
    some companies do it well, some do it badly

what's that got to do with this topic?
    Not a lot, I was amusing myself.

Although it is interesting that Home Office immigration rules regarding non EU engineering workers (or rather the hassle Dyson had bringing them here) is cited as one of the reasons he had for offshoring as there wasn't enough of the homegrown variety for him to remain viable here. Would the new set up make it any easier for skilled EU workers in a post leave, points based system I wonder?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited June 2016

the scientists (i.e. people working in Unis) are just worried about their "EU grants", that are paid from "EU money"

In 1998 Dyson wanted to join the Eurozone. He was a Europhile for years. Was he right then? 

When he shifted production to Malaysia from the UK, Britain not being in the Eurozone was a very small factor. It was about money and he now wants to make it easier to employ folk from the Far East. Sounds pretty self-interested to me.  
    Dyson has good reason not to like the EU. His German competitors tried to get his products banned - they lobbied the EU to get the specs changed and even now recent changes to vacuum cleaner specs favour the older inefficient German technology. The Germans also put a spy into Dyson's research centre . Dyson sued Bosch. The EU doesn't even play fair.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9701583/Spy-at-the-centre-of-Dyson-espionage-case-named.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11245359/Dyson-Britain-should-leave-Europe-to-avoid-being-dominated-by-Germans.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'll repeat the question: was Dyson right in 1998 when he said we should join the Eurozone? 

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    No he wasn't. Any more than the IMF was right when they predicted catastrophe for leaving the ERM.

Or any more than the IMF is right for predicting catastrophe for leaving the EU.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • karltonekarltone Frets: 61
    If Tariffs were to be imposed the consumers of the UK and the EU would be the ones to lose out. Because we import more than we export to the EU then we would have a net gain in tariffs.
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
    edited June 2016
    I'm asking a simple question and get a load of stuff from Dyson in 2014 and how bad the IMF are. Debate: over. I'll be quiet now. 

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Heartfeltdawn;1106096" said:
    I'll repeat the question: was Dyson right in 1998 when he said we should join the Eurozone? 
    Since then there have been 18 years, things have changed, the EU has changed and people now know things hey didn't know before.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @Heartfeltdawn I'm not keen or rare steak or asparagus but I'll always vote for boobies;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Wis'd Pip :)

The EU in 1998 was a very different place from today's EU. Just look at Greece - still want to remain?

edited June 2016
    I'm not thinking in terms of Remain or Leave. My question isn't about that. If the UK had moved into the Eurozone in 1998 as he called for, how would things have panned out? Would we be a stronger national financially had we done so in 1998? 

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

Why would we want to stay in an organisation that is so fragile, it is constantly going from one crisis to the next? Let's just get out before it collapses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not thinking in terms of Remain or Leave. My question isn't about that. If the UK had moved into the Eurozone in 1998 as he called for, how would things have panned out? Would we be a stronger national financially had we done so in 1998? 
    Bankrupt.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Margot Wallstrom looks a bit like Ellie Goulding eh.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5041
    On the Rte Now website is an article saying that Brexit is ahead by 10%. So bye bye UK
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    See the BBC article.

Brexit - and stay in the single market? Here's how - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36500747

"He argued that "Mittelstand" firms - the medium sized companies that are the engine room of the German economy - would demand that political leaders do a deal to allow goods unfettered access to the UK."

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Rocker said:
    On the Rte Now website is an article saying that Brexit is ahead by 10%. So bye bye UK
    That can't be right, that would be a ridiculously huge swing. I think Leave are ahead right now but polls are notoriously inaccurate, look at the polls for the last UK election. Lets wait to see what happens
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I might take 23/24th June off to go on the piss. Either to celebrate, or commiserate.