EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2622
    edited June 2016 tFB Trader

I have an issue with the way the EU supports and protects big business.
    Then you don't understand that the EU is all about big business, it is what started the EU in the first place and it is still big business that drives the EU, the commission are not sitting there thinking up new directives on how straight a banana should be, they are listening closely to big business lobby groups like the ERT to get direction and using that to shape the way EU economy grows. and if they say they want straight bananas...well we get straight bananas!

Why do you think there was a push to grow the EU so fast by adding countries that have massive differences in standards of living, and still do actually, big business wants to be competitive and needed a cheap labour market, it is also the reason why the EU has granted restoration funds to these countries, so that big business can set up shop and "be competitive" with China/USA etc

Why is there a push for an EU army, because big business make mega money with armies and war, imagine the contracts that will be flung around when they have to purchase kit for a new army. Russia and the likes is just a well timed excuses

Honestly everything that is wrong with the EU now can be traced back to greed/money and the pursuit of power.

If the EU brought a minimum wage to the EU inline with what Germany and the UK have in place, mass migrations would end, quick ascension of countries into the EU would end and all the moaning gits will be happier... but that is never going to happen as it is not what big business want.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited June 2016
    quarky said:
    Actually, it is ironic that "Remain" keep wheeling out people who want the UK to remain, but they don't actually live here themselves. That says something.

Erm, we're talking about Vote Leave trying to wheel out Victoria Beckham, who doesn't live here.

Does that "say something" too?

She does actually - London and a £27 million estate in Stow-on-the-Wold. Her business takes her all over the world though.

EDIT: Victoria is pissed off as she's voting Remain ... :-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/21/david-beckham-announces-he-will-vote-to-stay-in-the-eu/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Honestly everything that is wrong with the Earth now can be traced back to greed/money and the pursuit of power.

fixed
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    In 1975, at the time of our last referendum on Europe, men who left school without any qualifications but who were in full-time work could expect to earn around three-quarters of the median salary. Now, men in that same category can only expect to earn two-thirds of the median. Older men and women without educational qualifications are very likely to vote for Britain to leave the EU – not because they’re stupid or uninformed but because over the past 40 years their relative position within society has worsened.

Clarky said:

Honestly everything that is wrong with the Earth now can be traced back to humans.

fixed
    Fixed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I have an issue with the way the EU supports and protects big business.
    Then you don't understand that the EU is all about big business, it is what started the EU in the first place and it is still big business that drives the EU,

I think I have you know .... ;-)

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Fretwired said:
    Clarky said:

Honestly everything that is wrong with the Earth now can be traced back to humans.

fixed
    Fixed.
    maybe the solution to the EU and all that is wrong with the world is a mass extinction event…
    know anyone with a spare asteroid knocking about??
    play every note as if it were your first
    Clarky said:
    Fretwired said:
    Clarky said:

fixed
    Fixed.
    maybe the solution to the EU and all that is wrong with the world is a mass extinction event…
    know anyone with a spare asteroid knocking about??
    Or a music test .. like King Crimson and Frank Zappa .. those that answer no are banished to some remote corner of the world like the Outback of Austrailia ..

How the papers are recommending people vote .. a win for Remain ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/heres-where-britains-newspapers-stand-on-the-eu-referendum/

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Fretwired;1119612" said:
    I have an issue with the way the EU supports and protects big business. The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) revealed that the the European Court of Justice has forced HMRC to pay back £7.87billion collected in tax from big business and will be forced to pay back a further £7.3billion before 2020. the Treasury looks set to lose ongoing court cases at the European Court of Justice, with another £35.6billion at risk. This is just outrageous but you don't hear Osborne going on about it. £36 billion is half the national deficit.

Taxes declared unlawful include corporation tax on profits distributed by a subsidiary to a parent company and stamp duty serve tax - a levy raised on electronic paperless share transactions.These taxes were approved by the UK parliament. What right has the EU got to influence our tax policy?

I bet Professor Dougan didn't mention that.
    Do you have a reference for that? Interesting. Cheers.
    Use Your Brian
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Um... looks like there might be a compelling argument for remain...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22601

Sadly a hoax. Gove has no need for a public messaging system: he leaves it all to his odious wife. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940

Sadly a hoax. Gove has no need for a public messaging system: he leaves it all to his odious wife. 
    But, a delightful hoax that could get teachers and junior doctors lining up to vote remain :)

Gove back in the government .. I think he and Boris could be shown the door. Cameron has a nasty streak and will probably want to cull the most vocal Leave campaigners while there's a chance to clean up the party before 2020. And one local MP told me that in the event Remain wins Boris is finished - won't be PM.

edited June 2016
    Fretwired;1119612" said:
    I have an issue with the way the EU supports and protects big business. The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) revealed that the the European Court of Justice has forced HMRC to pay back £7.87billion collected in tax from big business and will be forced to pay back a further £7.3billion before 2020. the Treasury looks set to lose ongoing court cases at the European Court of Justice, with another £35.6billion at risk. This is just outrageous but you don't hear Osborne going on about it. £36 billion is half the national deficit.

Taxes declared unlawful include corporation tax on profits distributed by a subsidiary to a parent company and stamp duty serve tax - a levy raised on electronic paperless share transactions.These taxes were approved by the UK parliament. What right has the EU got to influence our tax policy?

Yes - I'll dig it out.

Sunday Times report (let me know if you can't read it)

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1686411.ece

Report in FT:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4c3fcd5a-4287-11e5-9abe-5b335da3a90e.html#axzz4CEkVJHZr

Daily Mail (basically a rehash of the Times/FT article (just in case you can't read the two above due to firewalls)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3532727/UK-taxpayers-face-50bn-bill-EU-judges-overrule-tax-laws-exposing-multinationals-use-EU-courts-claw-taxes.html

• Fretwired said:
    Fretwired;1119612" said:

Yes - I'll dig it out.
    Cool. Was about to ask about that also. Did the ECJ declare that the tax was levied illegally then?

And you're right, the Prof made no mention of it.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29194
    Should we not be applauding anyone who manages to stop the Revenue from pillaging others' hard work?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    If I'm reading the ones of those I can see (without forking out for subscriptions) correctly, then all that's happened is that HMRC have been caught effectively trying to charge businesses tax and/ or VAT twice for the same transaction?

"HMRC had said Lebara should pay two lots of VAT on international calling cards to international distributors – once for the sale of the card and again when the card was activated by the end user."

That's a bit sneaky.

"The ECJ has ruled that the UK levy of 1.5% stamp duty reserve tax on an issue of new shares into a clearance service contravened EU law. HMRC have accepted the ruling and suspended this tax in relation to shares issued into EU clearance services. Companies which have paid SDRT in similar circumstances can now consider making repayment claims.

On 1 October 2009, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruled in favour of HSBC that the imposition by the UK of a 1.5% stamp duty reserve tax (SDRT) charge where securities were issued into a clearance service breached the 1969 Capital Duties Directive (Directive)."

I don't fully understand the SDRT stuff, but a) HMRC have 'fessed up and suspended the tax, and b) 2009? How is that new?

I'm no economist or businessman, but it looks more like HMRC and the Gov't trying it on and being caught with their pants down than an EU plot to control our tax laws.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom