I voted out so blame me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    I voted out so blame me!

and me.

I'm 'brexit' Spartacus.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5030
    Question: the vote result is that the UK leaves the EU. Supposing Scotland leaves the UK and joins the EU. What is the position of the Monarch then in Scotland? Balmoral?

Another question: if Parliament rejects the referendum result what then? Can Parliament legally reject the leave vote?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Rocker;1127943" said:
    Question: the vote result is that the UK leaves the EU. Supposing Scotland leaves the UK and joins the EU. What is the position of the Monarch then in Scotland? Balmoral?

Another question: if Parliament rejects the referendum result what then? Can Parliament legally reject the leave vote?
    The referendum is not binding on the govt so it could choose not to invoke Article50 and stay in the EU. Pretty sure some Tory MPs considering their leadership bid will be also be considering that strategy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22577
    Rocker said:

She'll be replaced by Karen Gillan. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Heartfeltdawn;1127961" said:
    Rocker said:

She'll be replaced by Karen Gillan. 
    Brenda will not be the Head of State of an independent Scotland - they wouldn't want to repeat the problem Canada had when she was still their Head of State.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Rocker said:

Balmoral is personally owned by the Queen. It's a private residence. It was bought by Prince Albert for Queen Victoria. Charles said he may leave it to the Scottish nation when he becomes King.

Once Scotland has split from the EU it can become a republic.

The referendum is not legally binding so Parliament could just reject it - if Junker had half a brain he'd offer something in return for Parliament rejecting the result. The man's a twat and is facing calls to resign for his incompetent handling of the affair.

However, if the referendum is rejected I can see millions on the street and perhaps (MI5 has already warned about this) the rise of a right-wing paramilitary organisation. It's also conceivable that UKIP could see a rise as voters reject the mainstream and vote for Farage and co to kick the Tories and Labour.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29171

*Definitely* sounds like a sensible guy and not a loon. 
    For balance, as I've said this when people have attacked pro-remain experts on the basis of their motivations rather than what they've said, we ought to be considering the content of North's article there, not dismissing him out-of-hand for being a deluded nutjob.

Then I read his article, and it's not even about economics or investment, it's about laughing as the world burns - the latter being his prediction, not mine.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Sporky said:

*Definitely* sounds like a sensible guy and not a loon. 
    For balance, as I've said this when people have attacked pro-remain experts on the basis of their motivations rather than what they've said,
    Not me. I had a go at them based on their poor track record in predicting things in the past from the 2008 crash to the IMF saying he UK economy would tank in 2010. It didn't and they had to eat humble pie.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:

However, if the referendum is rejected I can see millions on the street and perhaps
    As I mentioned in another thread, if the referendum is rejected, I would never cast a vote again.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    edited June 2016
    Fretwired said:

However, if the referendum is rejected I can see millions on the street and perhaps
    As I mentioned in another thread, if the referendum is rejected, I would never cast a vote again.
    The narrative seems to be shifting towards the UK leaving the EU but not the single market, which will mean that the free movement of people will remain unchanged.

So these people who voted for less immigration will be disappointed and Britain will have have no say in the laws and regulation.
    The upside for me is that people who voted against immigration will have nothing to complain about because the question was 'Should Britain leave or remain in the EU' not 'Do you want all the foreigners chucked out or not'.

I'm hoping that whoever is the new PM calls an election before Article 50 is triggered.
    My worry here is that once people realise what is happening then it could result in large swathes of people voting UKIP as a protest against Labour/Tories for not removing the free movement of people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    octatonic said:
    Fretwired said:

The narrative seems to be shifting towards the UK leaving the EU but not the single market, which will mean that the free movement of people will remain unchanged.

So these people who voted for less immigration will be disappointed and Britain will have have no say in the laws and regulation.
    The upside for me is that people who voted against immigration will have nothing to complain about because the question was 'Should Britain leave or remain in the EU' not 'Do you want all the foreigners chucked out or not'.
    There is a distinction that should be made however.

Freedom of movement and free movement of labour are not the same thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I believe the exact term the EU uses is 'freedom of movement for workers' and is a requirement to access the single market.
    Will be interesting to see if it will be possible for Britain to have one without the other.

octatonic said:
    Fretwired said:

The danger here is that many people did vote on the immigration card. How that will reflect in a general election is yet to be seen; however, I suspect it will put a few UKIP MPs into the commons.

• Are a lot of MEPs about to lose their jobs?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Are a lot of MEPs about to lose their jobs?
    Not if they can help it, they'll be doing everything they can to keep a seat on the train.

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524

octatonic said:
    I believe the exact term the EU uses is 'freedom of movement for workers' and is a requirement to access the single market.
    Will be interesting to see if it will be possible for Britain to have one without the other.

What it all boils down to is that we need the single market, they need our market and our ability to contribute significantly to the budget.  The latter two points give us more leverage than most other countries would have in similar circumstances. 

Obviously their starting point was going to be to offer standard EEA terms but they must know that isn't going to wash so I think we'll end up with more than that ultimately.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    siremoon;1128126" said:
    octatonic said:

I believe the exact term the EU uses is 'freedom of movement for workers' and is a requirement to access the single market.Will be interesting to see if it will be possible for Britain to have one without the other.

What it all boils down to is that we need the single market, they need our market and our ability to contribute significantly to the budget.  The latter two points give us more leverage than most other countries would have in similar circumstances. 

Obviously their starting point was going to be to offer standard EEA terms but they must know that isn't going to wash so I think we'll end up with more than that ultimately.
    If its up to Juncker no, if its up to Merkel yes.
    octatonic said:
    Fretwired said:

The danger here is that many people did vote on the immigration card. How that will reflect in a general election is yet to be seen; however, I suspect it will put a few UKIP MPs into the commons.

Yes, this is why I see the timing of the GE as key.
    The sooner it is the easier it will be to halt people who voted out against immigration moving towards UKIP.