Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited February 2015
    This tune again.

Lovely chords, lovely melodies, absolutely lush production with the most beautiful sounding strings... and then this:

"Sometimes at night the darkness and silence weighs on me.
    Peace frightens me, perhaps I fear it most of all.
    I feel it's only a façade, hiding the face of hell.
    I think of what's in store for my children tomorrow.
    "The world will be wonderful", they say, but from whose viewpoint?
    We need to live in a state of suspended animation, like a work of art.
    In a state of enchantment. Detached.
    Detached."

Partly the words and partly the context and delivery, but that bit sends all manner of shivers down my spine.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Some guy in a chatroom linked me to this:

I can just hear teenage kicks running through the verse. Probably just me, i do like it though.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    New Scorpions album (probably gonna be their last)?
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Bucket;523864" said:
    I've just got "The Kindness of Strangers" by Spock's Beard... stupid band name but fuck me, they're good. Why's it taken me this long to check them out? This album is brilliant from start to finish.
    I have Octane, and Brief Nocturns... (Latest album)! Both cracking. Good old Spock! (RIP Leonard Nimoy)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    UFO - Strangers in the night.
  • Fazer4Fazer4 Frets: 0
    edited March 2015
    UFO - Strangers in the night.

One of my all time favourites. The solo on Rock Bottom is just so listenable, and the way it sits against Paul Raymond's keyboards. Truly classic stuff, timeless.

Been listening to a lot of Tracer lately. Seems to me a Telecaster is a slightly unusual choice for a heavy rock band in the classic style, but I like the tone he's getting.

Also starting to hear some of the latest effort from The Hoax in my MP3 mix, and liking it.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16439
    Cacofonix said:

I'll have to have a listen. They've been supporting the Selecter and keep appearing in my facebook newsfeed wearing slightly saucy outfits. Apart from being guitar-bass-drums no idea what they sound like yet!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    Ludovico Einaudi, Rammstein and various old jump blues stuff...

Not necessarily what I'd ever play on guitar, apart from the jump bluesy stuff.  Don't know about you folks, but it depends very much on my mood.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12119
    Buckethead and Physical graffiti remastered
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    Cacofonix said:

I'll have to have a listen. They've been supporting the Selecter and keep appearing in my facebook newsfeed wearing slightly saucy outfits. Apart from being guitar-bass-drums no idea what they sound like yet!
    Great pop punk numbers.  Grungy guitars with pure lyrics.  Refreshing.  It's the selecter feed that put me wise to them.
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    edited March 2015
    double post
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    edited March 2015
    Bellowhead

Got the most recent album 'Revival', which is very good, up there with Hedonism although not as great as Broadside which remains their best.

If you don't like folk music you may want to avoid them, but on the other hand they're not really folky, even though all the music is traditionally-based, if that makes sense. Well worth a listen if you're at all interested.

They're touring in April, but not playing in Scotland, which is slightly annoying!

'Roll The Woodpile Down' from Broadside

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    Gonna go tmesis mad and say this is abso-feckin-lutely ace... I do like a bit of Sleaford Mods

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    I've recently been listening to lots and lots of The Decemberists stuff, but today the postie delivered the most recent (2014) Nickel Creek album A Dotted Line.

here are four of the songs played live

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw them live at the Fleece in Bristol some years back.... Awesome. If you like them you may like these, playing them on my show this week.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Allman Brothers Band - The Fillmore Concerts. Some lovely stuff - Dickey and Duane in full effect.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Today, I splashed out on a sh*tload of new music; well, I say new, some of it has been around for a while, but I never got around to listening to it, and some I've never heard of.

In the first category:

Steve Vai, Passion & Warfare

Danny Gatton, Unfinished Business

Jeff Beck, Live in Tokyo

Ronnie Earl, Just For Today (Language of the Soul is one of my all-time favourites)

Robin Trower, Go My Way (got the usual best of)

In the latter category:

Paul Gilbert, Fuzz Universe

Erik Mongrain, Fates

Phil Keaggy, 220, and Freehand; Acoustic Sketches II

David Grissom, 10,000ft, and Loud Music

What is this funny piece of wood and wires in my hands? Play it, me? No, no idea how to use it!

• The joy that is Rory Gallagher started with 1st album then working my way through.
    A selection of Rory is always on my playlists :)