Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2434

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Gaz Coombes - Matador.

Quite laid back and has some electronic bits. A nice mix of new and familiar Supergrass sounds.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    Neil Young. Since posting my 'So school me on Neil Young' thread, I've bought Harvest, Rust Never Sleeps, Ragged Glory, and Weld. Gradually working my way through them and so far I have to say I'm liking what I'm hearing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Ray Davies and the Kinks. He's got to be one of the country's greatest ever songwriters - from 'inventing distortion' on You Really Got Me, to the beautiful Waterloo Sunset, to the amusing Lola. Impressive stuff.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Audioslave. Show Me How To Live is a fantastic tune. I forgot how good the riff was...
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I've just found this again. It came out when I was about four or five and it's the first song I remember listening to repeatedly. I can see exactly why. It's actually fucking brilliant. It's a shame that pop has gone from this to Justin Bieber in my lifetime.

I don't believe in guilty pleasures, I don't know if you can tell :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Lush's second album "Split"

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Can't stop listening to Open Fire by The Darkness
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    Octahedron;570838" said:
    Can't stop listening to Open Fire by The Darkness
    Me too. It rocks like yer granny! (It's the classic rock She Sells Sanctuary)

The Darkness - Open Fire (Official Audio):
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Therapy?'s new one, Disquiet. I like it.

• Buddy Guy's latest album, "Rhythm and Blues".
    Great double album. Also recommend his previous one, "Living Proof".
    OK, the guitar playing lacks a little refinement, but the songs and the singing pack a mean punch.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    @RocknRollDave loving that track. I didn't know Buddy had anything out, I'm tempted to get it but it would mean owning an album with Kid Rock on it :( And that's not lacking refinement that's...well, quite in tune for a start by Buddy's standards.
    I've seen him live twice, first was just brilliant; second was bloody awful. I have a few albums but I don't think any bear listening to all the way through. He is one of my all time guitar heroes but he's a hard sell.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • @RocknRollDave loving that track. I didn't know Buddy had anything out, I'm tempted to get it but it would mean owning an album with Kid Rock on it :( And that's not lacking refinement that's...well, quite in tune for a start by Buddy's standards.
    I've seen him live twice, first was just brilliant; second was bloody awful. I have a few albums but I don't think any bear listening to all the way through. He is one of my all time guitar heroes but he's a hard sell.
    It's a couple of years old now, that album, but I think it's still his most recent. The Kid Rock one's not so bad (didn't even know it was him!)..it's the Keith Urban one I skip.

Double CD, as the name suggests, the second disc is very much in the Blues camp (the track above come from that second disc), whilst the first is more..I dunno how you'd classify it, there's quite a mix, but more soul/ R&B based, maybe...If anything, the first disc is the better of the two, although the second gives it a good run for its money.

Well worth investigating, IMO.

As I say, Living Proof, his previous one, is cracking too.

And those are the only two of his I have ever bought, never been a "fan" as such, just bought Living proof on a whim, loved it and added Rhythm and Blues to my Xmas list that year :)
    In fact, I remember when I was at Uni, the two lads I shared a house with went to see Buddy live, and absolutely raved about it afterwards. I'm guessing that was around the time of his Damn Right I've Got The Blues album, so ...yeah, gutted I missed that one!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    edited March 2015
    I lost track a few years ago. I think the last one I had was produced by an ex Prince guy ( Jonathan Z or something?), can't even remember what it was called. Some cracking RnB influenced numbers and some epic and very dull ballads. Damn Right has some very good moments but some right old twaddle as well. Id recommend DJ Play My Blues. I think these were originally radio sessions and are recorded live in the studio, Buddy plus brother Phil on guitars and bass and drums ( quick Google says 1981). http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qk84AgudL._SY355_.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited March 2015

I love this cover. PG's take on Roundabout by Yes.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited March 2015
    I just got Mahalia Barnes & The Soul Mates "Ooh Yea: The Betty Davis Songbook" 

Cool. I found that even though it's got Joe Bonamassa stamped on the cover, his playing isn't the highlight of the album. If anything it enhances the songs. And even though it's produced by Kevin Shirley, it doesn't sound like the guitar was recorded under a blanket on a memory foam mattress with the volume control rolled back to 3/4. 

Oh. And she can sing. Got a set of pipes on her eh!!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Oh Jesus.  Wildflowers (Tom Petty) is much better than I remember. Just getting to the end now and Wake Up Time is hitting every spot.
    Beautiful.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5203
    Cold Fell tape arrived in the post.

UK take on the Cascadian black metal thing.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Ryley Walker's new one.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"