Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10591

Alan's always been a keen Lexus driver and would be ideal for the job ...... replace the cool wall with something like (cue crap jingle ) "Alan's tasty transport list" 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Exactly - the whole point of Partridge is he embodies everything that is *wrong* with Clarkson and then removes the wit and humour and you're left with a feckless, self-righteous disaster zone... and you're left with the genius humour of Coogan.

Frankly, its time for Top Gear to be put out to grass. Permanently.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4708
    Jimmy Carr, Alan Partridge and Jonny Vegas. And then put it on after the watershed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Jimmy Carr, Alan Partridge and Jonny Vegas. And then put it on after the watershed.
    I think in one line you have somehow managed to describe a piece of television that I would be even less likely to watch than Pop Idol.  I'm impressed. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    Fuzzdog;562728" said:
    Axe_meister said:

I think in one line you have somehow managed to describe a piece of television that I would be even less likely to watch than Pop Idol.  I'm impressed. :D
    That would be some hideous tv.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4777
    edited March 2015
    Fretwired said:
    impmann said:
    Jesus Christ no. Partridge? Just no.
    Partridge - middle aged gags for old twats. He's as funny as a dose of the clap. No no ... have a wisdom @impmann
    'He's as funny as a dose of the clap' - I'm sure that's an Alan Partridge saying.  You're not a middle aged man from Norfolk by any chance are you?
    ;)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired;562554" said:
    Partridge - middle aged gags for old twats. He's as funny as a dose of the clap. No no ... have a wisdom @impmann
    You do realise he's a character that parodies middle aged, out of touch presenters?
    Yes, of course I do ... there are loads of them in real life. You don't need a parody.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    impmann said:
    Exactly - the whole point of Partridge is he embodies everything that is *wrong* with Clarkson and then removes the wit and humour and you're left with a feckless, self-righteous disaster zone... and you're left with the genius humour of Coogan.

Frankly, its time for Top Gear to be put out to grass. Permanently.

I think you're right .. looks like Clarkson's suing the BBC so no chance of a return ...

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Danny1969 said:

Alan's always been a keen Lexus driver and would be ideal for the job ...... replace the cool wall with something like (cue crap jingle ) "Alan's tasty transport list" 
    He did have a maroon Granada Scorpio in the R4 days and a Rover Vitesse in I'm Alan Partridge so that proves his motoring credentials as far as I'm concerned! 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Read that as "put them on a waterboard" and found the idea agreeable.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22601

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired;562554" said:
    You do realise he's a character that parodies middle aged, out of touch presenters?
    Yes, of course I do ... there are loads of them in real life. You don't need a parody.

There's plenty of shit wannabe rock stars out there yet we had Spinal Tap...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited March 2015
    Fretwired said:
    I think you're right .. looks like Clarkson's suing the BBC so no chance of a return ...
    As well he should. Comparing him to Savile is a seriously low ball.

(inb4 "he's pretty bad but he's no Clarkson", ha bleeding ha, very droll)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    Bucket;563118" said:
    Comparing him to a paedophile is just outrageous.

Whatever level of political correctness causes someone to condemn him - clearly nothing he had done is as morally reprehensible as Savile's actions.

I read an article over the weekend which Clarkson wrote for the Sunday Times about his mother, who died in August of last year. It was a highly affecting piece of journalism - referencing what was in effect the dismantling of his childhood as he went through what was left of her things (she had known she was dying for many months and had had a major clear-out for the benefit of her children). It was imbued with warmth and equal measures of pathos. Not the work of an uncaring man...

It is clear that behind the persona, this loss has affected him deeply. I was not especially close to my own mother - but her loss rendered me an orphan, shortly before my 40th birthday. I didn't expect it would hit me so hard - but it did....

Perhaps the best thing that can happen to Clarkson is that he has time to come to terms with his loss. Being middle-aged does not make these things easier to bear.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10417
    Great post Richard.

Wiz awarded.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    edited March 2015
    I'd happily pay the entire license fee for Radio 4. Its on all day, apart from Gardeners Question Time and if you have an enquiring mind there are absolutely loads of interesting programmes.

Writing this whilst listening to In Our Time which is one of the best series on. Most of the time its about some topic you don't give a stuff about, but Bragg is a very good interrogator.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    A BBC insider says Clarkson's finished and that Stephen Fry is being recommended in some quarters .. God no. Rowan Atkinson could be good .. Blackadder running Top Gear could be entertaining.

The BBC asked the Hamster and Captain Slow to front the last three shows without Clarkson and they said no so I think their time is up as well.

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Bucket;563118" said:
    Comparing him to a paedophile is just outrageous.

Whatever level of political correctness causes someone to condemn him - clearly nothing he had done is as morally reprehensible as Savile's actions.

I read an article over the weekend which Clarkson wrote for the Sunday Times about his mother, who died in August of last year. It was a highly affecting piece of journalism - referencing what was in effect the dismantling of his childhood as he went through what was left of her things (she had known she was dying for many months and had had a major clear-out for the benefit of her children). It was imbued with warmth and equal measures of pathos. Not the work of an uncaring man...

It is clear that behind the persona, this loss has affected him deeply. I was not especially close to my own mother - but her loss rendered me an orphan, shortly before my 40th birthday. I didn't expect it would hit me so hard - but it did....

Perhaps the best thing that can happen to Clarkson is that he has time to come to terms with his loss. Being middle-aged does not make these things easier to bear.
    Nice comment dude. 

I'm sure im not alone in finding myself conflicted over Clarkson. I have watched Top Gear(although not as religiously as some)and enjoyed it. I have found him amusing and entertaining. And yet i disagree profoundly with his politics and find it disagreeable when they creep into the programme. Comparing him to Saville is disgusting really. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. This is essentially a workplace disciplinary matter carried out in public. What that has to do with a despicable criminal like Saville? God knows.  
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    ^ Politics make their way into lots of TV shows.

I'm fairly apolitical - I'm a Tory on financial issues but far more to the left on social issues - so I disagree with Clarkson on some things. But I also disagree with most of the ranting left-wing comics who get lots of airtime.

It seems to me that the left-wing view is always judged morally 'right' - and certainly on things like discrimination it clearly is, while a right-wing view is always deemed as morally 'wrong'. This seems fundamental in the the vilification of Clarkson.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It seems to me that the left-wing view is always judged morally 'right' - and certainly on things like discrimination it clearly is, while a right-wing view is always deemed as morally 'wrong'. This seems fundamental in the the vilification of Clarkson.

I'd agree to an extent. Even things like discrimination they get wrong though. You've heard this guff about power+prejudice=blahblahblah and thus if you don't have power in a situation, you're given a free pass to act like an ignorant racist fucktard.

Yeah... leftism. Sucks.

And Frank said it previously, but I do hate that it is broken across left and right. Because we're not all entirely one thing, and the nuance gets lost when you get it labels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    ^ Politics make their way into lots of TV shows.

I'm fairly apolitical - I'm a Tory on financial issues but far more to the left on social issues - so I disagree with Clarkson on some things. But I also disagree with most of the ranting left-wing comics who get lots of airtime.

The trouble is, the parties themselves tend to reduce everything to convenient soundbites and black/white/either/or . Thats just the nature of trying to represent politics to the widest possible audience. Many of whom simply dont take an interest, which personally i think is crazy. We get block capitals representations of things like economics which are open to massive differences of interpretation i.e spending vs austerity in a recession or the economic value/burden of immigration.  
    Its crap, frankly