General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7290
    I don't mind a few jump puzzles tbh

The HUD looks very quake 1 like too which looks really shitty by todays standards. Need to play a bit longer to make my mind up about the gameplay. On one hand I do like that you need to switch things up a bit to manage your resource but it does seem like they went a bit too far and you run out of ammo way too quickly. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    I don't mind a few jump puzzles tbh

The HUD looks very quake 1 like too which looks really shitty by todays standards. Need to play a bit longer to make my mind up about the gameplay. On one hand I do like that you need to switch things up a bit to manage your resource but it does seem like they went a bit too far and you run out of ammo way too quickly. 
    I agree - I much prefer Doom 2016. Managed to finish Eternal though - it's decent, but there's something very different about it.
  • Wipeout PSVR is fecking amazing nuff said
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Started up Persona 5 again as I started playing it around this time last year, got like two chapters in then quit to get the platinum trophy on Skyrim (man that was a goddamn grind).  I bought Persona 5 Royal earlier last month but it felt weird not having finished the original to go through like a "updated" version so I'm working my way through the original then probably gonna play Royal.  Yes I am weird like that.

Finished FF7R late last week and it was thoroughly enjoyable experience.  Would highly recommend it if you're an RPG fan.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Hadn't touched my PS3 in over 5 years, but happened to be able to borrow my cousin's "spare" PS4 during this period of isolation (I refuse to call it a lockdown, because it isn't).

Lucky for me, they have loads of games purchased, and an account they don't use, so I have access to over 200 games. Most of which I'm never going to play. But I've started with the Uncharted Collection. I loved the first one on PS3 and got side tracked when I first started it, so never actually got round to completing (or starting!) 2 or 3, even though I have them purchased! FFS! 

So I'm working my way through them now. 1 was great and I'm halfway through 2 at the minute, which is even more wonderful so far. Once I've finished the original trilogy, I may move onto the Last of Us so I can complete that before trying to do the sequel. 

I don't play often. 2-3 hour session once or twice a week, but it's nice as a bit of a change. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westfordwestford Frets: 581
    Giving Ancestors: the Humankind Odyssey a go. Bit of a learning curve to it, but it’s quite fun if you like banging rocks together and stuff.
  • Wowzers. Next Gen looks like it's gonna look amazing...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wowzers. Next Gen looks like it's gonna look amazing...

Smoke and mirrors I feel. Graphics are easy to fake - and until we can get genuine 4K at 120hz, it’s all a bit moot really. 

I’ve been burnt constantly in the past by graphics demos for tech and games - and it never ends up as good as they show in the yech demos. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    Vietnam rising storm 2.  Been around a while now .  Bit different to the battlefield and call of duty games(although  I do like them both).

Graphics arent the best but good emphasis on team play and addictive.  
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    I've reinstalled Heroes of Might and Magic V and thoroughly enjoying it! 

Been playing XCOM2 on my xbox during the lockdown as well. Both are bit old now but still enjoyable. 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7290
    FarleyUK said:
    Wowzers. Next Gen looks like it's gonna look amazing...

Smoke and mirrors I feel. Graphics are easy to fake - and until we can get genuine 4K at 120hz, it’s all a bit moot really. 

I’ve been burnt constantly in the past by graphics demos for tech and games - and it never ends up as good as they show in the yech demos. 
    I think it looks pretty badass, the 4k 120hz thing to me is just an iterative thing that will prob get there with hardware improvements.

I think Unreal are looking in some really interesting way focusing on artists. The thought had occurred to me before that making assets easier to make is bound to be a huge success factor. Im playing Doom Eternal right now and the level design in some parts is just ridiculous. Its no wonder AAA titel cost millions to make these days. I assume homebrew levels are basically dead now for major games? 

I do kinda miss the days where you could jsut download worldcraft and bang out some levels of your own that werent a million miles away from the included ones. I assume thats essentially impossible now as the skill level required and time investment must be prohibitive. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244

Been playing XCOM2 on my xbox during the lockdown as well. Both are bit old now but still enjoyable. 

Ha! I was playing Heroes 6 recently, then got extra nostalgic and found the HD remaster of Heroes 3 for £3 so I've been mostly playing that. 

Heroes 5 is much better than 6, seems to have built on all the good bits of 3 but updated it. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    LuttiS said:

Ha! I was playing Heroes 6 recently, then got extra nostalgic and found the HD remaster of Heroes 3 for £3 so I've been mostly playing that. 

Heroes 5 is much better than 6, seems to have built on all the good bits of 3 but updated it. 
    So I hear. 

I've played first three when they were released, then had a break and HOMM5 few years back. I wasnt even aware that there were another two, but quick Internet research would suggest that they're not worth trying. Shame really, but 5 is all I need. HOMM3 is probably one of my favourite games ever. Enjoy!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    edited May 2020
    FarleyUK said:

Couldn't disagree more. I want better physics, AI, lighting, and animation. I don't give a flying shite about 4k or frame rates above 60. I'll leave that to the PC obsessives. 

I want games that feel good to play. The main draw of next gen for me seems to be the way the PS5 has been designed for speed. I got quite sick of watching Lara Croft repeatedly crawl really slowly through gaps which was their way to hide loading times. 

EDIT: Actually I missed my own point. What I really want is storytelling and fun. BOTW is the best game released this decade and noone who has a soul gives a shit that it occasionally drops some frames. And I've spent any hours enjoying the likes of Overcooked and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Mario Kart than I ever will on some generic military FPS that runs really really well.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    Getting back on topic, I finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider and really enjoyed it, apart from the slowly edging through gaps thing. 

God of War next, I think, as I wait for Doom Eternal to get decent a price cut. 

And they just announced a new Paper Mario coming in July - rejoice! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX6DTLcWUdY
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    For me the difference between 60hz and 120 hz is absoloutly noticeable,.. 4k compared to 1440 /2k not so much, q
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Back in Skyrim, about to have my first face off with a dragon. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just finished Control - really enjoyed it. Highly recommended!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704

FarleyUK said:

Couldn't disagree more. I want better physics, AI, lighting, and animation. I don't give a flying shite about 4k or frame rates above 60. I'll leave that to the PC obsessives. 

I want games that feel good to play. The main draw of next gen for me seems to be the way the PS5 has been designed for speed. I got quite sick of watching Lara Croft repeatedly crawl really slowly through gaps which was their way to hide loading times. 

EDIT: Actually I missed my own point. What I really want is storytelling and fun. BOTW is the best game released this decade and noone who has a soul gives a shit that it occasionally drops some frames. And I've spent any hours enjoying the likes of Overcooked and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Mario Kart than I ever will on some generic military FPS that runs really really well.
    I think there are just so many types of gaming.  I really like simulation, racing etc.  I can’t wait to see the next gen of car games or GTA on the next level of consoles.  Mario Kart is great but I’ve no interest in it other than the odd family game, every time I’d go for Project Cars, Forza, BeamNG, Asetto, F1 etc over things like that.  BOTW and Mario are perfect as they are, I appreciate that even though they are not my thing, but the things that are will definitely benefit from the extra power of the next gen of consoles.  Not interested on military FPS’s though!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom