General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    You can landscape it in settings. It does feel a bit weird though compared to the proper pc and console versions. 
    The touch screen control is the biggest problem.  Too much movement needed to change direction and keeps blocking things i want to see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    Barnezy said:
    **WARZONE SQUAD MEMBERS WANTED** 

Seeing if we can pull together a Fretboard WarZone squad. We have 3 currently. The more the merrier. 

DM me if you want to get involved. 
    I might be up for that.

I play on PC - with a controller.

I never play WZ normally - just the other MP options.
    Ah, memories... We need @WYNIR0 and @TimmyO too! I can't remember who else used to play with us back in the Old'n'Rubbish days??
    I was there. Honestly between that and Motorstorm it was the most fun I've ever had playing online. 

I'd gladly join now except my ping is so bad that I literally can't hit people in shooters :(
    Minky used to play sometimes as well. He was truely awful.

The new COD / WZ is quite different to the older ones. It's slower paced with more of an emphasis of having some tactics, sniper rifles can't be used like pistols and so on.

Even the mini map won't show anything unless a UAV is up. Gunfire alone won't show. No need to ruin ADS speed with a heavy silencer.

I like it a lot.
    more like Battlefield then? ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Yeah the new COD does sound good. If it weren't for ping I'd be there but I don't want to spend 70 notes only to find it's buggered on my connection

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25496
    TimmyO said:
    Barnezy said:

Seeing if we can pull together a Fretboard WarZone squad. We have 3 currently. The more the merrier. 

I might be up for that.

Ah, memories... We need @WYNIR0 and @TimmyO too! I can't remember who else used to play with us back in the Old'n'Rubbish days??
    I was there. Honestly between that and Motorstorm it was the most fun I've ever had playing online. 

I'd gladly join now except my ping is so bad that I literally can't hit people in shooters :(

The new COD / WZ is quite different to the older ones. It's slower paced with more of an emphasis of having some tactics, sniper rifles can't be used like pistols and so on.

Even the mini map won't show anything unless a UAV is up. Gunfire alone won't show. No need to ruin ADS speed with a heavy silencer.

I like it a lot.
    I don't think I ever played Battlefield.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• I tried the iOS one, it's portrait and too zoom in compared to the Steam version.  Where i've been playing it so far.

I believe the game originally started on IOS and Android, before being ported to Steam and at least one console.  I know there is talk of it being ported for the Switch, which I think would be a brilliant idea, as to me the Switch is more designed for short bursts of game play, rather than marathon stretches
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Anyone fancy playing tonight? @Heartfeltdawn @FarleyUK @Barnezy etc? 
    edited December 2022
    I tried the iOS one, it's portrait and too zoom in compared to the Steam version.  Where i've been playing it so far.

I believe the game originally started on IOS and Android, before being ported to Steam and at least one console.  I know there is talk of it being ported for the Switch, which I think would be a brilliant idea, as to me the Switch is more designed for short bursts of game play, rather than marathon stretches
    I can see the frame rate drops a bit when it gets intense on the Steam Deck, I think it is beyond the Switch's hardware capabilities without turning into a slide show.  
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    TimmyO said:
    Barnezy said:

I might be up for that.

I like it a lot.
    I don't think I ever played Battlefield.
    it was a callback to me always moaning about COD and how I didn't like it and preferred Battlefield and wanted us to play that instead. 

but those changes genuinely sound less COD more BF 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ah!

Yeah, it's quite a bit slower than the last one and there's a few more modes for both WZ and normal MP.
    Even the weapon upgrades have far more downsides and matching the right parts isn't just a 'max it out' approach. Sticking the longest heaviest barrel on a sniper now creates a really wobbly aim unless prone.

And all the useful optics that you might want to put on a sniper have glint in various sizes. The higher magnification, the bigger the 'scope glint. Forces the player to pick between magnification levels and visibility to the enemy.

• I tried the iOS one, it's portrait and too zoom in compared to the Steam version.  Where i've been playing it so far.

I can see the frame rate drops a bit when it gets intense on the Steam Deck, I think it is beyond the Switch's hardware capabilities without turning into a slide show.  

I don't know, I've been using the Switch a lot recently, and I must say, I've been impressed by not just the graphics - I have the OLED white version, but also the complexity of the games on the thing, it's 1080p native graphics, which is more than what the Xbox 360 or PS3 was, and Nintendo have never been one to be at the forefront of graphics.  Games such as Witcher III, God of War Ragnarok, Assassins Creed are on it, and are all but identical to the versions on the ''big boy'' consoles.  For me the limiting factor of it, is that it seems to console intended for short bursts of game play, so either huge games with lots of save points if not save where ever and when ever you like, games with short levels, or short games.  And there is quite a lot of talk of it actually happening.
    I tried the iOS one, it's portrait and too zoom in compared to the Steam version.  Where i've been playing it so far.

I don't know, I've been using the Switch a lot recently, and I must say, I've been impressed by not just the graphics - I have the OLED white version, but also the complexity of the games on the thing, it's 1080p native graphics, which is more than what the Xbox 360 or PS3 was, and Nintendo have never been one to be at the forefront of graphics.  Games such as Witcher III, God of War Ragnarok, Assassins Creed are on it, and are all but identical to the versions on the ''big boy'' consoles.  For me the limiting factor of it, is that it seems to console intended for short bursts of game play, so either huge games with lots of save points if not save where ever and when ever you like, games with short levels, or short games.  And there is quite a lot of talk of it actually happening.
    I have a Switch too, had it since Day 1.

The chip was a year old when the console came out so it was out of date on release...for pure horsepower, which is what we are talking about when the screen gets busy in Vampire Survivor, i don't think the Switch has the oomph to do it.  It is not about graphics, it's about pure number crunching with a few thousand enemies on screen.

You can drop it to 480p if you like, but it still need to work out what each NPC is doing, all with thousands of projectiles from yourselve, and hitting them.  Give it a go on your phone, it's free to play.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30142
    Lady BMcH has been playing Forager on the XbSX, and that really slows down with a lot on the screen (though nothing like as much as Vampire Survivors has at a time) so I think code efficiency has a lot to do with it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3450
    edited December 2022

The chip was a year old when the console came out so it was out of date on release...for pure horsepower, which is what we are talking about when the screen gets busy in Vampire Survivor, i don't think the Switch has the oomph to do it.  It is not about graphics, it's about pure number crunching with a few thousand enemies on screen.

You can drop it to 480p if you like, but it still need to work out what each NPC is doing, all with thousands of projectiles from yourselve, and hitting them.  Give it a go on your phone, it's free to play.

Just look at the game Dead Rising on the Xbox 360, which is using an even older chip than the Switch and less GPU power, easily tens of thousands of zombies on screen at a time, same with the Left For Dead games, especially the first one.  The Switch is more than comparable to the Xbox 360 and PS3, I'd go so far as to say it's 75% of an Xbox One or PS4.  I'm not claiming to be a hardcore fanatic of a gamer, or into the hardware specs beyond the little more than the basics, but I have had every generation of Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Sega and others - Panasonic, 3DO and so forth, and currently have a PS5, Xbox Series X, and Switch - I've never been a fan of the Steam model or eco system it's what killed PC gaming for me.

Sporky said:
    Lady BMcH has been playing Forager on the XbSX, and that really slows down with a lot on the screen (though nothing like as much as Vampire Survivors has at a time) so I think code efficiency has a lot to do with it. 

Very much this, the first Dead Rising games was on the 360 - the series was an Xbox exclusive back then, and that game easily has tens of thousands of unique zombies on screen at a time, and had no issuers with frame rate, bugs or glitches for that matter, made by Capcom.
  • Anyone fancy playing tonight? @Heartfeltdawn @FarleyUK @Barnezy etc? 

Love to, but ladyprettydamned is having a bad night so it's a ps4-free-night for me. 
  • I started playing Red Dead Online today. Was quite enjoying it until I got hog-tied by some gankers. Quit at that point as I couldn’t be arsed wriggling around trying to escape like an idiot.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2022

Just look at the game Dead Rising on the Xbox 360, which is using an even older chip than the Switch and less GPU power, easily tens of thousands of zombies on screen at a time, same with the Left For Dead games, especially the first one.  The Switch is more than comparable to the Xbox 360 and PS3, I'd go so far as to say it's 75% of an Xbox One or PS4.  I'm not claiming to be a hardcore fanatic of a gamer, or into the hardware specs beyond the little more than the basics, but I have had every generation of Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Sega and others - Panasonic, 3DO and so forth, and currently have a PS5, Xbox Series X, and Switch - I've never been a fan of the Steam model or eco system it's what killed PC gaming for me.

Sporky said:

Very much this, the first Dead Rising games was on the 360 - the series was an Xbox exclusive back then, and that game easily has tens of thousands of unique zombies on screen at a time, and had no issuers with frame rate, bugs or glitches for that matter, made by Capcom.
    I just did a “light” run, meaning I didn’t get a strong build and one of the weapons killed over 5mil enemies, another did 2.07mil and another did 2.02mil.

regardless of what another console can do on a completely different game (lol, sounds obvious when I type it out), try this same game yourself and find out.

I’m just commenting that this game, not another one…duh, starts to struggle on the steam deck and the steam deck is a more powerful machine.

I’m willing to give the switch the benefit of the doubt but based on what I’ve played so far on it with the deck. It gets very hairy in the last 5 mins in a 30min run.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    It's probably just the port right? 
    COD update file is about 25GB on pc.

Now includes the Shipment map, but with the angles of the containers like it was originally. Much better.

• COD update file is about 25GB on pc.

Now includes the Shipment map, but with the angles of the containers like it was originally. Much better.

Are the spawns protected? I remember in ww2 when shipment was laying in spawns spraying lmg at the wall for nukes... 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30142

I’m just commenting that this game, not another one…duh, starts to struggle on the steam deck and the steam deck is a more powerful machine.

I’m willing to give the switch the benefit of the doubt but based on what I’ve played so far on it with the deck. It gets very hairy in the last 5 mins in a 30min run.
    I'm not saying that I think you're wrong, BTW. It'll be interesting to see how well they can do if a Switch version comes out. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."