General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUK said:
    I have to say, I'm really enjoying Halo Infinite. I quite liked previous Halos (apart from 2), but they seemed far too formulaic. Having an 'open World' Halo is just awesome. However, the storyline is utter pish.
    Yes, having the open world is a nice change. It reminds me of some bits of Reach, but with the actual openness that I felt Reach could have had.

I have the same feelings about Halo 2 - I was going through the Master Chief Collection and CE was great, but 2 is just a slog, not helped by the fact that I have to keep going through the same areas a third time as the Arbiter, having gone through them the first time as the Chief, and then a second time as the Chief on the way back out!

I'm particularly happy at the moment as I've found a Scorpion, and who doesn't like roaming the country side in a quad-tracked tank?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I tend to use the Mongoose the most. That way me and five marines can go tearing around the map, taking on the enemy together, and I like the company and their banter. 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7395
    edited December 2021
    Told my step son I'd get him a PS4 for Christmas, not realising there's also a shortage on those. Saw shopto had PS5 bundles so I've ended up panic buying a PS5 with RE Village, Nioh 2, Death Stranding DC and Ghost of Tsushima DC for £605, all of which are too old for him  s (I'm enjoying Ghost of Tsushima though).

I've got PS Plus on my playstation account, and I know I can put my account on his PS5 and he'll be able to download the games from my library. However, if he wanted to play online with his friends would he need his own PS Plus to attach to his own username? Otherwise he'd have to sign out of his name and play his friends under mine?
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    IIRC you need as ps plus for each online player - which in my view is wrong but a result of the way the Sony implement their player/user system on the consoles. As an example we have three PS4's in the house if I want to play online upstairs then my partner can't use my login downstairs to watch disney plus under my ps login on that PS4.  
  • I tend to use the Mongoose the most. That way me and five marines can go tearing around the map, taking on the enemy together, and I like the company and their banter. 
    5 on a Mongoose? That's the quad bike, isn't it?
  • The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    Told my step son I'd get him a PS4 for Christmas, not realising there's also a shortage on those. Saw shopto had PS5 bundles so I've ended up panic buying a PS5 with RE Village, Nioh 2, Death Stranding DC and Ghost of Tsushima DC for £605, all of which are too old for him  s (I'm enjoying Ghost of Tsushima though).

I've got PS Plus on my playstation account, and I know I can put my account on his PS5 and he'll be able to download the games from my library. However, if he wanted to play online with his friends would he need his own PS Plus to attach to his own username? Otherwise he'd have to sign out of his name and play his friends under mine?
    Okay I’m not too good at explaining but this is how it’s done…

shared console set to your primary, that means any user on there can use your stuff under there account including your PsPlus and they will have there own saves etc…

on the console only you use set it to secondary, that means only you can use your stuff on that console.
    You're right. Got the name wrong. I meant the Razorback. 

• Sadly no interest in halo for me. 

I recently played nier automata. It is absolutely brilliant, and I would recommend any fan of action games give it a go. 
  • I am surprised you like Nier automata @ThePrettyDamned I found it quite boring after getting through 2 or 3 levels and a bit of a slog.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I am surprised you like Nier automata @ThePrettyDamned I found it quite boring after getting through 2 or 3 levels and a bit of a slog.

I don't want to spoil anything, but I felt exactly the same way. Sticking with it reveals a really well crafted story, lots of ethics, philosophy and the ending genuinely blew me away in a way a game hasn't done since silent hill or metal gear solid. Really inventive.

But yes, early game was... Fine, I guess? I found the difficulty weird. Normal was easy, giving the impression of a slog, while hard was incredibly difficult - I watched some youtubers playing and it has a great combat system but I feel there is a difficulty missing.

It was worth it for the story though. If you're not going to play, I would recommend watching a spoiler review - I saw a recent neverknowsbest one, which was a bit slow paced but very good if you want to see what the fuss is about but have no interest in playing! 

I don't want to spoil anything, but I felt exactly the same way. Sticking with it reveals a really well crafted story, lots of ethics, philosophy and the ending genuinely blew me away in a way a game hasn't done since silent hill or metal gear solid. Really inventive.

But yes, early game was... Fine, I guess? I found the difficulty weird. Normal was easy, giving the impression of a slog, while hard was incredibly difficult - I watched some youtubers playing and it has a great combat system but I feel there is a difficulty missing.

It was worth it for the story though. If you're not going to play, I would recommend watching a spoiler review - I saw a recent neverknowsbest one, which was a bit slow paced but very good if you want to see what the fuss is about but have no interest in playing! 
    I saw the reviews etc and I wondered how this masterpiece had let me down.
    Maybe I will dust it off and try again.
    I thought it started really well but I started to lose the will a bit running round the knackered city into the northern desert region
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10361
    I tried it for quite a while and it just wasn’t for me. 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7503
    edited December 2021
    I am surprised you like Nier automata @ThePrettyDamned I found it quite boring after getting through 2 or 3 levels and a bit of a slog.

I saw the reviews etc and I wondered how this masterpiece had let me down.
    Maybe I will dust it off and try again.
    I thought it started really well but I started to lose the will a bit running round the knackered city into the northern desert region

For what it's worth the puts you about half way through the first... 3rd? Maybe? Of the game. 

The second third is where it gets interesting, but gameplay suffers. 

The last third is when it pays off. If that sounds like too long (I think I played it for about 70 hours?!) I would set aside an hour or two for a review to spoil the story, as it's one of those things that reminds me that games can be so much more interesting than micro-transactions, never ending sequels and reboots and that new mechanics are always out there.
  • Oh, and I will never play it again. So if you do think you might stick it out, don't spoil it - it's basically the main reason to play it. The actual gameplay isn't really what you're there for! 
    That's sort of a shame, I was looking forward to seeing how five marines were going to arrange themselves on a quad bike! One on each wheel arch, the fifth on the handlebars!

I've not seen a razorback yet, I'll keep an eye out.
    That's sort of a shame, I was looking forward to seeing how five marines were going to arrange themselves on a quad bike! One on each wheel arch, the fifth on the handlebars!

I've not seen a razorback yet, I'll keep an eye out.
    It's essentially a long wheel base Warthog with space for four marines instead of a gun. Which means the vehicle can fit six; you and five marines. 

So Halo Infinite is basically Far Cry with Master Chief? :lol: 
  • No, it's nowhere near as horribly busy as Far Cry. It's much more streamlined. 

It feels the most like the original Halo for a long time. 

I’m playing it. The whole running around attacking bases reminds me a lot of Far Cry. I’m enjoying it still.