General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    edited December 2021
    Step son opened his surprise ps5, hugged me and cried so that was really nice. Got to end of the day and we asked what he'd been playing, and he said he hadn't played any games he'd just been using it to watch YouTube hahaha.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3097
    Just finished Halo Infinite campaign. Loved it, much darker tone this time around but great. Gameplay really reminded me of Doom with regards to how chaotic the battles got. 

Wasn’t sure on the open world aspect of it but I think it’s a nice change.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746

Anybody tried Cloud Gaming?

I've been really impressed by the Xbox Cloud service and also quite frustrated.

I was playing Wreckfest recently.  Much better that the Xbox One version, it has all the ray tracing of the series machines and has a much better frame rate.  It was fine for a while, hardly any lag or dropped frames then it took a nose dive to being unplayable.  This was with a decent ethernet connection and wired controller so it was likely the MS server side.

Encouraging though, when it works it looks great, but it can quickly become frustrating.  At first I was thinking who needs dedicated hardware then I realised we are not there yet.  Still, it's a quick way to trial a game without downloading it for ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    It's a good way to test drive a game without waiting ages.  Bearing in mind the frame rate or any potential lag problems.
    It's a good way to test drive a game without waiting ages.  Bearing in mind the frame rate or any potential lag problems.
    The frame rate kills the Xbox one.  When it's good I think it can get to 60fps.  Xbox One is about 20fps.
    Lag is not a big issue - if the service is working well.

If I had a Series X I'd only use it to try the games, but until I get one it's a happy medium. 
  • I really fancied playing a metroidvania so I'm just about to finish bloodborne.

Well, "finish" - I intend on doing some different runs, and spending time in the chalice dungeons, which I've never done before. I've just about finished a strength run, so I might try a bloodtinge next, or maybe an arcane glass cannon. 

It's definitely one of the best games I've played. The story and atmosphere are so good. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    I really fancied playing a metroidvania so I'm just about to finish bloodborne.

Well, "finish" - I intend on doing some different runs, and spending time in the chalice dungeons, which I've never done before. I've just about finished a strength run, so I might try a bloodtinge next, or maybe an arcane glass cannon. 

It's definitely one of the best games I've played. The story and atmosphere are so good. 
    Too hard. Way too hard. 
  • I really fancied playing a metroidvania so I'm just about to finish bloodborne.

Too hard. Way too hard. 
    Really? I actually find it quite a bit easier than dark souls or bloodstained. 

It is never unfair either. I don't think I've died a single cheap death - dark souls definitely has a couple of pretty troll moments, but bloodborne is just flawless. The entire first section including the first mandatory boss is a wonderful tutorial.

It also has a great sound track, probably my favourite of the soulsborne series.

I must play sekiro at some point, but it's hard when I already have bloodborne! I need the dlc as well... 

Too hard. Way too hard. 

It is never unfair either. I don't think I've died a single cheap death - dark souls definitely has a couple of pretty troll moments, but bloodborne is just flawless. The entire first section including the first mandatory boss is a wonderful tutorial.

It also has a great sound track, probably my favourite of the soulsborne series.

I must play sekiro at some point, but it's hard when I already have bloodborne! I need the dlc as well... 
    Dark Souls is even bloody harder. :lol: 

I love the look of Elden Ring but I’m convinced it’s gonna be Bloodbourne hard, so I think I’m gonna pass on it. 

I died like a million times at those dogs near the beginning on the bridge in Bloodbourne. I just can’t do it, nor can my friends. I got further in Sekiro but I still got to a point where it had me screaming in frustration. 

Too hard. Way too hard. 

I love the look of Elden Ring but I’m convinced it’s gonna be Bloodbourne hard, so I think I’m gonna pass on it. 

I died like a million times at those dogs near the beginning on the bridge in Bloodbourne. I just can’t do it, nor can my friends. I got further in Sekiro but I still got to a point where it had me screaming in frustration. 
    Ahhh those dogs...

Run away from them ;) that's the lesson they are there to teach you - you don't have to fight. Later you can kill them easily.

I am excited for elden ring. But don't have a ps5 and won't until at least next year probably. It looks great, though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Too hard. Way too hard. 

Ahhh those dogs...

Run away from them ;) that's the lesson they are there to teach you - you don't have to fight. Later you can kill them easily.

I am excited for elden ring. But don't have a ps5 and won't until at least next year probably. It looks great, though. 
    That’s okay, it’s on PS4 too. 

Wait. You’re meant to run from the dogs?

Too hard. Way too hard. 

Ahhh those dogs...

That’s okay, it’s on PS4 too. 

Wait. You’re meant to run from the dogs?
    Run from anything you can't fight - there will be something else further along instead. 

I run from them. They are fine on their own, but fight as a pair. Obviously if you have an upgraded weapon or level up a bit they're fine, but the point of them being there (I think) is to show you don't have to fight everything. 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 146

I was playing Wreckfest recently.  Much better that the Xbox One version, it has all the ray tracing of the series machines and has a much better frame rate.  It was fine for a while, hardly any lag or dropped frames then it took a nose dive to being unplayable.  This was with a decent ethernet connection and wired controller so it was likely the MS server side.

Encouraging though, when it works it looks great, but it can quickly become frustrating.  At first I was thinking who needs dedicated hardware then I realised we are not there yet.  Still, it's a quick way to trial a game without downloading it for ages.
    Sunday mornings are good for playing on Xbox Cloud! I have tried it at other times and it is hit and miss. Plus I think it is locked to 1080p (probably a good thing given current performance). I got a Series X a few weeks ago and Game Pass is brilliant, anything I want to play through I will download to get the best quality.

Currently playing Forza Horizon 5 and Gears 5, both look stunning and have been great fun to play. Just finished It Takes Two with my son and would thoroughly recommend to anyone looking for some couch co-op platform puzzle goodness. Looking for something similar to play so any suggestions will be most welcome.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    edited January 2022
    I don't like the Dark Souls type stuff or anything that's "difficult as the core gameplay mechanic". I just can't be bothered - games are supposed to be fun. 

I tried PS Now streaming but they don't have any servers near enough to us our here so my ping is about 150ms - they literally won't let me play via streaming. I basically don't bother with anything online any more. It doesn't help that I'm old and busy so don't have time to get good enough to compete with 14 year olds anyway. 

I did pick up RE:Village in the Jan sale. Good fun so far - I just got out of the castle (I assume I'm going back there later but not sure). Not really scary, just hilarious with its hammy camp - a good cross between 2 and 4 in vibe I'd say. 

We've been playing It Takes Two a bit in the evenings. Need to get back into it as it's clearly great. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    I got to Father whatshisface in Bloodborne, but I had to summon someone to help me beat him and then I couldn't take any more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    IMC1980 said:

Sunday mornings are good for playing on Xbox Cloud! I have tried it at other times and it is hit and miss. Plus I think it is locked to 1080p (probably a good thing given current performance). I got a Series X a few weeks ago and Game Pass is brilliant, anything I want to play through I will download to get the best quality.

Yeah 1080p, but I only have the original One so that's no issue.

I'll get a Series X and S at some point (S in the kitchen for quick gaming and X int he lounge for longer sessions).

I noticed the same on Sunday, thought I didn't even need any new hardware until Sunday afternoon when it all went wrong.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    I don't like the Dark Souls type stuff or anything that's "difficult as the core gameplay mechanic". I just can't be bothered - games are supposed to be fun. 

Agreed.
    I don't want to feel like I have to commit to a game, like I would learning an instrument.

I think the best games, especially more open world type things have multiple layers, so that you can switch it on a tailor the way you play depending on how much time you have.  The GTA and Read Dead games are a good example, switch on and do a quick side mission or continue with the plot.  Forza Horizon is like that also, quick race or get deep into it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958

I think the best games, especially more open world type things have multiple layers, so that you can switch it on a tailor the way you play depending on how much time you have.  The GTA and Read Dead games are a good example, switch on and do a quick side mission or continue with the plot.  Forza Horizon is like that also, quick race or get deep into it.
    Destiny is like that too.
    I like being able to dip in and out- I have friends who are obsessed by it and basically live the game.
    It is good to be able to choose.
    Yea but Destiny is very, very repetitive isn't it. It had the ability to be so much more in my opinion.