General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7345
    Haha I can't have got to that bit. No that's not okay. 

For Skyrim type games I think it depends on the kid. If you've got a hyperactive naughty little shit then no its not going to help things.
    He's currently sat reading the rules to Dungeons and Dragons though, talking about setting up a game with my wife's friends. Yeah its got violence but I think he's capable of seeing it's in a medieval fantasy world and just a story. 
    This is where you tell me there's a bukkake party in the castle courtyard...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The ones where it's regular humans I think I'll say no. Like the Last of Us type things would be a no way, because I think that's realistic/scary and would be disturbing. 
    Diablo 3 is also an 18 though, and that's just holding square to get fantasy enemies away while you look for swords in chests.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10255
    For me it’s not just the gameplay it’s the in your face imagery. D&D is a bit different as it’s all imagined. 

In GTA you can pick hookers up from the get go. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Wait!….

those women are prostitutes?

I thought they were collecting for charity!… 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Wait!….

They weren’t nuns. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    poopot said:
    Wait!….

They weren’t nuns. 
    Well in that case I’ll stop the five year old playing it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I remember I used to get them in the car in GTA 3 and the car would just rock a bit and then the woman would get out. Not sure I understood what was happening to be honest. It's that remastered one that came out a bit ago so I'm gonna get my wife to explain it to me.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27123
    I don't think I'd want a kid playing the rebooted Tomb Raiders - they're pretty gnarly in places, especially the opening of the first one. The older ones are fine - far less graphic. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Finished bloodborne yesterday and got an ending I've never had before, which is super cool!

I've had three now - a Google suggests that's all of them. 

So I've started a new game going for a bloodtinge/skill gun build and want to clear the chalice dungeons, which I've never done.

@telemaster the cum dungeon is a dungeon seed that basically gives you loads of blood for free - cummmmfpk - I've not used it, but I've seen streamers test it. It seems there must be a big nasty enemy in their that spawns and instantly dies somewhere!

So... I'm going to get the dlc because I don't have that yet. I'm also going to get hades when it's next on sale because I've heard lots of good things. 
  • Same. I have the parental controls on my kids devices set to their actual age. However I am pragmatic and will whitelist games based on my own experience of them. For example I've let my 14yo play Halo and Uncharted. But definitely no GTA. 

• Same. I have the parental controls on my kids devices set to their actual age. However I am pragmatic and will whitelist games based on my own experience of them. For example I've let my 14yo play Halo and Uncharted. But definitely no GTA. 

I know my brother in law has friends (10 years old) who play call of duty and GTA V.

Call of duty type games are the worst (I put fortnite in that category, if they play to win) - kids that young simply don't know how to control emotions like disappointment, and frankly they suck at the games because they can't think strategically - so they get owned, yelled at online but think it's all normal, and so copy it and scream at the TV and throw tantrums.

It's especially not helped when their favourite YouTubers, who mark videos family friendly, throw exaggerated reactions at everything they can "OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED DID YOU SEE THAT HIT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE IF YOU SAW ME MAKE THAT JUMP OH MY GOSH"... 
    Peer pressure is a really difficult thing to combat as a parent but you just have to say no. 

Another issue is if you accidentally introduce something to your kids at an age that’s too young they become accustomed to that thing and they then get bored of the thing that’s too old for them at a young age and want even older things. 

My son is 5 and he’s seen Harry Potter and he’s probably slightly young for that. But now he wants to watch them all and they’re not all suitable for him. And like @ThePrettyDamned said, they may not have the ability to process, to understand what it is they’re watching if they watch things that are too old for them. This leads to certain behaviours and responses to particular situations. Anger, distorted understanding of relationships in young boys and girls etc.

Ultimately, it’s the parents decision. The biggest crime is letting them play CoD, which sucks!
    Finished bloodborne yesterday and got an ending I've never had before, which is super cool!

So I've started a new game going for a bloodtinge/skill gun build and want to clear the chalice dungeons, which I've never done.

@telemaster the cum dungeon is a dungeon seed that basically gives you loads of blood for free - cummmmfpk - I've not used it, but I've seen streamers test it. It seems there must be a big nasty enemy in their that spawns and instantly dies somewhere!

So... I'm going to get the dlc because I don't have that yet. I'm also going to get hades when it's next on sale because I've heard lots of good things. 
    Well last night I played quite a bit and I ended up getting killed about 20 times. But I got enough blood to get upgraded armour, some molotovs and repair my weapon. I then ran past the mobs and there’s a mini boss in the courtyard where the birds start, I ignored that and went down where the dogs in cages are as I’ve never seen that, and then I got into some warehouse, walked across the beams and then there was some crazy, skittish guy in a hat talking about my crimes, who I couldn’t damage and he done me in a few hits. So next time I’m gonna go past the two big werewolves on the bridge and see what’s up there. 

I know my brother in law has friends (10 years old) who play call of duty and GTA V.

Call of duty type games are the worst (I put fortnite in that category, if they play to win) - kids that young simply don't know how to control emotions like disappointment, and frankly they suck at the games because they can't think strategically - so they get owned, yelled at online but think it's all normal, and so copy it and scream at the TV and throw tantrums.

It's especially not helped when their favourite YouTubers, who mark videos family friendly, throw exaggerated reactions at everything they can "OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED DID YOU SEE THAT HIT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE IF YOU SAW ME MAKE THAT JUMP OH MY GOSH"... 
    Yes definitely don't allow CoD. It's not just the games themselves - which often have awful right-wing politics - but the community and its aggressiveness.

I'm no anti-game prude, I've played games all my life and actually worked in the games industry for over a decade. It's actually that experience that has led me to being more protective of my kids.

So as I say, my baseline is setting their actual age. But I will allow some games on a case by case basis. For example I'll let my 12yo (and I did when he was a little younger) play Star Wars Battlefront as the content is no different from the movies. 

We're likely a lot stricter than some families. Though as I say to my wife, due to my past career we have more games stuff in the house than most of my kids friends could dream off. So they've often had access to devices and games that their friends have not.

Yes definitely don't allow CoD. It's not just the games themselves - which often have awful right-wing politics - but the community and its aggressiveness.

I'm no anti-game prude, I've played games all my life and actually worked in the games industry for over a decade. It's actually that experience that has led me to being more protective of my kids.

So as I say, my baseline is setting their actual age. But I will allow some games on a case by case basis. For example I'll let my 12yo (and I did when he was a little younger) play Star Wars Battlefront as the content is no different from the movies. 

We're likely a lot stricter than some families. Though as I say to my wife, due to my past career we have more games stuff in the house than most of my kids friends could dream off. So they've often had access to devices and games that their friends have not.

Games like COD are very addictive too. Combine addictiveness with competitiveness against adults who, like me, have played them since they were 15 years old or so and therefore good, and you get kids who are angry and frustrated because they know a game is popular, therefore good, but can't enjoy it and don't understand it.

Finished bloodborne yesterday and got an ending I've never had before, which is super cool!

Well last night I played quite a bit and I ended up getting killed about 20 times. But I got enough blood to get upgraded armour, some molotovs and repair my weapon. I then ran past the mobs and there’s a mini boss in the courtyard where the birds start, I ignored that and went down where the dogs in cages are as I’ve never seen that, and then I got into some warehouse, walked across the beams and then there was some crazy, skittish guy in a hat talking about my crimes, who I couldn’t damage and he done me in a few hits. So next time I’m gonna go past the two big werewolves on the bridge and see what’s up there. 

Skittish guy in a hat? 

So, like, you know when I said I experience new things every time? I have no idea what you're on about with that. I know Eileen the Crow, who wears a wooden crow mask - but she's not skittish, although if you attack her she'll probably kill you quick.

The boss on the bridge isn't too hard. You've got insight now - go back to the hunters dream and you'll be able to pick up a reckoning bell. With that, go back, ring it and wait on the bridge. You'll get help for the boss I'm sure. If not, continue onwards to the next boss - that's a popular one and you'll definitely get help there.

If no one comes, your insight isn't consumed and you've nothing to worry about. 

Oh, one more tip - repair weapon, yes, but don't forget to upgrade it. A +2 or +3 weapon does a fair bit more damage. Don't worry about upgrading your gun - so far, gun build is much harder than a more normal strength or skill build. 
    edited January 2022
    @ThePrettyDamned Do I have Insight? How do I know? lol I haven’t fought the Cleric Beast yet. 

I think it was Eileen the Crow actually. 
  • @ThePrettyDamned Do I have Insight? How do I know? lol I haven’t fought the Cleric Beast yet. 

I think it was Eileen the Crow actually. 

"A hoonter must hoont".

Top right of screen - there is a little eye icon. When you have a 1 next to it, you can start levelling up.

To get insight, you need to do one of two things - fight a boss (you don't need to win) or find a madmans skull and use it. 

The context for this will be made apparent later, but for now - just got out there and kill some beasts :) it'll all start to make sense.
  • All this Bloodborne talk is making me want to play again. So that's exactly what I'm gonna do. Best game. 
    I remember why I stopped playing, there was a woman in a crow mask and I thought it was an enemy so I hit her. Then she went absolutely apeshit and killed me, and I found out its an NPC and she'll just carry on trying to kill me now. I just thought fuck this game haha.
    DefaultM said:
    I remember why I stopped playing, there was a woman in a crow mask and I thought it was an enemy so I hit her. Then she went absolutely apeshit and killed me, and I found out its an NPC and she'll just carry on trying to kill me now. I just thought fuck this game haha.
    No don’t tell me that.