General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• EllEll Frets: 53
    Ell said:
    Uh oh. This is a dangerous off topic thread, Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 4, Snowrunner, Tww2 (3 is out soon, fuck yeah) Resident evil 2 hd remake since original 2 haunted my childhood sleep thanks to my aunt, and every tomb raider since ever. Other than angel of darkness.

All on PC, because, well, 1 PC beats a new console every few years. 
    PC ftw, fallout 4 is still an amazing game especially with mods, I have about 7 hours  in  cyberpunk but I didn't find it that engaging, howevr for me dayz is where its at for survival, I currently have 1030 hours in D 
    Cyberpunk felt a little linear and poor in terms of customization at release but the modding community is fixing that, slowly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Now I want to play it again. 

Do it! 

Early game tips I wish I knew the first time I played dark souls! 

- aggression is rewarded (bloodborne only, dark souls is much more defensive). If you keep your distance, your enemies will close in, fast. Get them first and dodge around them. 

- there are no cheap deaths. If you die, it's because you messed up. 

- pebbles are good. Chuck them to lure enemies away from groups to pick them off. 

- dogs can be knocked down by your gun. 

- big and slow means go for stagger with your gun. 
    - there is no punishment for death - there is a big fatty early on that you can practise your timings on for staggers. He'll kill you a bunch, then you'll get it. 

- you don't have to kill everything. Some enemies are a bit stronger and it's better to run away.

- spend your blood echoes. Level up, buy healing items and pebbles. Running around with 50k echoes isn't useful. 

- bosses all have weaknesses. Don't be afraid to ring for help if you are struggling, there are loads of people still playing and co-op makes most bosses trivial. 

- explore! Tons of stuff to find. I find something new everytime I play it. 

- play online and ring that bell for co-op. It's fun, and you'll make progress really fast. You'll often get out of a rut this way. 

Once you have the "knack" it isn't that hard mostly, it just takes learning enemy strategies. 
    Hmm okay. Let's give it another go. I was watching Elden Ring game play and they were talking about the enemies, don't do this one yet, come back later etc. I guess as someone who never played any Souls games I thought that as a linear game, you should take on a boss as you come to them. And also, that I needed to clear the area again each time I died, so I got frustrated with it and found it very difficult. 

But I'm gathering that this isn't really the way to play this game. If you can't do a boss and you can move on, move on? And if you die don't bother with clearing everything each time right?

It's not a linear game - it's a castlevania or metroidvania in 3D. It's a sprawling world with loads of missable stuff. There are only about 4 or 5 mandatory bosses - speed runs are hilarious, because they make you realise how short the "game" is - but it's a huge world with loads of detail.

Much better than most (any?) "open world" game. Which is why I'm so excited for elden ring - I just hope it is a detailed world, rather than a typical far cry type world with lots of empty copy-paste stuff. 

Definitely don't worry about clearing everything. It's good to play and have fun, but if something is relentlessly kicking your arse, it's fine to run past it - the next enemies might not. 

There are early game enemies that can kill a high level, end-game character if they run in and get stun locked. Grinding for levels helps a little bit, but it won't fix approaching a problem the wrong way. 

I found a boss yesterday I've never found before - how nuts is that?! Literally never saw it before! Didn't even know it existed.

If you fancy a bit of co-op on here, you can set a password in the settings. That way, you can ring the beckoning bell (which lets others join you) then it'll only let people in with the same password - a nice way of playing with friends. I have none (seriously, none of my friends play games!) so I don't worry, but sometimes you'll get someone who knows the game a bit too well - they'll just absolutely wreck everything and kill the boss before you know what's happening. 

I really fancy playing loop hero but I think I might just play bloodborne until I've got elden ring. 
  • @TeleMaster when all else fails, so long as you've beaten a few bosses, you can always use...

The cum dungeon. 

I wish I was joking. But I don't think you got far enough for the chalice dungeons yet. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    @TeleMaster when all else fails, so long as you've beaten a few bosses, you can always use...

The cum dungeon. 

I wish I was joking. But I don't think you got far enough for the chalice dungeons yet. 
    I'm not googling that. 

I'm downloading it as we speak. I'm gonna start from the beginningish, after he awakens and go from there. Let's see how we go. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Ell said:
    Ell said:
    Uh oh. This is a dangerous off topic thread, Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 4, Snowrunner, Tww2 (3 is out soon, fuck yeah) Resident evil 2 hd remake since original 2 haunted my childhood sleep thanks to my aunt, and every tomb raider since ever. Other than angel of darkness.

All on PC, because, well, 1 PC beats a new console every few years. 
    PC ftw, fallout 4 is still an amazing game especially with mods, I have about 7 hours  in  cyberpunk but I didn't find it that engaging, howevr for me dayz is where its at for survival, I currently have 1030 hours in D 
    Cyberpunk felt a little linear and poor in terms of customization at release but the modding community is fixing that, slowly
    Veeeeeeeeeery sloooooooowwwwwly 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    I enjoyed the first couple of hours of Cyberpunk, but there was literally no incentive for the character to do anything after that. Extremely poor storytelling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I enjoyed the first couple of hours of Cyberpunk, but there was literally no incentive for the character to do anything after that. Extremely poor storytelling. 
    For me it just felt super depressing in places and like all your choices post prologue didn't really count for shit.

As someone who has depression and anxiety anyway it was kinda ass in that regard, however as someone who mods games / takes artistic screenshots and will spend hours in character customization making themed characters, it was pretty cool.

Setting awesome, story, pants, variation off the rail road of it? Also pants. 
    Ell said:
    For me it just felt super depressing in places and like all your choices post prologue didn't really count for shit.

As someone who has depression and anxiety anyway it was kinda ass in that regard, however as someone who mods games / takes artistic screenshots and will spend hours in character customization making themed characters, it was pretty cool.

Setting awesome, story, pants, variation off the rail road of it? Also pants. 
    I agree. It could have been so good but they blew any chance of character development after the first two hours. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'll be honest, that's the reason I still duck back to the old Bethesda games as there's good content for them made by fans, there's still stuff being pushed out for fallout 4 that's a better level than the original game ever was. It's mental.

I think my fave current games are all re releases of old ones, or, the Total war warhammer franchise. 
  • Battlefield 2042, there is currently a mode where you have a phase where you can run but not shoot, then a phase where you can shoot but not run, then rinse and repeat, first to 15 kills.

it’s bloody genius.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2448
    beed84 said:
    Has anyone escaped Hades yet? 
    Yes, you need to keep doing it, gift and talk to lots of NPC.
    Well I’ve done 60+ attempts and collected a ton of stuff – I’m a lot stronger. The furthest I’ve got is challenging Hades himself but he’s beat me both times. Bloody great game though, even when you lose. I honestly can’t remember a game this playable.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    edited January 2022
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    Has anyone escaped Hades yet? 
    Yes, you need to keep doing it, gift and talk to lots of NPC.
    Well I’ve done 60+ attempts and collected a ton of stuff – I’m a lot stronger. The furthest I’ve got is challenging Hades himself but he’s beat me both times. Bloody great game though, even when you lose. I honestly can’t remember a game this playable.
    I forget how many attempts but I find some weapons better than others.  It also took me ages before I realise you can upgrade the weapons too.  The spear is the one I finished it first.  You actually have to beat Hades himself multiple (like 10+) to get the real ending.  The bow and arrow is the hardest to do IMO at a base level.  The glove with the magnetic upgrade makes it ridiculously fun.

Even now I still go back to try different weapons just for the kick of it. 
    I find the shield the easiest weapon to use. Block and projectiles suit me the best. I have yet to beat Hades. It's almost the perfect game. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    Sons started playing Skyrim. He comes downstairs and says "I'm a Kahjit, that means I can eat raw meat to recover health without getting ill. Do you know how I learned that? I read one of those things that comes up on the screen and tells you things!".
    Seems to have had a revelation that maybe you should read text in games and not just press circle all the way through it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    Sons started playing Skyrim. He comes downstairs and says "I'm a Kahjit, that means I can eat raw meat to recover health without getting ill. Do you know how I learned that? I read one of those things that comes up on the screen and tells you things!".
    Seems to have had a revelation that maybe you should read text in games and not just press circle all the way through it.
    Tell him he does more unarmed damage cos he's got claws. Really blow his mind xD
    My wife's found out he's been watching his friend play Hitman 3 using some playstation function and started saying she's not comfortable with it because of all the contractual murder.
    I said you recommended he play Tomb Raider and that's got murder in it, and she seems to just be doing it cos she fancies getting to some shiny artefacts before they do. She said that's what he already said to her haha.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've been saying I don't mind because I was playing Grand Theft Auto at age 10 so I'd feel a hypocrite. However I've started thinking that when I played games like that it was basically just little blobs on a screen and 'death' was just one of the blobs turning red. Now it's very realistic, like in Ghost of Tsushima I slashed a guy with the sword and he started screaming through gurgling blood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    How old is he? You can turn the share play function stuff off. You might as well look at all the parental controls settings on the console too. 
    He's 10, almost 11. I had visions of a massive bill for DLC etc so it's all locked down to the point where if he wants something he needs to come and get me to do it. 
    He's played Tomb Raider and Skyrim so far which I don't have a problem with. All the other stuff has been like Sackboy, Crash 4 and Unravel. 
    He's inevitably gonna ask to play GTA V though, and I'm not sure because I think it will have more adult themes.
    Even then though, we watch The Simpsons with both him and 5 year old daughter and some of the new episodes I'll be sat thinking this is pretty rude, does he understand this? They're always talking about doing drugs as well.
    edited January 2022
    I'm not judging or anything, you do you. But I wouldn't be letting my son play Tomb Raider and Skyrim at the age of 10 to be honest. GTA would be out of the question. Explicit sex scenes with prostitutes that you then can then murder? Gang violence, drug taking? Innuendo is one thing but there's no way in hell am going to expose my 10 year old to those overt themes willingly. 

My son can stick with sports games, platformers and building games. There's a plethora of Lego games, Mario, Sonic, Minecraft etc for him to get on with.