General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• westfordwestford Frets: 580
    I don’t mind the kids being in the room when I’m playing something like Horizon Zero Dawn. There is violence in it, but mostly against machines and it’s not gory/graphic. Wouldn’t play stuff like The Last of Us or Days Gone in front of them.

They are happy playing Mario and Lego games, youngest is starting to enjoy Minecraft which I need to figure out because he’ll thrust the controller at me and demand help now and again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    edited January 2022
    Yeah HZD is another I'd say yes to, but it looks to be a 16.
    On a side note I feel like a lot of these open world games are exactly the same thing but with different skins on them. Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Assassins Creed, all of them are the same missions and fighting styles. Ghost of Tsushima seems obsessed with having you follow footprints in mud to go have a conversation with someone who then asks you to kill some Mongols.
  • DefaultM said:
    I remember why I stopped playing, there was a woman in a crow mask and I thought it was an enemy so I hit her. Then she went absolutely apeshit and killed me, and I found out its an NPC and she'll just carry on trying to kill me now. I just thought fuck this game haha.
    No don’t tell me that. 

It's okay, I did this on my first play through. Just avoid her if you can beat her, it's fine.

Killing her is a viable thing to do anyway. 

If you can kill it, you won't ruin anything - you just change what you can and can't do later. It doesn't mean the game is broken.

I killed a couple of key npc's on my last play through because I wanted to see what happens. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    I couldn't anywhere near kill her, I just sat there crying arrrgh fuck off while she smashed me to bits.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited January 2022
    DefaultM said:
    I couldn't anywhere near kill her, I just sat there crying arrrgh fuck off while she smashed me to bits.

She's tough, but not the toughest. Best avoided early game - she will continue to hunt the player if you've agro'd her, but you can avoid her. When you're tougher it's not so bad.

The hardest fight in the game, by far, is related to Eileen the Crow but not her. Edit: not including dlc, which I've not played... Going to buy that tonight. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    DefaultM said:

She's tough, but not the toughest. Best avoided early game - she will continue to hunt the player if you've agro'd her, but you can avoid her. When you're tougher it's not so bad.

The hardest fight in the game, by far, is related to Eileen the Crow but not her. Edit: not including dlc, which I've not played... Going to buy that tonight. 
    It's great.
  • I remember completing Bloodborne. Me and a few mates were playing through it together at the same time and we ended up making a WhatsApp group chat to give each other tips when we completed a stage to try and help the rest of us through.

It became a part of our lives for about 4 weeks. When I finished it, I never felt more relieved and proud.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Dlc is half off! Winner winner! 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    edited January 2022
    Okay. I can easily kill mobs and the larger ones with the stone fist. Got my reflexes down now. I have got to Father Gascoigne after narrowly missing a flying ball of fucking fire. After two tries have got him to 50%. There’s some pig boss that I can’t be arsed with yet but I haven’t found the Great Cleric and I gather this is the first boss? Have I done something wrong?
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Cleric beast is optional but it is an easier fight than FG so might be worth doing to get insight (if you've not got some already) and extra echos to level up with before tackling FG. 

The pig isn't a boss and can be killed fairly easily once you figure it out.  No issue with just running past it either though.

As for FG, there is an item that can help with the fight but it's not necessary to beat him.  If you can get the timing right, parrying works well in the first phase of the fight.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I don't know what you lot are talking about, but I'm enjoy Resi Village :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Yeah, I gave up on Bloodborne (and Dark Souls) as I found them far too much of a slog to get through - but I'm tempted to jump back in now though.

Which one would you all suggest - Bloodborne, DS 1, 2, 3 or Demon's Souls on PS5?
  • My mate who finally decided to play the Souls games after I’d been raving about them for so long found DkS3 to be the easiest to get into. He’s now played through that multiple times and has nearly finished Bloodborne. 
    He didn’t get along with DkS1 at all much to my dismay. I’ll get him to play through that at some point though. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    RedRabbit said:
    Cleric beast is optional but it is an easier fight than FG so might be worth doing to get insight (if you've not got some already) and extra echos to level up with before tackling FG. 

The pig isn't a boss and can be killed fairly easily once you figure it out.  No issue with just running past it either though.

As for FG, there is an item that can help with the fight but it's not necessary to beat him.  If you can get the timing right, parrying works well in the first phase of the fight.  
    Yea I’ll go back and do it. I found out where he is. 

Do the bosses respawn if you die or are they one and done?
    RedRabbit said:

Yea I’ll go back and do it. I found out where he is. 

Do the bosses respawn if you die or are they one and done?
    Bosses don't respawn once you've killed them.  Same with some of the bigger enemies as well (I don't think the pig respawns).
    FarleyUK said:
    Yeah, I gave up on Bloodborne (and Dark Souls) as I found them far too much of a slog to get through - but I'm tempted to jump back in now though.

Which one would you all suggest - Bloodborne, DS 1, 2, 3 or Demon's Souls on PS5?
    I'd personally suggest DS1.  Combat is at a more sedate pace than Bloodborne so can be easier to pick up.

DS2 is the low point of the series in my opinion.  Not that it isn't good but both DS1 & 3 are fair better.  I've got Demon's Souls but haven't spent a lot of time on it yet.  I find it harder than DS1 though.
  • does anyone have any tips for a gaming numpty to trying to get into playing a dark souls game? i bought the remastered dark souls 1 game on switch last year but am a terrible gamer (even more embarrassing considering how long i have been gaming for).

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    beed84 said:
    Has anyone escaped Hades yet? 

On the subject of kids playing games I'm not sure if I should let my kids play.

It's quite cartoony but very bloody.
    does anyone have any tips for a gaming numpty to trying to get into playing a dark souls game? i bought the remastered dark souls 1 game on switch last year but am a terrible gamer (even more embarrassing considering how long i have been gaming for).

I think the main thing is to realise the combat is far more controlled than you might think.  If you try hammering the attack buttons  like you might in a hack and slash you'll usually die pretty quickly.  So much comes down to timing, dodging and stamina management that each swing of your weapon should be intentional.  Wild swinging will mean that run out of stamina and can't dodge/block an incoming attack.

Critical attacks (parry/riposte and back stabs) are helpful against some enemies but aren't essential.

Learn what the various weapon & armour stats mean in relation to your character.  Each weapon will have grades for strength and dexterity.  This indicates how the damage scales with your own stats as you level up (e.g. the claymore is a C in both strength and dexterity meaning as you level up either of these stats you'll see the damage increase but at a reasonably slow rate).

I personally wouldn't bother with magic on your first play through. 

• So how about some games that have been released more recently gentlemen?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.