General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• So how about some games that have been released more recently gentlemen?
    Have there been any? It's been a rubbish couple of years for games... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been playing Crusader Kings 3 on the PC, a medieval strategy role play where you control a ruler of a dynasty or kingdom, and the descendants. There's a lot to learn initially but after a couple of days, I was firmly hooked. A lot of political intrigue with vassals, family, religion, and of course battle and conquests etc. I've managed to conquer Ireland after 200 years of trying. A few hours on this just flies by.
    It's dangerously addictive. 
    Great game but I have had to put it down as it's a time sink
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    So how about some games that have been released more recently gentlemen?
    Have there been any? It's been a rubbish couple of years for games... 
    Yea loads! Although I’d say that 2021 was a bit lacklustre due to Covid etc.

Deathloop is good, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 4, Metroid Dread, Doom Eternal, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Hitman 3. I’m probably missing a few. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27694
    Finished Resi Evil 8 yesterday. It went all a bit COD for a while at the end. Suffered from the classic RE “weak third act in an industrial setting” sort of thing, but was fun overall. Glad I didn’t pay £50 though. 

I still want to play Returnal but I still don’t want to pay £50 for that either..
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Finished Witcher 3 for the third time, up to date with tomb raider and completed Assassins Creed Origins..   Might get Odyssey next.

But I now have access to an Xbox One now and Gears Of War (Ultimate Edition) and Halo 5 Guardians. Played neither of these before.  Is one better than the other? 

• Game Pass for Android, iOS, Mac and Linux is not unlikely over the next few years (unless it already exists and I missed it :) )
    It's already there. I can play Xbox games via the Gamepass app on my Android phone, and in the browser on my Macbook.

• Finished Witcher 3 for the third time, up to date with tomb raider and completed Assassins Creed Origins..   Might get Odyssey next.

But I now have access to an Xbox One now and Gears Of War (Ultimate Edition) and Halo 5 Guardians. Played neither of these before.  Is one better than the other? 
    Odyssey was amazing. 

It was like RDR2/GTA V in ancient Greece with the added climbing physics. 
    Thoroughly loved that game
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    edited January 2022
    The reason Game Pass App don't work on Mac or iOS is because Apple don't allow paid content through an app (like the whole fortnite thing).  So you have to play XCloud through Safari.
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 455
    edited January 2022
    Gears Of War (Ultimate Edition) and Halo 5 Guardians. Played neither of these before.  Is one better than the other? 
    Different types of shooter, both very good. Personally I prefer Gears of War to Halo 5, only because the story of Halo 5 was less memorable - I have no memory of what it was about beyond some general points!

Gears is ace, but it will depend on how you prefer your shooters, it's comparing oranges and lemons really.

Both are worth playing, but start with Gears Ultimate. It's a really solid 3rd person cover shooter and a lot of fun. Halo 5 is a really solid 1st person shooter, but there are better Halo games (in my opinion).
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    edited January 2022
    The reason Game Pass don't work on Mac or iOS is because Apple don't allow paid content through an app (like the whole fortnite thing).  So you have to play XCloud through Safari.
    Gamepass does work on Mac. 

All you have to do is go to xbox.com/play and away you go.

On my Mac...

edited January 2022
    The reason Game Pass don't work on Mac or iOS is because Apple don't allow paid content through an app (like the whole fortnite thing).  So you have to play XCloud through Safari.
    Except Gamepass does work on Mac. 

I mean the Xbox cloud app for game pass.  
  • The reason Game Pass don't work on Mac or iOS is because Apple don't allow paid content through an app (like the whole fortnite thing).  So you have to play XCloud through Safari.
    Except Gamepass does work on Mac. 

I mean the Xbox cloud app for game pass.  
    Fair enough

On my Mac...

So you can play anything and there’s no system requirements?

How’s the actual gaming? Laggy or okay? Can you also access the windows game? And are the graphics the same? 
  • The reason Game Pass don't work on Mac or iOS is because Apple don't allow paid content through an app (like the whole fortnite thing).  So you have to play XCloud through Safari.

On my Mac...

How’s the actual gaming? Laggy or okay? Can you also access the windows game? And are the graphics the same? 
    It's game streaming, system requirements aren't an issue because you are using remote hardware, your device is just displaying a video stream.

Games are played on Xbox hardware, no PC options yet. But the servers are being upgraded to to the latest Xbox Series hardware on a game by game basis.

Lag and video quality is very much dependent on the quality of your internet connection and wifi hardware. For example I find that my Mac does a better job than my phone with the same signal. Some games suit streaming more than others. 

edited January 2022

On my Mac...

You are essentially playing it through a browser, you can actually play it on the base XBox One...meaning you can play Xbox Series X games on a XB1.  

Or....if MS ever allows it, bring an app into a Smart TV and connect a controller to your TV then you basically have an Xbox without an Xbox.  Google Stadia? Google what? 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Last night I found myself watching YouTube Retro Gaming videos, especially the handheld devices.  
    I blame it on some of the new models taking inspiration from the original Game Boy design! like: https://www.analogue.co/pocket & https://www.goretroid.com/collections/retro-game-system/products/retroid-pocket-2-plus-handheld-retro-gaming-system

https://youtu.be/1Za-FU6Wbg4

Does anyone here use one? 
    duotone said:
    Last night I found myself watching YouTube Retro Gaming videos, especially the handheld devices.  
    I blame it on some of the new models taking inspiration from the original Game Boy design! like: https://www.analogue.co/pocket & https://www.goretroid.com/collections/retro-game-system/products/retroid-pocket-2-plus-handheld-retro-gaming-system

https://youtu.be/1Za-FU6Wbg4

Does anyone here use one? 
    Not ordered but VERY tempted.  Then when I go to Japan I hit up BookOff and raid their used games section.

Only reason not ordered that is because I have a GBA, DS Lite, 3Ds XL and Switch but don't really play them!  I have seen other forums with people who has them and it's a great little piece of gear.

Very cool piece of hardware though.

• Wowsers. So that’s Starcraft, WoW, Overwatch etc too. 
    wonder what i tmeans for diablo 4

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

Wowsers. So that’s Starcraft, WoW, Overwatch etc too. 
    wonder what i tmeans for diablo 4

I imagine they’ll say whatever you’re doing keep doing it, and they’ll keep monopolising the whole industry. 
    Cleric Beast done. :+1: