General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Still back in time playing old faves.  Started GTA IV on PS3 again now.. wicked funny humour but the driving and fighting is not as good and fun as Sleeping Dogs.
    I always struggled with GTA 4. 
    At the time it was good but not gripping for me. 

5 was amazing. The story and the characters were excellent. I didn't really care for Niko and Roman in 4
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the story of 4 was better than 5 personally. I thought Michael was too much of a knob and Trevor was too over the top - even by GTA standards - to be authentic.

Where 5 is obviously better is in the multiplayer. I see that as an entirely different entity from the single player base game.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was a bit underwhelmed by the State of Play for GT7. I've already pre-ordered the game. But to me the game seemed very similar to GT4, where the bloat began to overtake the core driving experience. 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    I've started Vice City remastered. Not really done any missions yet, just been driving the taxi  =)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    wibble said:
    Anyone watch the State of Play with Gran Turismo 7? 
    Can't wait to play it. HYPE!

A very technical demo, very very dry to watch, lots of weather physics which is very impressive with puddles etc.  I thought the photo mode is particular inventive.  I loved that.

In terms of graphics, I think that is a step below the latest Forza Horizon (yes i know Horizon is more a sim, but i am just talking about graphic, not game play).

Will have to wait for reviews, I suspect this to get 8/10 from the usual suspects' media outlets.
    That Elden Ring looks amazing, is it going to be like Dark Souls difficulty?
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1884
    DefaultM said:
    I've started Vice City remastered. Not really done any missions yet, just been driving the taxi  =)

What is it like? I've not heard good things about the remakes 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • I’m still playing Bloodbourne. Done a few bosses. Am running around Hemwick Lane I think it’s called right now. Just trying to kill this witch. 

I hate that boss fight, but once you've figured it out you'll walk it. 

DefaultM said:

I hope so - part of the joy of the game is being repeatedly punished for poor play before finally playing well and overcoming the challenge. 

But apparently... It's a bit easier. I was a bit worried about this when I heard it was open world (which is often code for "lots of boring empty stuff" but if anyone can do it right it's From Software!).

This is from early play reviews online. I'm buying it no matter what though. If the writing is anything like as good as dark souls or bloodborne, it'll be worth triple the price of admission :)

I'm playing dark souls again! First time I'm doing a miracles build. So far... It's hideously overpowered but I can't work out how on earth I'm supposed to beat the hydra. Absolutely flattening everything else though! 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    I’m still playing Bloodbourne. Done a few bosses. Am running around Hemwick Lane I think it’s called right now. Just trying to kill this witch. 

DefaultM said:

I hope so - part of the joy of the game is being repeatedly punished for poor play before finally playing well and overcoming the challenge. 

But apparently... It's a bit easier. I was a bit worried about this when I heard it was open world (which is often code for "lots of boring empty stuff" but if anyone can do it right it's From Software!).

This is from early play reviews online. I'm buying it no matter what though. If the writing is anything like as good as dark souls or bloodborne, it'll be worth triple the price of admission :)

I'm playing dark souls again! First time I'm doing a miracles build. So far... It's hideously overpowered but I can't work out how on earth I'm supposed to beat the hydra. Absolutely flattening everything else though! 
    I’m doing fine really. I’m in the Forbidden Forest. I just lost 100k blood echoes. I feel sick. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibble said:

A very technical demo, very very dry to watch, lots of weather physics which is very impressive with puddles etc.  I thought the photo mode is particular inventive.  I loved that.

In terms of graphics, I think that is a step below the latest Forza Horizon (yes i know Horizon is more a sim, but i am just talking about graphic, not game play).

Will have to wait for reviews, I suspect this to get 8/10 from the usual suspects' media outlets.
    Forza Horizon is less of a sim than GT or Forza Motorsport. 

wibble said:

Yea it’s pure arcade. Not really a sim in my opinion. 
  • I’m still playing Bloodbourne. Done a few bosses. Am running around Hemwick Lane I think it’s called right now. Just trying to kill this witch. 

DefaultM said:

I’m doing fine really. I’m in the Forbidden Forest. I just lost 100k blood echoes. I feel sick. 

Oh my god. I don't think I ever had 100k until like ng+! Any spare echoes get spent on blood vials, bullets and poison daggers... 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    edited February 2022
    wibble said:

I meant to say Horizon is LESS of a sim….which is why I followed up with  "i am just talking about graphic, not game play)." as I fully expected someone will point out the difference between the 2 to me.  Thought I wanted to pre-empt that, but put the wrong word!

I knew that lol I played them all. 
    edited February 2022
    I’m still playing Bloodbourne. Done a few bosses. Am running around Hemwick Lane I think it’s called right now. Just trying to kill this witch. 

DefaultM said:

This is from early play reviews online. I'm buying it no matter what though. If the writing is anything like as good as dark souls or bloodborne, it'll be worth triple the price of admission

Oh my god. I don't think I ever had 100k until like ng+! Any spare echoes get spent on blood vials, bullets and poison daggers... 
    I just accrued them by going through the forest with my friend. I died a few times and got them back and ended up eventually losing them to a big snake thing and then does stupidly to a normal mob. Oh well. 
  • I have mixed feelings about GT7. I have fond memories of the early ones (GT3 in particular), but I don't think I have the time for it these days. I have been enjoyed Dirt5 though - that's a really good less "simmy" rally game that's brining back memories of Motorstorm games of old. 

Outside racing I've picked up The Last of Us 2 again, about a year after I put it down. It feels better with the PS5 upgrade and looks amazing. I'm still probably only 25% through but it's fantastic.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I’m also a bit like I can’t be bothered with serious driving games. I love them but I much prefer a proper story driven game. 
    Sesh said:
    DefaultM said:
    I've started Vice City remastered. Not really done any missions yet, just been driving the taxi 

Im enjoying it for the nostalgia, but watching a few YouTube videos it doesn't seem as detailed as the original. Stuff like helicopter blades don't make branches on the trees blow etc. I was enjoying it before that was pointed out to me though and I'm sure I still will.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1884
    DefaultM said:
    Sesh said:
    DefaultM said:
    I've started Vice City remastered. Not really done any missions yet, just been driving the taxi 

Im enjoying it for the nostalgia, but watching a few YouTube videos it doesn't seem as detailed as the original. Stuff like helicopter blades don't make branches on the trees blow etc. I was enjoying it before that was pointed out to me though and I'm sure I still will.
    I really need to 100% Gta5 on PS3. Maybe I'll just did out the ps2 after and play 3/vc/sa  how God intended. As if I have the time for that... 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    Today is my monthly company balance day, so I’ve spent most of it playing Dying Light 2. 

I can only describe it as ‘frustrating’. 

It has the bones of a fantastic game - fluid gameplay, good weapons, and investigating at night is proper squeaky-bum stuff… but there’s so much stuff that’s annoying. 

For example - why are there so many indicators on my HUD? I appreciate there’s loads to do, but you don’t need to dump it all on my radar and HUD. It makes trying to navigate really hard. Plus, the city looks the same. 

Also cannot repair weapons which could get frustrating. 

Hopefully they’ll patch some improvements in, as I’m enjoying it - but not quite as much as the first one. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3738
    edited February 2022
    Has any rally/racing game beaten the fun and straightforward drifting of Dirt 2?