General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    Has any rally/racing game beaten the fun and straightforward drifting of Dirt 2?

I found Wreckfest very enjoyable
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Has any rally/racing game beaten the fun and straightforward drifting of Dirt 2?
    I prefer WRC9 and 10. 

• wibble said:
    Has any rally/racing game beaten the fun and straightforward drifting of Dirt 2?

Forza horizon has drifting, rallying and most variants of 4 wheel frolics on various types of tracks.
    It is more arcade than sim. I really enjoyed 4, I can only assume 5 is a better looking version with more of the same
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FarleyUK said:
    Today is my monthly company balance day, so I’ve spent most of it playing Dying Light 2. 

I can only describe it as ‘frustrating’. 

It has the bones of a fantastic game - fluid gameplay, good weapons, and investigating at night is proper squeaky-bum stuff… but there’s so much stuff that’s annoying. 

For example - why are there so many indicators on my HUD? I appreciate there’s loads to do, but you don’t need to dump it all on my radar and HUD. It makes trying to navigate really hard. Plus, the city looks the same. 

Also cannot repair weapons which could get frustrating. 

Hopefully they’ll patch some improvements in, as I’m enjoying it - but not quite as much as the first one. 

Weapon repairs can be devaluing in any game that relies on "what a big big map we've made" type game because the whole point is that exploring and finding new things is the core game loop. Finding a good weapon and keeping it throughout would likely realise a much more dull experience. 

I also don't like a cluttered HUD. Quest markers are the bane of any of these games - such a stupid idea. Give us maps - make us work within this amazing open world! I loved Silent Hill for its map - and the requirement to find maps of smaller sections of the game to navigate (such as the hospital). It made exploring the game much more fun and I'm sure this could be incorporated into open world games.

Must be a very hard type of game to make right. Dying light looks like it'll be fun in late game when you can traverse and fight in really fun, interesting ways but I don't think I'd enjoy the journey to that point. 
  • wibble said:

Forza horizon has drifting, rallying and most variants of 4 wheel frolics on various types of tracks.
    It is more arcade than sim. I really enjoyed 4, I can only assume 5 is a better looking version with more of the same
    Horizon works very well as a rally game. You can create really long stages, with mixed surfaces and weather/season choices.

The handling in Horizon 5 has been further improved - and while not attempting to be a full sim - has much more nuanced suspension and grip handling. 

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    FarleyUK said:
    Today is my monthly company balance day, so I’ve spent most of it playing Dying Light 2. 

I can only describe it as ‘frustrating’. 

It has the bones of a fantastic game - fluid gameplay, good weapons, and investigating at night is proper squeaky-bum stuff… but there’s so much stuff that’s annoying. 

For example - why are there so many indicators on my HUD? I appreciate there’s loads to do, but you don’t need to dump it all on my radar and HUD. It makes trying to navigate really hard. Plus, the city looks the same. 

Also cannot repair weapons which could get frustrating. 

Hopefully they’ll patch some improvements in, as I’m enjoying it - but not quite as much as the first one. 

Weapon repairs can be devaluing in any game that relies on "what a big big map we've made" type game because the whole point is that exploring and finding new things is the core game loop. Finding a good weapon and keeping it throughout would likely realise a much more dull experience. 

I also don't like a cluttered HUD. Quest markers are the bane of any of these games - such a stupid idea. Give us maps - make us work within this amazing open world! I loved Silent Hill for its map - and the requirement to find maps of smaller sections of the game to navigate (such as the hospital). It made exploring the game much more fun and I'm sure this could be incorporated into open world games.

Must be a very hard type of game to make right. Dying light looks like it'll be fun in late game when you can traverse and fight in really fun, interesting ways but I don't think I'd enjoy the journey to that point. 
    That pretty much sums up Dying Light - mid to
    late game is amazing, but the grind there is annoying. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited February 2022
    I got a couple of new wireless pro controllers (don't know what you call them but like the xbox type things) to use with my son's switch. Only £15 each, very good, totally solid, much better than I'd have imagined! 
    Been playing lego avengers, that he got for Christmas, two player. Great fun!

Took ages to connect them right enough. Didn't realise you had to push the charging cables (c type USB?) in quite hard. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10389
    How’d you get them that cheap?!
  • How’d you get them that cheap?!
    Presumably licensed ones in the same style, rather than the Nintendo ones themselves, no?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7430
    Hate it when you've played a game for aaages, finished it, started the next game and you keep using the other game's controls on it. 
    Vice City I keep wanting to sprint which is X, but I press L3 from Ghost Of Tsushima, he just crouches and then everyone shoots me.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited February 2022
    Presumably licensed ones in the same style, rather than the Nintendo ones themselves, no?

Yeah, they're not actual Nintendo ones. Great quality though.
  • Can anyone recommend where to get a ps4 controller from? I need a working one for elden ring release day... 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3739
    edited February 2022
    Can anyone recommend where to get a ps4 controller from? I need a working one for elden ring release day... 
    Argos sell the official ones.  CEX should have some second hand
    Just beat the Shadow of Yharnam after 900 tries if anyone can relate. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    @ThePrettyDamned ;
    Have you tried 
    https://www.thegamecollection.net/
    Bought a few games from them & found them to be prompt at posting items + very good prices too.
  • duotone said:
    @ThePrettyDamned ;
    Have you tried https://www.thegamecollection.net/
    Bought a few games from them & found them to be prompt at posting items + very good prices too.

Thanks, sadly out of stock of anything affordable. Starting to think, any money I spend on a controller is money away from getting a PS5 next year. If they can supply them by then, that is.

I did find this, but the site is one I've never heard of. https://www.momengames.com/index.php/product/sony-dualshock-4-controller-new-version-2-red-crystal-eu-ps4/
  • Ooo https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-deal-currys

Done. £5 saved. Now need a controller, but will wait till payday... 
    @ThePrettyDamned Thanks man. Done too. :)
  • @ThePrettyDamned Thanks man. Done too. :)
    Very welcome. 

If you fancy some co-op we can choose a password (if it has the same system as bloodborbe/sekiro). 
    edited February 2022
    Yea. Let’s. I’ll PM you my PSN ID. But let’s hope it’s better than in Bloodbourne which is very hit and miss and frustrating. 

I’m still playing Bloodbourne. I’m in the Unseen Villiage which is impossible. Can’t find the third bell ringer where the witches are before they respawn and kill me. 

I was also running around with 50 insight which apparently makes the game much harder. Doh.