General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• An hour or so in and I have made like no progress. Just chilling out and enjoying the ride - nice to have this.

It's a similar feeling to when I first got dark souls on xbox. It was reviewed poorly at the time - I remember watching a YouTube review that said it was poor combat and very slow, with no story. But I really liked how it looked, and got it second hand from game. 

No regrets! 
    Just done just over an hour - seems promising so far.  No real idea where I'm meant to be heading other than roughly following the golden beams.  Got killed several times by a roaming boss on horseback before deciding to circle around and try later.  Then stumbled across a camp full of soldiers.  Didn't realise that one had a horn to summon all the others and got rushed by the whole camp.  Tried again, sneaking about taking them out one by one but still got wiped out by a soldier with a huge shield and spear.

Reminds me more of Dark Souls 2 than anything else at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    DefaultM said:
    Been playing 16 hours on Horizon and only just zoomed out the map. It looks huge!
    Yea it’s massive. The only thing for me is, it’s very similar to the first one so for me it’s a bit repetitive in its gameplay. I’m looking forward to Elden Ring so I expect that will go on the back burner.
    But you can glide in this one! =P 
    Yeah it seems quite samey in comparison so far, but I've had a look down the skills lists and there seems to be some newer things. Unless they were in the first and I've just forgotten. 

I know I've complained about a few things with it, but I am really enjoying it. Saying that though here are 3 more things that annoy me...

The music is great, but the volume is all over the place. When I'm in Plainsong I keep getting mad leaps in volume.

Sometimes you'll run through an archway or similar and the screen will just go entirely black. I think a cutscene is about to start but no, it just seems to have been some kind of glitch.

When you go to a rebel outpost it will say you've got to kill everything to clear it. I'll think I've done that but it won't clear, and then inevitably there's some guy stuck behind some scenery ranting about how he's got you now.
    I had one guy that was actually inside the rock wall of the outpost. He could throw bombs out and I could hit him with the spear to kill him, but I could only see him using the Focus.
  • RedRabbit said:
    An hour or so in and I have made like no progress. Just chilling out and enjoying the ride - nice to have this.

It's a similar feeling to when I first got dark souls on xbox. It was reviewed poorly at the time - I remember watching a YouTube review that said it was poor combat and very slow, with no story. But I really liked how it looked, and got it second hand from game. 

No regrets! 
    Just done just over an hour - seems promising so far.  No real idea where I'm meant to be heading other than roughly following the golden beams.  Got killed several times by a roaming boss on horseback before deciding to circle around and try later.  Then stumbled across a camp full of soldiers.  Didn't realise that one had a horn to summon all the others and got rushed by the whole camp.  Tried again, sneaking about taking them out one by one but still got wiped out by a soldier with a huge shield and spear.

Reminds me more of Dark Souls 2 than anything else at the moment.

It seems fantastic, but I'm nervous - crafting stuff always makes me worry, there is only so many good mechanics that can be squeezed into a game and I'd rather they were done well than crammed in.

With that said, this doesn't feel like skyrim and does feel more like dark souls. The inclusion of stealth is fine, but I hope it's not too much of a core mechanic. We'll see.

It's... Beautiful. I'm playing in hdr mode on ps4 and it's just stunning. This must be absolutely pushing the ps4 to it's limit. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    edited February 2022
    I'm on PC with a 3060ti and it is gorgeous running on high settings at 1440p.  There is some stuttering though but I believe a patch is coming soon to address some of the performance issues.  Most of the time I'm getting a solid 60fps.

Definitely a souls like rather than a Bethesda open world game.  I haven't got to the actually crafting yet but the mention of it did make me slightly nervous. Hopefully it won't be a core part of the game.  I'm assuming it'll be for making arrows, bombs, potions etc rather than a whole weapon crafting system.
  • RedRabbit said:
    I'm on PC with a 3060ti and it is gorgeous running on high settings at 1440p.  There is some stuttering though but I believe a patch is coming soon to address some of the performance issues.  Most of the time I'm getting a solid 60fps.

Definitely a souls like rather than a Bethesda open world game.  I haven't got to the actually crafting yet but the mention of it did make me slightly nervous. Hopefully it won't be a core part of the game.  I'm assuming it'll be for making arrows, bombs, potions etc rather than a whole weapon crafting system.

That's what I'm seeing so far. Thank god... 

It's so good. Please no spoilers people - I've been avoiding all mention of anything on this, and I'm experiencing things that apparently people have known for months! So good. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10398
    Yea no spoilers. Although, I imagine like other Souls games it’ll be a very individual game. I will find things others won’t and vice versa. 
  • I don't think I've posted anything that would class as a spoiler but apologies if I have.

Spent a little more time with it without making much progress but getting a better grip on the mechanics.  I don't remember a souls game being this tough from the off before.  Might try wandering in a less obvious direction to see if there's anything I've missed.

The only real issue I have is how jumpy the camera can be.  I've missed a few backstabs due to the camera swinging wildly when I've dodged an attack.
  • So I was super excited for Elden Ring. So damn excited. I'd been waiting years and honestly ... I think I might hate it. I have not enjoyed any of it beyond the initial tutorial of sorts area. 

I had pre-ordered on both PS5 and Xbox and have actually refunded the Xbox version. 

I'm genuinely so gutted but the changes to the proper open world are really not doing it for me. I'm gonna try to persevere some more but right now I'm back on Bloodborne Ng+++ and absolutely loving it still. A game I've played for hundreds of hours already. 

Gonna go and cry now. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well that’s sad. Keep going?
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1057
    edited February 2022
    Yea I'm gonna keep playing and hopefully it'll grow on me. The music is great at least. 
  • I was really looking forward to getting a PS5, I gave up on the Xbox platform shortly after buying an Xbox One, but I've never got round to doing it.  I really liked the first Horizon Zero Dawn game, was really excited about a second one.  And now somehow I been taken in by real time stratergy games, the Civ series and such, which though available for consoles, and are identical to their PC counterparts on all the platforms they are available, just don't feel right on a console.  This weekend for example, instead of firing up the PS4, I've been playing in a Civ multuplayer match.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29194
    I am playing Lawn Mower Simulator.

It's actually rather enjoyable. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I was really looking forward to getting a PS5, I gave up on the Xbox platform shortly after buying an Xbox One, but I've never got round to doing it.  I really liked the first Horizon Zero Dawn game, was really excited about a second one.  And now somehow I been taken in by real time stratergy games, the Civ series and such, which though available for consoles, and are identical to their PC counterparts on all the platforms they are available, just don't feel right on a console.  This weekend for example, instead of firing up the PS4, I've been playing in a Civ multuplayer match.
    Civ is amazing but a real time sink.
    The amount of times I've sat at my pc, all red eyed saying one more turn...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    Civ is what my wife plays on Nintendo Switch, which im sure isn't as good as the PC version but I suppose at least you can just sit on the sofa and play it casually.
  • Sporky said:
    I am playing Lawn Mower Simulator.

It's actually rather enjoyable. 
    I always find those simple simulator games to be great for stress relief.

Farming Sim is another one, and the Euro Truck Simulator Games.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    My mate swears by Farming Simulator but I just don’t get it. 

I think I’m gonna go Samurai in Elden Ring. What did you guys choose?
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451

I think I’m gonna go Samurai in Elden Ring. What did you guys choose?
    I've got one character as the astrologer (I think it is...) and another as a Hero. You're not really bound to any particular playstyle though - however, I've found things much easier with the magic caster so far than I have with the melee build.
    Yea from what I can tell you just need to stack points in other areas to get a similar result. It’s just a starting thing. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29194
    Me neither. I had no idea what I was meant to be doing. I did manage to crash a train into a giant logging machine, but that was dissatisfying.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Me neither. I had no idea what I was meant to be doing. I did manage to crash a train into a giant logging machine, but that was dissatisfying.
    Maybe our game is Goat Simulator?