Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dudley, a dress rehearsal for Eunice ?

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10749

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4610

Getting hairy here in Grimsby now. Boss has sodded off home to Hull early because the Humber Bridge is closed to all vehicles.

Lucky git. 

Yeah I heard that on the news (the bridge, not your boss :) ). I only once remember it being completely closed, it was usually only to high-sided vehicles. I've driven across it in some fairly lairy conditions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24772
    Lights just flickered... I hope we're not heading for a power cut.  It seemed like perhaps it was easing off a little.
  • It's a little breezy in Ipswich! The new garden furniture that I waited six months to arrive last year thanks to the Suez Canal blockage is now at the bottom of my swimming pool. I think that's what they call a first world problem. :#
    Link to my trading feedback
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7234
    bertie said:
    Offset said:
    Very violent gusts here is South Glozzershire.  Lots of trees down.  Schools shut, businesses closed, everyone hunkering down.  It was supposed to have quietened down by now but not much sign of that yet.
    did you see the tree/treehouse video in Stroud ?  twas on HTV news just now
    Was that the one on the bbc news? Lucinda was very posh, lots of "Oh my gosh" as a huge tree narrowly misses her house! Mustnt swear in front of the kids!

Storm Eunice: People hurt and buildings damaged as record winds batter UK - BBC News
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • bertie said:
    Yes saw that online. Nasty. Lots of trees down in the area. And lots of folks without power including most of our street. But we're next to the substation and weirdly still got power, happens quite a bit. 

mrkb said:
    bertie said:
    Offset said:
    Very violent gusts here is South Glozzershire.  Lots of trees down.  Schools shut, businesses closed, everyone hunkering down.  It was supposed to have quietened down by now but not much sign of that yet.
    Was that the one on the bbc news? Lucinda was very posh, lots of "Oh my gosh" as a huge tree narrowly misses her house! Mustnt swear in front of the kids!

Storm Eunice: People hurt and buildings damaged as record winds batter UK - BBC News
    Good for her.  I'm as sweary as fuck but I don't like to hear people swear in front of kids.  They'll be learning it soon enough anyway.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13585
    mrkb said:
    bertie said:
    Offset said:

I saw it on HTV  (there was a clue  ;)  )      big tree with a tree house, in a very large garden.......... took one for the team
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 440
    It's a little breezy in Ipswich! The new garden furniture that I waited six months to arrive last year thanks to the Suez Canal blockage is now at the bottom of my swimming pool. I think that's what they call a first world problem. :#

I live roughly 9 miles from Ipswich and cannot understand what use someone there could get from a swimming pool, unless it's an indoor one, which it clearly can't be. Just saying...
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20251
    Some possible sweeping subjective generalisations here  ;) 

Several major storms since November mainly affecting the NE of England & Scotland (Arwen, Barry, Malik, Corrie) major damage & thousands of people without electricity & water for over 10 days - briefly makes the news headlines, then soon forgotten.
      'Dudley' affected the whole of the UK & now Eunice is proving to be a very serious storm affecting the South most & it's all front page paper headlines plus on the BBC website & radio, call out the army plus 6 pages of discussions here...
    Dudley & now Eunice also hit the North too (blowing very hard here now & lights flickering) & is due to continue over tomorrow.

Why does everything seem to be so much more dramatic & newsworthy when it affects the South? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12699
    Aaaaaand part of our fence has blown down. The part we didn’t get replaced last summer because “well, it looks solid enough”. Turns out the posts are completely rotten. Ho hum. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6889
    Why does everything seem to be so much more dramatic & newsworthy when it affects the South? 

Actually, everything is South-Centric in the UK. Same as everything is North-Centric in Italy.....and also, Male-centric and White-centric and Money-Centric everywhere. 

We're a pretty lame and stupid species. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2022
    Some possible sweeping subjective generalisations here   

Several major storms since November mainly affecting the NE of England & Scotland (Arwen, Barry, Malik, Corrie) major damage & thousands of people without electricity & water for over 10 days - briefly makes the news headlines, then soon forgotten.
      'Dudley' affected the whole of the UK & now Eunice is proving to be a very serious storm affecting the South most & it's all front page paper headlines plus on the BBC website & radio, call out the army plus 6 pages of discussions here...
    Dudley & now Eunice also hit the North too (blowing very hard here now & lights flickering) & is due to continue over tomorrow.

Before she completely axes the BBC, "Culture Secretary" Nadine Dorries is going to force them to prepare daily summaries of hours of news coverage, broken down into to each separate region.

And if there's too much news about, say, London - a couple of stabbings, perhaps - they'll have to edit the articles to say it happened in Leeds.  And everyone'll be happy.

Levelling up.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25263
    Chimney has come off my mum's house and bits have landed on her car. Dented roof and bonnet and smashed the windscreen.

Great. Not.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    It's been dreadful round here. A couple of hours ago I had to tie the veg trug lid shut.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17276
    He had a twister

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13585

I think because (despite what actual outcome there was) in this instance the met office labels of "red alert"  already injected a sense of "Armageddon "  and I will admit -  I was genuinely quite worried about what might happen to my property I don't ever remember having a red alert posted for where I lived,  although I have lived through some pretty adverse and nasty weather much worse than we witnessed today   - so I think today was a case of "here it comes, this is happening........." and then THANKFULLY  -  nowhere near as bad - or at least not as bad in places that were predicted to be bad,  and worse in placed that,  were not (make sense ?) 

I for one am certainly glad it was that way around and not the other.  

In other instances, dont label "London / home counties" as representative of the whole of the south !!     1" of snow up there and you'd think there were bilzzards ;) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • It’s been blowing like crazy in Bath. A big tree down just by our flat - 10 mins after we walked past it too !

Weird thing is that we have been flicking between sunshine and rain all day. We went to a house viewing that was cancelled, on again, cancelled, on again.

And just went out for dinner, then virtually blown off our feet walking home.

Global warming - dontcha just love it !!

I know, I know, we have had storms for years, but worth mentioning just ‘cos of Trump.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20251
    bertie said:

I think because (despite what actual outcome there was) in this instance the met office labels of "red alert"  already injected a sense of "Armageddon "  and I will admit -  I was genuinely quite worried about what might happen to my property I don't ever remember having a red alert posted for where I lived,  although I have lived through some pretty adverse and nasty weather much worse than we witnessed today   - so I think today was a case of "here it comes, this is happening........." and then THANKFULLY  -  nowhere near as bad - or at least not as bad in places that were predicted to be bad,  and worse in placed that,  were not (make sense ?) 

I for one am certainly glad it was that way around and not the other.  

In other instances, dont label "London / home counties" as representative of the whole of the south !!     1" of snow up there and you'd think there were bilzzards ;) 
    No problem. I consider anywhere further down than Middlesborough as being the deep South :lol: