The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    Looking forward to the Black Country derby in the cup on Sunday - although the interesting question that never seems to get a definitive answer has reared its head again: It's called the Black Country derby, but is either club actually in the Black Country? Traditionally the black Country area didn't include Wolverhampton nor Smethwick where you could argue the Hawthorns is, and of course not Birmingham which it closely borders with. Still most of the fans are in the Black Country and these days they tend to lump all of the boroughs of Wolverhampton, Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall together as the Black Country, so I suppose it'll have to do. We don't have exciting enough dialect to come up with something as catchy as El Classico! Maybe the Bostin Footy Party.

I can't see us (Albion) winning against Wolves on paper, they've a much bigger and better squad, good manager and are in decent form. We are over achieving with our position albeit in a poor overall quality league apart from a few teams above us. We are at least at home where we normally do better - can't seem to score for toffee away from home, so I'm glad it's not at the Molineux
    Yes it’s the modern interpretation of Black Country rather than what it historically meant although I guess you would want to call it something, maybe just accept that it’s short for The Both Ends Of The Black Country Spine Road Derby. And yes a lot of the fans of both live in the BC (I’m knee deep in Baggies territory here). 
    IIRC The Hawthorns was actually built within Birmingham (there was a previous ground in West Bromwich)and the boundary was moved later as a concession. 
    WBA have the better record in the derby I believe although on paper you might think it should be a win for the Wolves. Hoping it’s on a TV channel I can access. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3138
    John Major was Prime Minister last time Wolves won at Hawthorns!
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10400
    edited January 24
    sev112 said:
    I haven’t seen him do anything since Leeds, I hope this is another Lingard for him and for us, but I am surprised at which gap he is trying to fill?

would have loved to get Broja, a real centre forward in the Antonio, Ashton, Arnautovic, David Cross mould 
    I think it's a great loan signing because he obviously has quality and is an England international and will be roaring to go to get into the England squad. We need depth and if we like him we can sign him permanently and we add another England international to our squad. It hasn't worked out for him at City, I think partly because of the talent that's in front of him and because he hasn't gelled with Pep. Maybe he didn't like his managerial style. If I remember correctly they signed him, he went on holiday after the World Cup and then he called him overweight at the start of preseason and never played him. It was a weird situation all round and I don't know if I would automatically blame the player. He works hard for Southgate and plays well when he plays. 

He'll play either next to Alvarez, in place of Alvarez by rotating, or next to JWP in place of Soucek. I think Soucek gets tired and needs rotating much more than the others. If Phillips is still the real deal I agree that this is our best lineup and it looks pretty great to me! 

In terms of Broja, I don't know. I haven't seen him play that much but to me I'm not sure if he's fast enough and has the finishing to fit our playing style. £50m seems a lot for him. I think they think that because Man Utd and Arsenal paid double what they should've for Havertz and Mount that we will too, and Sullivan is much too shrewd to pay that amount. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10043
    edited January 24
    blobb said:
    Yes but I suppose this is the first time we've played you where we've not been in the same league, you guys are established in the Premier League and therefore your squad will be quicker, fitter, and better mentality than our championship squad that's got used to losing and missing out unfortunately. I'm amazed you guys didn't send us packing last time we were in the premier to be honest, albeit at Molineux we were aided by Callum Robinson's Villa youth training ie diving at every opportunity. The closer it's getting, the more I think you guys are going to absolutely thrash us one.

Or to be proper yam yam about it, yow lot am gunna hommer us one till we'm yampy  
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14858
    edited January 24 tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    I haven’t seen him do anything since Leeds, I hope this is another Lingard for him and for us, but I am surprised at which gap he is trying to fill?

would have loved to get Broja, a real centre forward in the Antonio, Ashton, Arnautovic, David Cross mould 
    I think it's a great loan signing because he obviously has quality and is an England international and will be roaring to go to get into the England squad. We need depth and if we like him we can sign him permanently and we add another England international to our squad. It hasn't worked out for him at City, I think partly because of the talent that's in front of him and because he hasn't gelled with Pep. Maybe he didn't like his managerial style. If I remember correctly they signed him, he went on holiday after the World Cup and then he called him overweight at the start of preseason and never played him. It was a weird situation all round and I don't know if I would automatically blame the player. He works hard for Southgate and plays well when he plays. 

He'll play either next to Alvarez, in place of Alvarez by rotating, or next to JWP in place of Soucek. I think Soucek gets tired and needs rotating much more than the others. If Phillips is still the real deal I agree that this is our best lineup and it looks pretty great to me! 

In terms of Broja, I don't know. I haven't seen him play that much but to me I'm not sure if he's fast enough and has the finishing to fit our playing style. £50m seems a lot for him. I think they think that because Man Utd and Arsenal paid double what they should've for Havertz and Mount that we will too, and Sullivan is much too shrewd to pay that amount. 
    Not sure of the finer detail of your team and set up - But knowing him well at Leeds, he would sit where Alvarez is - So that might become a 2 pivot holding role giving JWP more freedom - He is not a 'flair' orientated player in midfield aka JWP - But he can press + tackle - Good energy - Good 1/4 back role with a good long pass that is generally accurate - Before Bielsa was at Leeds he could be a bit loose in the tackle and a couple of red cards, but Bielsa got rid of that mode - In most PL teams he would play - Villa wanted him a while ago - Newcastle wanted him now as did Juventus - But at City it didn't work out - Knowing that Pep and Bielsa are big buddies, then I'm surprised Pep had not 'fathomed' him out before signing him - He is a grafter and I'm sure would work well in a Moyes side - I'll be even watching more of your games now - He is still one of us
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10400
    Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season! 
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1266
    Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season! 
    Whole backroom going with him.  Linders had been doing a lot of press recently so I thought he might be being groomed to take over but apparently not.  Absolutely gutted.  I'm just hoping we don't fall as far as Utd.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23785
    Wow, that's a shocker.  Stevie Gerrard will be checking the small print of his contract as we speak.  ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Wow, that's a shocker.  Stevie Gerrard will be checking the small print of his contract as we speak.  ;)
    He may well become a good manager in the future.  He is not at the moment and won't be while working in Saudi.  It pains me to say this as I so wanted him to be good.

• Gutted. Gerrard is no where near ready for the job, Xabi Alonso maybe?
    edited January 26
    Gutted. Gerrard is no where near ready for the job, Xabi Alonso maybe?
    It's a good shout I think but would he leave if he wins the Bundesliga?  Not sure he would.  Although if we base our manager hiring on whoever is last to win the Bundesliga that doesn't manager Bayern it's a pretty decent strategy.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23785
    S56035 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    He may well become a good manager in the future.  He is not at the moment and won't be while working in Saudi.  It pains me to say this as I so wanted him to be good.
    I suspect Gerrard, like Lampard and Rooney, may simply not have whatever it is that makes a good manager, but time will tell.

I think Xabi Alonso is a far more likely prospect.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4399
    I'd imagine Frank Lampard is dusting off his CV.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7065
    CHRISB50 said:
    I’m hoping for a Keegan return ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    blobb said:
    Yes but I suppose this is the first time we've played you where we've not been in the same league, you guys are established in the Premier League and therefore your squad will be quicker, fitter, and better mentality than our championship squad that's got used to losing and missing out unfortunately. I'm amazed you guys didn't send us packing last time we were in the premier to be honest, albeit at Molineux we were aided by Callum Robinson's Villa youth training ie diving at every opportunity. The closer it's getting, the more I think you guys are going to absolutely thrash us one.

Or to be proper yam yam about it, yow lot am gunna hommer us one till we'm yampy  
    I've only just seen this. I can only see a Wolves win, hopefully it's not a 5-1 or worse. I've just had a txt about an early pub and we're supposed to be meeting at 8.45am. I won't be going :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28087
    mrkb said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    I’m hoping for a Keegan return ;)
    Mourinho is free ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    The great white hope - Couldn't manage Tranmere let alone Liverpool
    tFB Trader
    Hard one for the owners - Go back post Shankly and the boot room idea was excellent - But I believe fairly unique - Makes you wonder how much of it was 'luck' and/or right place right time - But it worked 

Hard to know who is the next potential Klopp - And to a degree you look around Europe and see who is the up and coming manager as per Klopp coming out of Dortmund - You look at what Emery has done before Villa, but failed at Arsenal - You look at what Posh nearly did at Spurs, but so far little else where 

Rangers and maybe you'd have said Stevie G was in with a shout - Post Villa and you'd say no

Either way, Klopp has become Mr LFC for a few years and the likes of Sarah have certainly enriched the whole process - The issue, IMO, with Fergie leaving Man U and Wenger leaving Arsenal, is that when they left they did not leave behind a good team for the next manager - Both sides were in need of a re-build, which is why Man U are still way behind where they need to be today and it has taken a few years for Arsenal to get back to a 'maybe' status - Who knows where it will go next for them 

Maybe for football it will be good if Pep goes soon as well - So it will become more of a level playing field for a while and maybe more exciting

If I had to make a bet I'd say Postecoglou
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11450
    "Hello? Mr Allardyce?"

Oh please, please. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hard one for the owners - Go back post Shankly and the boot room idea was excellent - But I believe fairly unique - Makes you wonder how much of it was 'luck' and/or right place right time - But it worked 

Hard to know who is the next potential Klopp - And to a degree you look around Europe and see who is the up and coming manager as per Klopp coming out of Dortmund - You look at what Emery has done before Villa, but failed at Arsenal - You look at what Posh nearly did at Spurs, but so far little else where 

Rangers and maybe you'd have said Stevie G was in with a shout - Post Villa and you'd say no

Either way, Klopp has become Mr LFC for a few years and the likes of Sarah have certainly enriched the whole process - The issue, IMO, with Fergie leaving Man U and Wenger leaving Arsenal, is that when they left they did not leave behind a good team for the next manager - Both sides were in need of a re-build, which is why Man U are still way behind where they need to be today and it has taken a few years for Arsenal to get back to a 'maybe' status - Who knows where it will go next for them 

Maybe for football it will be good if Pep goes soon as well - So it will become more of a level playing field for a while and maybe more exciting

If I had to make a bet I'd say Postecoglou
    Fuck off mate ;-)