The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited March 11
    Neutral here...but pool should have had a penalty after that doku challenge. I don't understand how that's not given. If they hadn't been screwed over so many times this season by incompetent officials we'd probably be considering them as favourites at this stage. If they don't win it then hopefully arsenal will as City are a bit of a thorn in the side of English football imo. Horrible club, whereas the other two contenders embody the true spirit of football. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1100
    Draw between City and Liverpool was a big favourable result for us but the visit to the Etihad later this is the biggie. If we beat them then it swings massively in our favour.
    It was a great game yesterday and Liverpool should have won.  I expect another good game between Arsenal and City, great to see three teams fighting for the title.  Arsena'ls form since Christmas has been unbelievable and they would almost be my favourites, but I think City have the easiest run in, followed by Liverpool, then Arsenal.  But not much in it at all.  I don't think Arsenal will fade like last year.
    After what happened last season (and when Brentford equalised on Saturday) I can't help but fear that blip will happen again but hopefully the team have learnt from that. The signing of Rice has made a massive difference but also 2 more players who've won the big trophies in Jorginho and Havertz have improved the team's mentality. Havertz had a good game and contributed nicely. What will be good vs City is they don't know what role he'll play exactly. Even I don't know where his best position is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1479
    Neutral here...but pool should have had a penalty after that doku challenge. I don't understand how that's not given. If they hadn't been screwed over so many times this season by incompetent officials we'd probably be considering them as favourites at this stage. If they don't win it then hopefully arsenal will as City are a bit of a thorn in the side of English football imo. Horrible club.
    Didn't see them complaining last week when they were (wrongly) gifted the ball back from a drop ball, which stopped Forest from attacking the Liverpool box and gave them the opportunity to go down the other end and score. 

The moaning of Liverpool fans across social media has been wonderful to see - especially given the fact none of them can admit they got away with one last week. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited March 11
    joneve said:
    Neutral here...but pool should have had a penalty after that doku challenge. I don't understand how that's not given. If they hadn't been screwed over so many times this season by incompetent officials we'd probably be considering them as favourites at this stage. If they don't win it then hopefully arsenal will as City are a bit of a thorn in the side of English football imo. Horrible club.
    Didn't see them complaining last week when they were (wrongly) gifted the ball back from a drop ball, which stopped Forest from attacking the Liverpool box and gave them the opportunity to go down the other end and score. 

The moaning of Liverpool fans across social media has been wonderful to see - especially given the fact none of them can admit they got away with one last week. 

The Liverpool goal came a fair while after that controversy, so it's not like forest didn't have time to regroup. Plus the time added on during which pool scored wouldn't have been played if the keeper wasn't feigning injury in the hope of wasting a bit of time. I saw the game and forest only have themselves to blame, particularly as they twice failed to clear the ball prior to the goal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4730
    Neutral here...but pool should have had a penalty after that doku challenge. I don't understand how that's not given. If they hadn't been screwed over so many times this season by incompetent officials we'd probably be considering them as favourites at this stage. If they don't win it then hopefully arsenal will as City are a bit of a thorn in the side of English football imo. Horrible club, whereas the other two contenders embody the true spirit of football. 
    Even as a Man U fan, I don't think City are a horrible club.  For a start their fans don't attack opposing team buses like some.  I'l never like they way they got to the top but at this point it is what it is.

That said, I prefer Liverpool's style of play.  Liverpool were the better team yesterday, againts the supposed best team in a world.  I can only take my hat off to them as a Man U fan considering we finished above them last season.

I thought it was a penalty as well, Liverpool should have won really.  The City goal was dubious as well.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23256
    This comment about Cole Palmer on the BBC website just cracked me up:

FFCteflon said:

Palmer is better than Messi was at that age. He should be knighted already, or made king like that 16yr old beer belly darts fella. GET IN THERE ME SON!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14469
    tFB Trader
    Late night for you Arsenal fans last night - If you had one shot and only one shot, would you now take the PL or the CL - I think you'd take the CL - As successful as you have been in the English league, your European trophy cabinet is very sparse and not been open for 30 years - So is it the CL ?
    Yeah that was a late one! Should have beaten them in normal time but I'll take whatever haha. Porto were stubborn and knew how to play the game to get it to penalties, I wanna give Pepe (the defender) a slap!

But Raya was the hero, great saves in the shootout and nice to see Ramsdale be the first to embrace him afterwards. The team is together.

Out of the League or the CL I'd take the league. The CL is a different thing altogether and we are a few things short from winning the elite competition. But if we fluke it all the way to the final and win it then I wouldn't be unhappy of course. The league is over a longer duration and there's more matches to play. In knock-out competitions there's less games and form isn't necessarily relevant.

I think Raya said yesterday in the post-match interview when asked the same thing, he said "both" so I'll say it as well haha.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6940
    ^ Agree - I cant name any winners of recent champions leagues - whereas the Premier league is more relevant/important.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Had we got knocked out yesterday I would have been like "whatever we were due to mess it up anyway let's focus on the league..." as I feel like we had a curse in the competition to get out the knockout-phase. Maybe this year will be different. Interested to see who we get in the Quarters.

Special mention to the captain for his energetic performance. Never stopped running or showing for the ball and the pass for Trossard's goal was magic. Tucked home is penalty and lead like a true captain. For what we paid Real Madrid for him we got a steal.
    tFB Trader
    Had we got knocked out yesterday I would have been like "whatever we were due to mess it up anyway let's focus on the league..." as I feel like we had a curse in the competition to get out the knockout-phase. Maybe this year will be different. Interested to see who we get in the Quarters.

Special mention to the captain for his energetic performance. Never stopped running or showing for the ball and the pass for Trossard's goal was magic. Tucked home is penalty and lead like a true captain. For what we paid Real Madrid for him we got a steal.
    Yes, great vision and pass by Odergaard for the goal
    UP THE FUCKING CHERRIES
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    UP THE FUCKING CHERRIES
    I bet you didn’t like the 3-0 part
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1756
    What an evening at Vitality and what a come back!

I must admit that Luton was impressive with converting everything in 1st half - they fought for staying up. 2nd half was all ours and going from 3 down to winning was amazing. 
    tFB Trader
    What an evening at Vitality and what a come back!

I must admit that Luton was impressive with converting everything in 1st half - they fought for staying up. 2nd half was all ours and going from 3 down to winning was amazing. 
    I was at a Leeds game v Derby in 1997 - We were 3 nil down - Our winner was just about in extra time - 4-3 - electric moment - So know how you feel
    joneve said:
    UP THE FUCKING CHERRIES
    I bet you didn’t like the 3-0 part
    Nope. Season was over, definitely relegated. 

Now there’s 30 points up for grabs, win on Saturday and we’re chasing Europa conference league spots. Haha. 
    Glad to see our Benny White sign a new contract til 2028. He's done very well at RB for us, despite being shown up by pacy-wingers, he's never injured and pretty lairy when he needs to be!

Seen he's not in the England squad though, apparently he 'made himself unavailable'. Something must have happened in the last tournament despite what Southgate says. But at least it reduces the risk of him being injured for the big game vs City. Now for Saka and Rice to withdraw due to 'minor hamstring precautions' haha.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27746
    Pretty sure I heard chants of "Moyes Out" around the 10min mark?

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    Glad to see our Benny White sign a new contract til 2028. He's done very well at RB for us, despite being shown up by pacy-wingers, he's never injured and pretty lairy when he needs to be!

Seen he's not in the England squad though, apparently he 'made himself unavailable'. Something must have happened in the last tournament despite what Southgate says. But at least it reduces the risk of him being injured for the big game vs City. Now for Saka and Rice to withdraw due to 'minor hamstring precautions' haha.
    Hard to know what has gone on there - I'm a BW fan going back to his time at Leeds - Level headed player on the pitch and doesn't come across as a knob head at all - he occasionally played RB at Leeds as well as the odd game at DM (but that never looked good IMO) - But looked a very promising CB
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11953
    There must be some personal reasons why BW doesn’t want to play for England at this moment in time, despite what Southgate says.

Very strange, surely he wants to play in the Euros…