Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• My neighbor works at the palace, she does change persona as soon as the camera are off and guests are gone.
    Apparently she often tells the staff she can bloody do things herself but is generally very civil unlike her mother was.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3232
    It may not become apparent for a few years as to what the Queen has brought to this country over the last 70 years. I hear a lot of words being used like stability, guidance and foundations, and if I'm honest tonight I do feel like the rug has been pulled from under our feet as a country, but I've no idea why that is. 

@Emp_Fab ; is right that none of us knew her personally and perhaps we shouldn't be gushing with emotion about her.  But nevertheless there is a sense of loss there.  Just like he felt it important enough to set up a tribute for Desmond Tutu, others now are feeling they want to pay respects to the Queen.

For me i have an 'uneasy' feeling about the future, now she's gone. I'm sure she's passed a lot of advice on to past prime ministers and head of states and all manner of people who have significant influence on our daily lives through the decisions they make. I don't think I've ever heard, or read, one negative comment about her from, well, people of influence I suppose. The Queen, just being the Queen, seemed to gain everyone's respect, even if the monarchy didn't. 

Most of us would accept an invitation to Buck House for a garden party or to be honoured by her. For some reason, I think it would mean more to a person coming from her than it would for example the PM and perhaps even our new king.  It's hard to put a finger on why that is, but maybe deep inside all of us we want to aspire to better things and we look for a role model who we respect enough to provide that. Churchill had it, in the States Kennedy had it, Ghandi had it, Pope John Paul had it. Past royalty in this country, in the main, seemed to have had it, but I'm not sure that Charles or William will improve on whatever it was the Queen did for us all.  As @Emp_Fab alluded to 'whatever that was'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32125
    Well whatever, King Charles might be a bit of an overprivileged chump himself, but personally I'm looking forward to a monarch who speaks out on environmental issues, on injustice, on the criminal actions of governments rather than the total passivity of what we've all grown up with. 

There's a good chance he'll tone it down a bit now, but given his already-known views it'll be fascinating to see how Downing Street plays it in terms of instructing the tabloids to tear apart a reigning British monarch. 

Interesting times ahead!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 645
    Human level sad, my Gran is the same age and well, the inevitable is always expected at that age. Separating the institution from the people.

Must be remembered that very few people alive would remember the previous monarch and Elizabeth II is the only experience we have. Post war continuity, with the development of civic society to where we are now. I think Charles has a lot of baggage and the whole Black Spider stuff may well pout the whole edifice in a difficult position as I don't think he will be able to be as inscrutable and apolitical as his mum.

Should be a good time to take a look at the whole institution of monarchy, as a non monarchist at the least it should be more like the North European ones which are very much ceremonial only and very streamlined. Maybe abolished along with the House of Lords and the idea that someone is inherently superior simply by accidents of birth, but that is for another time.

My main worry is what will the Tories do under the cover of this news........ And the health of the Royal Correspondants in the Mail, Telegraph etc.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1362
    Seemed like a nice lady.   Probably lived her life wondering what it would have been like if she wasn't Queen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27215
    edited September 2022
    Okay, we've had numerous rule breaks in this thread thus far. We've kind of let it go because we understand that it's an emotional time for some folk, which always means tension.

However, that stops now; I asked nicely before, and now I'm outright stating it (though I wish I didn't have to):  any further rule breaks and aggression will result in this thread being closed (in favour of the more civilised one in Tributes), and sanctions being applied.

Please be mindful, both of your own position here and other folks' feelings. Put bluntly: if you can't think of anything nice to say and yet still feel the need to say something, please pick a better time and place.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24782
    McToot said:

You, sir, are a total imbecile. 
    LOL.  "You, Sir" !!  Are you stuck in a 1940's film or something ?!!  

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11602
    I remember watching a tv programme about her life and what she did on a daily basis. Whilst some may say much of it was “symbolic” and “of no use” her day was full of paperwork and meetings and organising….. so much stuff she had to do…

Her duties. 

Alas, the sort of programme that people who don’t like the monarchy wouldn’t watch…..
    Imagine being told you have to entertain Trump! Jeez!

DUTY a word which seems to be loosing its importance and relevance.
    For all the privilege I wouldn’t have wanted the roll for anything. To be in the public eye, under scrutiny, all the time.

I was brought up a Royalist, but times change….. I don’t think we will see her kind again and I don’t know what the alternative could be?

RIP Elizabeth

There would be a strong chance of winding up with President Boris.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 645
    crunchman said:
    I remember watching a tv programme about her life and what she did on a daily basis. Whilst some may say much of it was “symbolic” and “of no use” her day was full of paperwork and meetings and organising….. so much stuff she had to do…

Her duties. 

Alas, the sort of programme that people who don’t like the monarchy wouldn’t watch…..
    Imagine being told you have to entertain Trump! Jeez!

DUTY a word which seems to be loosing its importance and relevance.
    For all the privilege I wouldn’t have wanted the roll for anything. To be in the public eye, under scrutiny, all the time.

I was brought up a Royalist, but times change….. I don’t think we will see her kind again and I don’t know what the alternative could be?

RIP Elizabeth

There would be a strong chance of winding up with President Boris.

Never been sure about this arguement, President Blair is also touted. I think it would really depend on what form of Republic would be designed. Doesn't have to be Boris or anyone, doesn't have to have any more than ceremonial duties even just an appointment for opening Parliament etc. We could even just have the physical Crown with no human input at all.

But then I remember the likes of the people who would be designing the system.................... Hmm, Truss etc......

I would say it would have to be part of a wider politcal/constitutional settlement and the way things are now are probably not really sustainable.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32125
    I think the most worrying thing is that there is now tumbleweed blowing through the P&E section, which could be seen as a microcosm of the country at large. 

Not only is there the inevitable news blackout when these things happen, but rational thought processes are suspended. 

We need to be very vigilant about what the government are up to at this very vulnerable time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    p90fool said:
    Well whatever, King Charles might be a bit of an overprivileged chump himself, but personally I'm looking forward to a monarch who speaks out on environmental issues, on injustice, on the criminal actions of governments rather than the total passivity of what we've all grown up with. 

There's a good chance he'll tone it down a bit now, but given his already-known views it'll be fascinating to see how Downing Street plays it in terms of instructing the tabloids to tear apart a reigning British monarch. 

Interesting times ahead!

I suspect he will tone it down a lot.  There are obligations and constraints which protocol demands of the Monarch and which do not apply to the Prince of Wales.  I'm confident he'll fall into line with those obligations and constraints.

Special message to the Welsh Rugby Union.  The Queen's title is "Her Majesty" not "Her Royal Highness".  Pro tip. Don't let the work experience kid loose on your Twitter account.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @siremoon - I think that technically, after her passing, Charles is immediately King, and only the monarch has the title "majesty" so possibly it was someone being very accurate? But I suspect work experience in this case!
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited September 2022
    @siremoon - I think that technically, after her passing, Charles is immediately King, and only the monarch has the title "majesty" so possibly it was someone being very accurate? But I suspect work experience in this case!

Nope.  She remains Her Majesty even after her passing. 

The Queen Mother was Her Majesty when she was alive alongside The Queen
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • horsehorse Frets: 1600
    Well it's been a busy night scrolling social media for any posts not related to the Queen, and commenting

"Show some bloody respect you utter utter baaaaastard"
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7288
    p90fool said:

Interesting times ahead!
    Yeah I like his ecological outlook but disappointed he's gone with Charles the third as he'll obviously be rhyming slang for poo now.

But will he unleash a reign of terror or of glory?? We'll have to wait and see.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15935
    p90fool said:
    I think the most worrying thing is that there is now tumbleweed blowing through the P&E section, which could be seen as a microcosm of the country at large. 

Not only is there the inevitable news blackout when these things happen, but rational thought processes are suspended. 

We need to be very vigilant about what the government are up to at this very vulnerable time. 
    yup, my thoughts were this is a very good time to do shit and bury bad news. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    p90fool said:

yup, my thoughts were this is a very good time to do shit and bury bad news. 

…. and sell it as ‘doing our civic duty’

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7288
    edited September 2022
    Okay, we've had numerous rule breaks in this thread thus far. We've kind of let it go because we understand that it's an emotional time for some folk, which always means tension.

However, that stops now; I asked nicely before, and now I'm outright stating it (though I wish I didn't have to):  any further rule breaks and aggression will result in this thread being closed (in favour of the more civilised one in Tributes), and sanctions being applied.

Please be mindful, both of your own position here and other folks' feelings. Put bluntly: if you can't think of anything nice to say and yet still feel the need to say something, please pick a better time and place.
    Well said. It'd be horrible for the queen to go the same way as She Hulk.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @siremoon ooh, yeah, good point. Shame on you, WRI tea fetcher! 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6277
    What I find weird, is how people get all upset and crying. Saying things like - she was who we turned to when times were hard, our rock etc etc.

Really? Genuinely - really? 

I find the monarchy obscene as a concept, anachronistic and personally irrelevant.

However, out of them all, she was the most dignified. I doubt we will see another like her. RIP.

Now would be good time to become a republic IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom