Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9882
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    Edit: I'm quite happy for all that pomp to remain - for those that like that kind of thing and tourists. But only If the royals pay for it themselves and they no longer have a position in our political system. 
    This. It is absolutely abhorrent that an unelected billionaire gets to manipulate the law to her own further advantage. Let's not forget that chucked millions at her sex offender son rather than let him face justice.

Vile institution; vile, evil woman. 
    You could have worded that a lot better , especially the final part of last sentence which is frankly bollocks
    She systematically manipulated the country's laws to her advantage, and saved a sex offender from justice. Correct me if I'm wrong. 
    Surely HM didn’t make the country’s laws - that’s the job of parliament.

Alleged sex offender.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12692
    Snap said:

Now would be good time to become a republic IMO. 
    I tend to agree.  However, people will be looking for some reassurance and continuity after Liz's passing in these turbulent times.  The best time for the dialing down of the monarchy would be post-Chaz and my hope is that as a bit of a revisionist, he may just lay the foundations for that to happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7459
    edited September 2022
    drofluf said:
    tony99 said:
    so what happens with money?

I have about £60 in notes and £20 odd in coins (yeah the great gatsby)

is it still fine?

It’ll be fine until the coronation but after that you won’t be able to spend it but will have to wait until the Charles III notes and coins have been printed and minted. Then you can go to your bank and exchange them. 
    Where have you read this? They've only just made the new notes with her face on them. If you could still spend the old paper notes until a bit ago, I seriously doubt they're going to say money with the Queen's face on it only lasts the next few weeks.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6277
    Offset said:
    Snap said:

Now would be good time to become a republic IMO. 
    I tend to agree.  However, people will be looking for some reassurance and continuity after Liz's passing in these turbulent times.  The best time for the dialing down of the monarchy would be post-Chaz and my hope is that as a bit of a revisionist, he may just lay the foundations for that to happen.
    Another thing I don't get, one bit, is how people look to the monarchy for reassurance. I'm not dismissing it (how people feel is their own business), but I don't understand it.

Even as a staunch anti royalist, her death is certainly a significant event, no denying that. What I find a bit nauseating is the amount of (IMO again) fake sentiment and emotion: I think that is a factor of the modern age, this desire for mass participation. Maybe it reflects on the state of people's lives, who knows? 

It's not for me.

As for the memes and insulting comments flying around on various platforms, well that says more about the people taking part in them really. It's distasteful. 

My gut reaction to these sort of events is to distance. I remember when Diana died, the country seemed to lose the plot. One thing that I clearly remember is how fast the internet was that morning! Seemed no-one was on it at all, they were all watching TV or listening to the radio, not surfing Altavista or Metacrawler.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4423
    DefaultM said:
    drofluf said:
    tony99 said:

is it still fine?

It’ll be fine until the coronation but after that you won’t be able to spend it but will have to wait until the Charles III notes and coins have been printed and minted. Then you can go to your bank and exchange them. 
    Where have you read this? They've only just made the new notes with her face on them. If you could still spend the old paper notes until a bit ago, I seriously doubt they're going to say money with the Queen's face on it only lasts the next few weeks.
    It certainly didn't come from the Bank of England because they've said they're not going to say anything about bank notes until after a period of mourning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6326
    I'm left wondering what her illness was.

She seemed very bright in the photos with Truss, despite a bruised hand (cannula?). And it seemed reasonable that "mobility issues" for any 96yo would slowly minimise her ability to do stuff. So there didn't seem to be any impending demise.

But to suddenly pass away, and with no question at all about emergency treatment?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtop said:

She seemed very bright in the photos with Truss, despite a bruised hand (cannula?). And it seemed reasonable that "mobility issues" for any 96yo would slowly minimise her ability to do stuff. So there didn't seem to be any impending demise.

But to suddenly pass away, and with no question at all about emergency treatment?

Loads of older people die in their sleep. Could have been as simple as an afternoon nap that was her last.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Stroke?
  • Stroke?

I'd prefer a cuddle
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6277
    Just realised that calling for the abolition of the monarchy is still a crime of treason, punishable by life imprisonment!!
    I better retract my comments.......!!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28166
    DefaultM said:
    drofluf said:
    tony99 said:

is it still fine?

Coins, notes, stamps, etc, will remain valid for years.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8222
    Lewy said:
    DefaultM said:
    drofluf said:
    tony99 said:

is it still fine?

It certainly didn't come from the Bank of England because they've said they're not going to say anything about bank notes until after a period of mourning.
    Jesus guys, can you not spot a wind-up or what? Goodness me....  =)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7095
    Stroke?

I'd prefer a cuddle
    I agree. As we're being forced into 10 days of national mourning (theres even talk of premier league games being cancelled!) theres plenty of time, so start slowly and people can build up to a mass patriotic/nationalistic frenzy later.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32125
    mrkb said:
    Stroke?

I'd prefer a cuddle
    I agree. As we're being forced into 10 days of national mourning (theres even talk of premier league games being cancelled!) theres plenty of time, so start slowly and people can build up to a mass patriotic/nationalistic frenzy later.

They've just called off the Tour of Britain halfway through, a cycling event people have trained for for a year. 

Why does every bloody thing have to turn from a mark of respect into a national psychosis?  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    mrkb said:
    Stroke?

I'd prefer a cuddle

They've just called off the Tour of Britain halfway through, a cycling event people have trained for for a year. 

Why does every bloody thing have to turn from a mark of respect into a national psychosis?  
    Apparently this was partly down to policing and a shift of manpower from the counties to London for funeral events. Sucks though. Was looking forward to it as the race was going to be very close to where we live. 

• goldtop said:

I too am very surprised at how quickly her essential systems suddenly shutdown. She seemed very frail in the meeting with Truss. It is quite apparent how much she deteriorated since the 70 Jubilee celebrations.

Lady Colin Campbell explains what The Queen was suffering from, which isn't in the public domain:- 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19627
    The Tour of Britain went through my village.
    Lots of people in lycra on bikes... pretty much business as usual round here
    ;)
    Have to agree with @p90fool cancelling the race seems OTT & things seem to be getting a bit sackcloth & ashes.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15935
    I'm looking forwards to the whole "you aren't showing enough grief" syndrome, when people will force others to feel what they're feeling. We're not there yet but I'm seeing posts on social media (including threats of violence) along those lines.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

• At this point I like to remember when she met BB King.  BB gave her some great advice!

• DominicDominic Frets: 16308
    What saddens me more than the Death of Her Majesty The Queen itself ,which was fairly imminent is the way some people here have reacted . Quite incredible really. I really hope that is not a fair barometer of the British people.
     As a matter of manners and good grace it's quite peculiar . Somebody Died .
     Would you go to a simple dinner party and tell the hostess her cooking was shit or be invited to somebody's home and then tell them that they have a horrible house and it's dirty . NO.
        All of that is completely taken as normal decent behaviour ......it's fine being anti-Monarchy but it's never fine to be  ingracious ,unfeeling and ill-mannered .
    Tony Benn was a fanatical anti -Monarchist ,a great politician and thinker but also a Gentleman .He would not have behaved so appallingly. Proclaiming yourself Left Wing does not excuse you from good grace and manners nor a sense of what is appropriate and especially WHEN .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom